What Is Your Favorite Scale?
Bear Rose
Nov 19 2010, 11:51 PM
Beginner Instructor
Hey GMC!

I'm planning on starting some new lessons on scales for beginners soon, and I was wondering.....

What is your favorite scale to hear and/or play?

I have one that I like more than all the others, and I'll share it with you, but I'm interested in hearing what everyone else's favorite scales are!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thefireball
Nov 20 2010, 01:23 AM
Learning Roadie
A Pentatonic. That's practically the only one I know! tongue.gif That's kinda sad since I've been playing for 2 years now. sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Nov 20 2010, 02:44 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I would have to say E minor, its the one I always gravitate around. I also really like the tonal quality of dominant phrygian, its very exotic smile.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Nov 20 2010, 08:33 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Please Bear, do some scale lessons for beginners!
I never really cared about scales or theory as I learned guitar by ear, which is not so bad I have to say. Right now, with the help of GMC, I know the A minor pentatonic and the E minor scale. At least roughly...most of the time when I record something for a collab here I fool around on the fretboard until I figure out which notes will sound good...
Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Nov 20 2010, 08:37 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Well, my fav is Harmonic Minor, but I think to get to that, first must come minor pentatonic and than Minor Scale so people get a grasp of the theory better smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 20 2010, 03:15 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Minor scale, if I have to choose one, Em smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 21 2010, 11:50 AM
GMC:er
Great call Mudbone! I have to agree. E-Minor is one of my very fav scales. The variations of the minor scale are also in my Fav box. After I got my first 7 string guitar, I started leaning toward B-Minor and B-Harmonic minor as the 7 string has a low B. But for the most part, E-Minor is a crucial scale to know well at every position on the neck as so much Rock/Metal is written in the key of E-Minor. These days, more and more is written in B or D or C, as Metal heads have embraced 7 and 8 strings guitars and drop tuning. But still, the bulk of existing material is still nestled warmly in E-Minor.

I'd say running a close second is the Blues Scale. It's such a versatile scale and blends well with, of course, the Minor Scale smile.gif Here is a video of my entry in a guitar competition where I used the Minor and pentatonic scales only. It's a good example of said blending. I'm using my FREGLIGHT guitar for this one. Which is why my frets have lights on them.
smile.gif

Practice!
Todd

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Nov 22 2010, 07:37 PM
Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Nov 20 2010, 04:33 AM) *
Please Bear, do some scale lessons for beginners!
I never really cared about scales or theory as I learned guitar by ear, which is not so bad I have to say. Right now, with the help of GMC, I know the A minor pentatonic and the E minor scale. At least roughly...most of the time when I record something for a collab here I fool around on the fretboard until I figure out which notes will sound good...
Christian

I will definitely be doing some beginner scale lessons in the future!

My favorite scale is the one that I use the most often: the Major scale. For me, it has always been more natural to express myself by playing in the major scale than in any other scale. I also prefer music that is in major keys most of the time, so it makes sense.

2nd favorite is the Blues scale. Its another great one to be able to express feelings through the guitar. And the added blue note to the pentatonic gives such a great flavor to the scale.

3rd favorite(s) would be minor/minor pentatonic. You can always make something sound good with the minor pentatonic, and I really like the extra notes that come with the minor scale. They add some great sound to give that true "minor" feel.

+Quote Post
Thrasymachus
Nov 22 2010, 07:57 PM
GMC:er
Hmm, I would have to say dorrian. I don't realy know why but it seems to make a lot of musical sense to me.

+Quote Post
stratman79
Nov 23 2010, 01:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
Minor 6 pentatonic ( & some of its modes)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 31 2011, 08:28 PM
Instructor
Definitely start some melodic minor, it can sound awesome! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:44 PM