Speed Picking Q
mattacuk
Jan 21 2007, 04:12 AM
Lets go fishing!
Hi dudes,
I have been practicing my speed picking. I have watched the Speed picking/alternate picking basics video twice and have been playing the suggested pattern to metronome daily;

E---------12-14-15
B12-13-15---------

I always play up down up down on one string. But my question is..........when moveing up or down a string, do I have to be mindful that I have played say a down stroke on the E string before moving up to the B string with an upstroke? And vice versa making sure i have executed an up stroke on the B string in order to move down onto the E string?

thanks! cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 04:28 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 21 2007, 04:12 AM) *
Hi dudes,
I have been practicing my speed picking. I have watched the Speed picking/alternate picking basics video twice and have been playing the suggested pattern to metronome daily;

E---------12-14-15
B12-13-15---------

I always play up down up down on one string. But my question is..........when moveing up or down a string, do I have to be mindful that I have played say a down stroke on the E string before moving up to the B string with an upstroke? And vice versa making sure i have executed an up stroke on the B string in order to move down onto the E string?

thanks! cool.gif

Just start with a down or upstroke and religiously follow up down up down from there, or down up down up, no matter which strings you change or what you do.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 21 2007, 04:33 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Why @ Jan 21 2007, 03:28 AM) *
Just start with a down or upstroke and religiously follow up down up down from there, or down up down up, no matter which strings you change or what you do.

So you are saying that i if i move up a string my last stroke should be down, and vice versa yes?

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Norven
Jan 21 2007, 04:50 AM
It isn´t about if you change strings:S

just ALWAYS up-down-up down

check on theese examples

U D U D U D
-10-8-7------------------
----------10-8-7---------
---------------------------

D U D U D U

As you see: ALWAYS up-down.. I think that Kris have mention that? laugh.gif

--------------------
The Guitar may be the love of life.

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 09:15 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jan 21 2007, 04:33 AM) *
So you are saying that i if i move up a string my last stroke should be down, and vice versa yes?

Depends on how many notes you play on a string in your lick, you'll be going down, up, down then change strings with an up, cause you're playing three notes per string.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jan 21 2007, 05:52 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Norven @ Jan 21 2007, 03:50 AM) *
It isn´t about if you change strings:S

just ALWAYS up-down-up down

check on theese examples

U D U D U D

D U D U D U

As you see: ALWAYS up-down.. I think that Kris have mention that? laugh.gif

This answers my question!! thanks all for your help.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:50 PM