4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reaper Problem, Getting signal but not recording
Mertay
Dec 5 2020, 02:10 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 5 2020, 10:28 AM) *
Just yesterday you were saying you were going to install CAKEWALK?

laugh.gif Reaper users specially after customizations can't give-up on it easily smile.gif I didn't ask the details but the SWS he mentioned for example is a customization.

I for example used a custom action to level all those reverb examples to -23 lufs, after selecting an action its just 1 click and near instantaneous with all tracks. Logic or PT for example to my knowledge doesn't have this, even if you buy a cool metering plug-in you still have to wait for it to measure loudness...there are currently 1000's of action available.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 5 2020, 02:12 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 5 2020, 02:34 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I know but that felt like giving up and you know me buddy, I hate being beat wink.gif it was my frustrated head talking.

Plus if I install the portable install to my HD and it works then I can use that. One of the blokes on the Cockos forum said "I run a portable V6 on my desktop as well as keeping my V5 as my main install, and am slowly moving over all my configs etc over from the V5 to the V6. Once I am happy with the V6 setup, I can save my V6 configs, and then overwrite my main install with a fresh V6 and then install the configs saved from the portable"

I don't really understand what a portable installation is if it can run fine on a HD which I haven't tested yet, then why have the non portable installation.?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 5 2020, 10:28 AM) *
Just yesterday you were saying you were going to install CAKEWALK?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 5 2020, 04:05 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 5 2020, 01:34 PM) *
I know but that felt like giving up and you know me buddy, I hate being beat wink.gif it was my frustrated head talking.

Plus if I install the portable install to my HD and it works then I can use that. One of the blokes on the Cockos forum said "I run a portable V6 on my desktop as well as keeping my V5 as my main install, and am slowly moving over all my configs etc over from the V5 to the V6. Once I am happy with the V6 setup, I can save my V6 configs, and then overwrite my main install with a fresh V6 and then install the configs saved from the portable"

I don't really understand what a portable installation is if it can run fine on a HD which I haven't tested yet, then why have the non portable installation.?

Portable can work from simply inside a folder, without the need of any registery to the system. It may start reaper or scan plug-ins a little bit slower but other than that should work with the same performance.

If it works, then my previous message may be the main reason of the problems.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 5 2020, 04:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 5 2020, 09:09 PM
I had an idea but it didn't work.

I exported the config from my Reaper 6 on my desktop and imported to my Reaper 6 on my laptop. Nothing changed, still no waveforms.

I installed the portable version to my desktop and it works fine so I'll use that until the main install gets sorted, if it ever does.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 5 2020, 09:20 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 5 2020, 08:09 PM) *
I had an idea but it didn't work.

I exported the config from my Reaper 6 on my desktop and imported to my Reaper 6 on my laptop. Nothing changed, still no waveforms.

I installed the portable version to my desktop and it works fine so I'll use that until the main install gets sorted, if it ever does.

Cheers

Then its like related to my previous post;

I see try this; open reaper, file, clean current project director. When clicked a box appears and on top it writes how many files and where they are located at, click "explore" to go to that file. Mine is at C:\Users\merty\Documents\REAPER Media...

Let me know what happens when you click that explore button (with the problematic reaper install).

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 5 2020, 09:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 5 2020, 10:03 PM
I'm just going to do that now buddy, but before I read your message I just uninstalled Reaper 6 on my laptop, installed Reaper 5 and I have the same issue, no waveforms, also the having to save before I can record issue is there. Something must be deep in the system but still linked to any Reaper installed on the hard drive. I must be in the registry. I'm wondering if it's worth re-installing Windows 10 again?

This is what I get

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 5 2020, 10:04 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 5 2020, 10:04 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 5 2020, 08:59 PM) *

My guess is because a temporary folder isn't created when installed, reaper cannot place data so thats why this is happening. Portable version works cause it uses the folder its in as a temp. folder.

Basically reaper needs a folder so it can save those waveform images you would normally see under the hood.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 5 2020, 10:50 PM
I've never had this with Reaper though, sometimes I forget to save the project first (I'm always in a rush due to time restraints) and when I try to close Reaper it prompts a save, I've never had to save first.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 5 2020, 11:04 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 5 2020, 09:03 PM) *
This is what I get

This might be the problem, while mine uses documents folder yours lead to one drive desktop. You're sure this isn't portable version right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 5 2020, 11:47 PM
Yeah that is the HD install.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 5 2020, 11:49 PM
I'm not sure if this will fix it but my guess is;

-Create a file anywhere in your c drive for reaper to use
-go optipns, preferences, paths
-there the 3rd one "default recording path, when project is unsaved..." click browse and select the file you created on first step.

If this doesn't work;

-go optipns, preferences, paths
-there is a tick box "select all peak caches (reapeaks)..." , select it and under that
browse to the file you created on step 1.

So to me its the ".reapeaks" that are causing the problem as they are not assigned to be placed in a proper folder.

But naturally I'm not 100% sure about this, maybe asking the reaper forum would be a good idea to be safe.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 5 2020, 11:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2020, 12:01 AM
I always have the rea peaks sent to a dedicated folder, always done the same, it makes the project folder tidy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 6 2020, 12:24 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 5 2020, 11:01 PM) *
I always have the rea peaks sent to a dedicated folder, always done the same, it makes the project folder tidy.

Then likely its related to the "default recording path, when project is unsaved..." adjustment. At-least this is my best guess till now.

Edit; could you check that dedicated folder for reapeaks? cause if you re-installed windows that dedicated folder may not be there anymore and that may be causing a problem when you load your config. file.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 6 2020, 12:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2020, 09:17 AM
Yeah that dedicated folder is there, it's on my D: drive

I can live with the save thing, it's just handy if you want to do a quick recording and render the file without having to save a project.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 6 2020, 09:31 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 6 2020, 10:07 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 6 2020, 08:17 AM) *
Yeah that dedicated folder is there, it's on my D: drive

I can live with the save thing, it's just handy if you want to do a quick recording and render the file without having to save a project.

Ok keep in mind on the reaper tutorial video's (I forgot how its done right now) one of the first thing suggested was adjusting those peak files to automatically be placed in a folder (instead of in the same as the save file).

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 6 2020, 10:26 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2020, 10:30 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 6 2020, 09:07 AM) *
Ok keep in mind on the reaper tutorial video's (I forgot how its done right now) one of the first thing suggested was adjusting those peak files to automatically be placed in a folder (instead of in the same as the save file).

Yes I've done that. It's crazy, I've used Reaper for years, installed it many times and never had an issue like this.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2020, 01:34 PM
I am so so sorry Mertay, and Todd.

I woke up at 2am this morning with an idea which has solved the two issues. My subconcious must have been working away on all the things you've said to me.

Number one, for some reason, probably my lack of understanding of Reaper (I wish there was a Dummies Guide To All Things Reaper)I never assciated the waveforms with the word "peaks".

It suddenly dawned on me in the early hours, has my OneDrive account synced the folders yet? When I checked the status of the peaks folder and the default recording path when project is unsaved they both said "sync pending". I quickly created two new folders and set up the paths and bingo, it works fine. My entire D: drive is on the cloud, it has everything except for program files on it so it's a fair amount of GBs and I remember when I first set it up I left my desktop computer on for a few days, the laptop doesn't sync as much as the desktop but it's still a lot.

I don't know why it hadn't synced those two folders when other items in the same place were synced maybe it priorotises somehow? There must be a way of stopping OneDrive syncing everything when you re-install Windows which I'll look into.

I am so sorry to have wasted your time but it was your advice that got my brain thinking, it's a shame it took it so long. At least I'll know in future.

I fully understand if you want to slap me in the face with a wet kipper but you did help by pointing me in the right direction so I'm thankful of that.

I've installed Reaper numerous times without issues so it was really doing my head in.

Thanks again and apologies again. I feel a compete and utter pillock unsure.gif

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 6 2020, 02:25 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 6 2020, 02:46 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 6 2020, 12:34 PM) *

Lol no actually to me everything happened the way it should have been.

I'm happy to be able to narrow down the problem causes, I couldn't go further than that anyway as your system is your design so you know best. It was always up to you to figure out and fix as the last step, glad our effort helped smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2020, 03:08 PM
Thank you for your understanding buddy cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 6 2020, 07:34 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 6 2020, 03:08 PM) *
Thank you for your understanding buddy cool.gif

remember your first post , "is there a button "i am not pushing

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:50 AM