Child 44
shellshock1911
Jun 14 2008, 02:39 AM
GMC:er
Ok I just finished this book and am going to have to tell it IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know if you have heard about it or not, but it was on some commercials on my TV on it sounded really good and something I am really interested in. I went to Barnes N Noble and couldn't find it, only to ask a customer service lady and have her direct me to the front where there was a decent crowd of people all surrounding a table, with the books on it. This is the first novel for the guy who wrote it, Tom Rob Smith, so it wasn't like there was any pre-buildup to create this kind of hype like the Harry Potter series for example. So I figured it just has to be really good.

Well I started reading it about 3 days ago and this is the fastest I have ever read a book simply because it is suspense packed from beginning to end. This is the only book I have ever read where I probably had such a strong resistance to flip a couple pages to see what happens, that it ended up happening like 100 times.

I have read many many books and have to say this one is AT LEAST tied with the greatest book I have ever read, and that would be tied with The Jungle, mainly because of how well I could relate to that book. The film rights have already been sold to Ridley Scott and I am going insane because I want to see a movie NOW, or at least read more novels from Tom Rob Smith, but like I said this is his FIRST ONE.

So if you haven't heard about this book, this was just to get it out because once again this book is just not even comparable with 99.9% of other books out there it is just so amazing! If you want some more information like on the general plot just ask.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Jun 14 2008, 02:40 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 14 2008, 02:18 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I was looking at this in Barnes N' Noble actually a few days ago when you mentioned it in a previous thread, Looks quite good actually and I am hoping to pick it up soon smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
timono
Jun 14 2008, 02:33 PM
I just looked up some more info about the book and I just wanna go and read it!!

thanks for recomanding it here biggrin.gif, hadn't heard of it before

thanks

timon

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550 EGK Presige, Essex wannabe Gibson guitar (don't know the full name), Alhambra acoustic guitar

Amps: Marshall MG 50DFX, Evans sound creator (50 watt), Orange crush 10

Effect pedals: Korg AX1500G

record stuff: Line 6 toneport UX1

Piano: Yamaha P-85

Wishlist:

Ibanez Jem 7V!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Jun 14 2008, 05:36 PM
I'll give you a big tip on reading it though, I didn't do this and I think it reduced the reading experience.

From page 1, take note of EVERY character in the book and make sure you can remember each one throughout the book, and the book does not have "chapters", it just has dates. Like the first "chapter" will be titled "July 25th, 1933, Chervoy, Ukraine" or something like that and then the next will be titled "June 10th, 1953, Moscow, Russia" then the next "June 12th 1953, Moscow Russia." After the first "chapter" there is a 20 year jump and after that, the rest of the book takes place in a matter of about 6 months or so in 1953, so make sure to keep track of the dates as well. And some will be titled "Same Day" reminding you that the events in the previous chapter are happening at the same time as the following events.

One of the great things about this book is how the author gives insights into the minds of the characters CONSTANTLY, more so than anything else in the book. It is primarily written in 3rd person and all quotes from characters are written with a dash, in the center the middle, and in italics.

-Like this

Yep so like I said, make sure you know all the characters because at first, you will be skeptic about where the author is going with all this subplots, substories, and seemingly stock characters, but in the end, he wraps them ALL TOGETHER. The main plot that the story is about according to the description doesn't actually begin until about halfway through the book, so be patient because the first half is pretty much just showing life in Stalinist Russia and setting the stage for Part 2.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 14 2008, 05:46 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Thanks for sharing Shellshock! Now you've made me want to read it too! I'll get it for sure wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 14 2008, 10:01 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I should be able to keep track track of the characters pretty easily, After reading The Eyes Of God trilogy, which has about 20 main characters, and The Wheel Of Time, which has like 3,000 characters (No joke! laugh.gif), Its become like an innate ability, Thanks to sir Robert Jordan.

+Quote Post
timono
Aug 9 2008, 10:40 PM
i'm almost trough the book and i must say i love this book!!! it is and was so awesome, surprising and a total recommendation to all of you:)

so thanks for telling me about this book biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550 EGK Presige, Essex wannabe Gibson guitar (don't know the full name), Alhambra acoustic guitar

Amps: Marshall MG 50DFX, Evans sound creator (50 watt), Orange crush 10

Effect pedals: Korg AX1500G

record stuff: Line 6 toneport UX1

Piano: Yamaha P-85

Wishlist:

Ibanez Jem 7V!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:25 PM