Follow Your Dream Rig, But ensure you never reach the end of the rainbow
Azzaboi
Aug 4 2014, 09:32 PM
GMC:er
Lately I feel I've been extremely over concerned with gear, rather than jamming away!
I never had this issue before on my starting off basic gear, but slowly built up to the Line 6 - Dream Rig.

A sweet as setup: DT50 Amp <> PodHD 500 effects <> Variax JTV-89F

Sure it sounds great, but I'm no where satisfied by it... I'm beginning to hate it, due to the fact I tweak and adjust tones, etc, more than I do playing them now. So there's a fine line between quality gear and practice. Understand that most of the tone actually comes from your own hands and don't get carried away too far with your gear!

I'm now considering if to sell the Variax, as I play too much with the features.

Don't get me wrong - the Line 6 Dream Rig is very nice and can sound great, but my high and long period of expectations working up to it, kinda destroyed it as my dream. I'm always trying to find a better tone for it, higher gain, etc - rather than focusing on my own playing skills.

What have you guys purchased, dreamed of, and was crushed or slightly disappointed in the end when you finally got it?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 4 2014, 10:55 PM
Funny, I play through soundcard so output of guitar means nothing technically (as gain is from soundcard preamp).

But after doing a gazillion pickup and electrical modifications I realized I didn't like the "feel" of the guitar rather than tone. I only increased the output of the pickups and now much happier. This still puzzles me technically smile.gif

Alternative to this might have been a distortion pedal (digitech grunge, boss metalzone...), did you try adding something analog to the chain?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 4 2014, 10:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 5 2014, 05:12 AM
Easy answer for me smile.gif

1.)The DIGITECH 1101 (Worst High Gain Ever)
Attached Image
2.)Pod XT (Second Worst High Gain Ever)
Attached Image
Of course this is one mans opine and some folks probably LOVE the gain from those units. For me it was awful.

On the line 6, it did have a million options and parameters. I'm a bit of a parameter tweaker so it too me an entire week of non stop testing to figure that I just couldn't get the sound I wanted. Honestly, it's a problem with the line six high gain emulation IMHO. It's fine for solos generally but runs a bit muddy once you get it hot enough. Cleans were amazing though smile.gif Mid gain too.

You may be better off swapping out for axe fx or kemper or Eleven Rack. That way you can get just about any tone you like pre built by somebody and just download it. All these units have killer gain at any level.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 5 2014, 05:46 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Aug 5 2014, 07:05 AM
As much of a gear freak as I am, my expectations with gear is always pretty low - seriously. So I'm rarely disappointed.

I'm more surprised and fascinated by how I can make some weird or unpopular piece of equipment work for me.
The high-end guitar builder John Suhr has the best quote regarding gear and tone ...
"Most tone issues are resolved with practice".

This post has been edited by klasaine: Aug 5 2014, 07:07 AM

+Quote Post
Mith
Aug 5 2014, 04:14 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I hear what Azza is getting at. Its not a tone problem with the gear so much its the having too many options problem. For people always hunting for the perfect tone it can be killer because u always try and get the most out of it. Least with a tube amp the options are more plug and play. In saying that I've got a POD HD Pro which I think is great but trying to bring myself to justifying a Axe FX. It sounds great from the clips Ive seen but it sure does have a price tag

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 5 2014, 07:24 PM
Instructor
This thread made me remember the worst investment in gear that I did in my life. This happened around 20 years ago. I bought this pedalboard without any experience with this type of gear. I had it for 3 or 4 years, I'd never found a sound that I liked and it broke down more than 5 times. It was very bad sounding and very bad quality. Sorry Digitech but I still have prejudice with this brand...

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 5 2014, 08:28 PM
My biggest let down was probably my very first USA Fender Strat, believe it or not!
Having owned several different Strats ( Mexican and a few Japanese ones and also an original JV Squier) it just didn't live up to expectations, I was thinking about how much better it would be than any of the others and the truth is it was a bag of spanners!! My old JV Squier would walk all over it quality-wise and sound-wise!
smile.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Aug 5 2014, 08:29 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Aug 5 2014, 08:55 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 5 2014, 06:24 PM) *
This thread made me remember the worst investment in gear that I did in my life. This happened around 20 years ago. I bought this pedalboard without any experience with this type of gear. I had it for 3 or 4 years, I'd never found a sound that I liked and it broke down more than 5 times. It was very bad sounding and very bad quality. Sorry Digitech but I still have prejudice with this brand...

Attached Image

ehehh I sort of remember those smile.gif funny thing, nowadays where I llive anyone who has a decent amp (usually blues guys) are hunting RP7's. But they only use it for the chorus, flange stuff as the processor has a tube in it they find there "extra" fx very useful and affordable smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Aug 5 2014, 03:14 PM) *
I hear what Azza is getting at. Its not a tone problem with the gear so much its the having too many options problem. For people always hunting for the perfect tone it can be killer because u always try and get the most out of it. Least with a tube amp the options are more plug and play. In saying that I've got a POD HD Pro which I think is great but trying to bring myself to justifying a Axe FX. It sounds great from the clips Ive seen but it sure does have a price tag

Been there smile.gif but figured out trick is to adjust tone to a backing track (preferably a good/traditional or album-like sounding one). Otherwise the next day the tweaked sound simply sound different than expected smile.gif

You guys probably heard the success of S-gear right? I demoed it when it was first out and relized it was nothing but good depth which helped sit in a mix just like a pro album which made it sound good. Otherwise it has no technology thats any different from whatevers out there wink.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Aug 5 2014, 08:59 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Aug 6 2014, 07:07 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 5 2014, 04:12 PM) *
Of course this is one mans opine and some folks probably LOVE the gain from those units. For me it was awful.

On the line 6, it did have a million options and parameters. I'm a bit of a parameter tweaker so it too me an entire week of non stop testing to figure that I just couldn't get the sound I wanted. Honestly, it's a problem with the line six high gain emulation IMHO. It's fine for solos generally but runs a bit muddy once you get it hot enough. Cleans were amazing though smile.gif Mid gain too.

You may be better off swapping out for axe fx or kemper or Eleven Rack. That way you can get just about any tone you like pre built by somebody and just download it. All these units have killer gain at any level.

This is what I'm actually thinking...

I loved the Pod Bean starting off on, apart from it being a bit digital.

The Pod HD 500 took some care of that and is really good with the DT50 - cleans are awesome, jazz, blues and rock is sweet as, but the high gain emulation I want to use a lot, I still have to fight with it and hunt for a quality tone! My craving and ear for tone has developed a lot over the years - I can hear something isn't quite right.

The DT50 Amp is half digital / half tube - which is ideal for lower volumes. However, true tone doesn't really kick in until it's over a loudness point and kicking in the tubes, then high gain becomes muddy/fuzzy, so add a noise gate and it cuts some of the tone out. I find it really annoying to get a good kick into it and still being clear of saturation, even with low reverb.

One issue I believe is the DT50 weights a ton and sits in the corner of my room (with really no where else it can go). Probably weights more than me, I just can barely carry/move it. Can't take it out far. However that corner might be creating a bass sound reflection or something for the amp while it's being played?

The Axe FX II - Mark 2 was never available for purchase in NZ, until just this week... talk about timing! Was it meant to be?
I'm highly considering that as a replacement, with an Atomic CTR Active Wedge AMP. That shouldn't have any issues with the room right?

There's also a crazy guy selling a second hand AXE FX 2 - Mark 1. I might be looking at that coming with the MFC-101 control board and Matrix GT1000FX power amp too, fingers crossed - might get for half the price. Looks very good nick, only used a few gigs, etc. However, he's also selling guns / hunting rifles - so a little freak out it might be stolen and he'll just shoot me for da cash. Either way, I think he's crazy for selling it!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Aug 6 2014, 07:25 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 9 2014, 03:15 AM
The axe fx rig you are describing is pretty much the standard issue "pro rig" for touring musicians and anyone else wanting serious amounts of crazy gain in a portable package with fewer sonic limitations. The matrix power is a perfect choice and pairs very well with the axe fx, well done there.

The MFC is also perfect for the unit but keep in mind you will need a wah controller if you want manual foot control.

So yeah that rig would pretty much do it smile.gif and it's portable. The speaker cab is also a fine choice as it's full range, you get none of the limits of normal guitars cabs and it's angled so it can point at your head and not at your shins so you can hear it. I'd say go for it smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Aug 6 2014, 02:07 PM) *
This is what I'm actually thinking...

There's also a crazy guy selling a second hand AXE FX 2 - Mark 1. I might be looking at that coming with the MFC-101 control board and Matrix GT1000FX power amp too, fingers crossed - might get for half the price. Looks very good nick, only used a few gigs, etc. However, he's also selling guns / hunting rifles - so a little freak out it might be stolen and he'll just shoot me for da cash. Either way, I think he's crazy for selling it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:32 AM