> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Blues Licks, Lesson By Gabriel Leopardi
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

nikeman64
Mar 24 2016, 08:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Original lesson: Blues Licks by Gabriel Leopardi

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Mar 26 2016, 07:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Nico, this is a good challenge. An up tempo blues track with quick, precise bends.

You handle the bending really well and your timing is always excellent, which I'm really pleased about. I love your delivery of that repeating lick at 0:18 as well - very smooth.

There's only one recurring bend / note that isn't in the same league as the rest of the take. It's that C note on the 5th fret, G string. It never sounds quite right to me.

I think you're probably pulling the note a little too sharp. The issue with these fast downward bends is that the player doesn't have too much time to get comfortable with the bend so they often over compensate and yank the note too far out of pitch because they feel like they haven't got enough time. Focus on the licks that use that note, slow them down and perhaps play them without the backing track for a while and try to get the same subtle bending effect that Gab does.

Notice that the note is played initially with no bending at all but then the subtle bend is applied right before the note ends. Hopefully that helps.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 28 2016, 03:07 AM
Instructor
Hi mate,

You are getting close with this one, but there are some elements that require more attention in order to polish every detail this lesson.

The first thing that I note (at 00:09, 00:12) is that your bending is not reaching the correct pitch with precision. You tend to stay a bit below t he pitch when bending but also sometimes (like at 00:22) you go too high.

The second important element that needs attention is timing. This is not something dramatic but it's a problem that appear in the whole lesson, here and there, you timing is not going tight with the backing, neither groovy, it's not consistent. You need to connect more with the groove. Do the exercise of closing your eyes and feel the groove of the backing before and while playing the lesson.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 29 2016, 03:17 PM
Instructor
Hey again! smile.gif

Tasty playing here. I had a similar impression as with your previous take from different lesson. You are very talented and do a lot of justice to the lesson but your only weak side is a pitch. It really worth to stretch the string well and retunea few times before recording. Recheck if the string does loose the pitch while you bend. If yes, then you need to stretch it while longer. As for timing I do not notice any serious issues to fix - maybe just a few little slips but overall it's quite tight. Well done

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 31 2016, 07:12 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7.7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:41 PM