"chuka"/mutted String Sound, How much has to do with tone?
iamblackmo
Sep 5 2009, 09:46 PM
GMC:er
Generally it is denoted by ----x---- on tab but you guys know what I am talking about.

I cant do them on one of my guitars but on my RG570, which I know has better pick-ups. I can get great range of tone just by using the volume knob.

If I turn it all the way down, I get almost this clean/barley overdriven tone, that sounds awesome. I should probably get the electronics looked at though because shouldn't there be no sound when the knob is all the way down? :-)

So, is it the guitar, the user, or tone from the amp. I notice the "clicking" noise I like much more with less gain.

Thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by iamblackmo: Sep 5 2009, 10:23 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 5 2009, 10:36 PM
Instructor
Yeah, there shouldn't be any sound when pot is turned all the way down,
probably some electronic issue with soldering the top
or with the pot itself...

However the X note in tabs which is dead note btw
totally has nothing to do with the sound cause you can perform it on any sound,
clean, OD, distorted, uber distorted etc. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 5 2009, 11:10 PM
Instructor
Like Muris said, the pot probably needs fixing/replacement. It's not so expensive to do this, and while you're at it, it may be wise to put some quality pot inside so it doesn't roll off highs when you turn down the volume.

About the X, it stands for muted note in most cases, wetter you mute it with the palm of your picking hand, or your fretting hand.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
iamblackmo
Sep 5 2009, 11:26 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 5 2009, 06:10 PM) *
Like Muris said, the pot probably needs fixing/replacement. It's not so expensive to do this, and while you're at it, it may be wise to put some quality pot inside so it doesn't roll off highs when you turn down the volume.

About the X, it stands for muted note in most cases, wetter you mute it with the palm of your picking hand, or your fretting hand.

Yea, that does make sense. I guess I just like the different dynamics of the dead notes at varying tones.

This post has been edited by iamblackmo: Sep 5 2009, 11:27 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 5 2009, 11:34 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I guess that click "tone" you like comes from different EQ settings that exaggerate it in a certain way you like. Of course you can perform dead notes on any settings, gain, clean even with effects (wah-wah! smile.gif )

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:19 PM