Itsme Plays Guthrie, Larry Carlton Jam
ItsMe
Oct 28 2008, 04:01 AM
GMC:er
Ok not really. I work on it, but its not something I would upload. Anyway while practicing I used the backing to jam and here is one of this recordings. I just noticed that my improvisational skills don't really evolve. So Instructors and fellow GMCers please listen to it and tell me what to do. I know I have to work on my technique and timing and so on, but how do I get more creative ????

Thanks for your help.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ItsMe: Oct 28 2008, 04:13 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  ItsME_is_no_Guthrie.mp3 ( 1.27MB ) Number of downloads: 302

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Pedja Simovic
Oct 28 2008, 06:36 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ItsMe @ Oct 28 2008, 05:01 AM) *
Ok not really. I work on it, but its not something I would upload. Anyway while practicing I used the backing to jam and here is one of this recordings. I just noticed that my improvisational skills don't really evolve. So Instructors and fellow GMCers please listen to it and tell me what to do. I know I have to work on my technique and timing and so on, but how do I get more creative ????

Thanks for your help.

ItsMe I just checked it out. There is some interesting ideas in there. I love that you actually repeat your ideas and develop them. Keep that happening and you are on the right track.
As far as scales arpeggios and note choices go, you pretty much nailed it and have under control. Watch out A over Abmaj7 - treat it with special care as passing note.
I think you need to work on your phrasing and rhythm, especially when you are doing faster passages - you tend to speed them up a bit. Good news is this takes very little time to do - just put your metronome/backing track on and force yourself to play fast passage IN TIME then rest for couple of bars then do it again etc. Once you feel good about your skill start grouping fast playing into longer passages etc. This should help for sure.

Let me give you another idea when improvising.

Have you tought of play rest approach ? How about slow vs fast ? Sparse vs dense rhythm ? Motive vs trough composed playing (lines) ?

Ask if you have any questions.
I would love to hear more your solos and help you out.

Thanks

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Oct 28 2008, 12:59 PM
Hi Pedja,

thanks for the help. Yes I know that I'm always either slower or faster when I do 16th. I really have to grab my metronome more often. I guess I really have to think more about general structure in an impro. Here I just played a little bit and then hit the record botton and worked on auto pilot. So this are the limited ideas that reflect the developmental stage I'm at right now. I will work more on your lesson and also try to force myself to utilize concepts in an impro.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 28 2008, 01:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ItsMe @ Oct 28 2008, 01:59 PM) *
Hi Pedja,

thanks for the help. Yes I know that I'm always either slower or faster when I do 16th. I really have to grab my metronome more often. I guess I really have to think more about general structure in an impro. Here I just played a little bit and then hit the record botton and worked on auto pilot. So this are the limited ideas that reflect the developmental stage I'm at right now. I will work more on your lesson and also try to force myself to utilize concepts in an impro.

Hello again,

I wouldn't use word force but rather restrict.

Here are some useful advanced techniques you can learn from

1) Solo on a single string
2) Solo using one octave only
3) Solo in a single position
4) Solo starting on downbeat only
5) Solo starting on upbeat only
6) Solo using octaves
7) Solo using 6ths (or any other interval)
8) Solo using chord voicings (chord solo - piano style)
9) Solo using pentatonics
10) Solo using chord tones only
11) Solo using tensions only
etc
The list is endless as you can see. You can kind of guess that I went through all of these and can demonstrate them quite well. I try to incorporate these restrictions in my lessons so everybody learns new and fresh approach to improvising, composition or ear training.

My suggestion is this : Sit down listen to your recording and ask yourself what YOU don't like about it ? Is there too much repetition or too little? Should my lines be longer or shorter? Should I use lower register when soloing as well? Am I thinking enough of my melodic shapes ? Am I using sequence , q&a phrasing ? Am I always ending on the same note ?
Is my rhythm good or I need to work on more rhythmic ideas phrases? Is my melodic vocabulary good or I need to create and/or transcribe more music?

The list is endless as well but this is definitely the most important part - analyzing your playing. Once you find what you don't like and need to work on, then its just a matter of applying restrictions in soloing to bring that technique up!

Hope this was helpful smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Oct 28 2008, 01:31 PM
again great advice. Thanks allot

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Oct 28 2008, 02:16 PM
Instructor
Man, I just heard the track, and I enjoyed it very much, I like how you start the solo and start building up, melodic ideas are very tasty.

As far as timing, I hear a few things here and there, but this is normal when improvising, I hear Guthrie sometimes put more notes that he should on a certain lick, the trick is knowing hot to resolve. I sometimes hear Guthrie play some crazy shred that is not in perfect time, but he ends the lick on the perfect note at the right time, and that makes it sound professional.

Good Job

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 28 2008, 02:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ItsMe @ Oct 28 2008, 02:31 PM) *
again great advice. Thanks allot

You welcome man.
Try out one of the techniques mentioned and record it. I would love to hear how you are doing with this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Oct 28 2008, 09:40 PM

Man, I just heard the track, and I enjoyed it very much, I like how you start the solo and start building up, melodic ideas are very tasty.

As far as timing, I hear a few things here and there, but this is normal when improvising, I hear Guthrie sometimes put more notes that he should on a certain lick, the trick is knowing hot to resolve. I sometimes hear Guthrie play some crazy shred that is not in perfect time, but he ends the lick on the perfect note at the right time, and that makes it sound professional.

Good Job

Thanks man,
yes thats what I want to learn besides note choice and structure: 1. learn some shred 2. know how to use it and resolve the right way. But since I don't have a lot of time my technical skills are still on a beginner level. Pretty frustrating

This post has been edited by ItsMe: Oct 28 2008, 09:42 PM

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Oct 28 2008, 10:18 PM
Instructor
nice track in there "Its Me" welldone !

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Oct 29 2008, 12:09 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Sounded good to me man.

I really like the tone and your lick ideas.

Do another take applying the great advise you've already received.

I can't wiat to hear it.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Oct 29 2008, 02:56 PM
Instructor
Very nice solo!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 29 2008, 03:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ItsMe @ Oct 28 2008, 09:40 PM) *
But since I don't have a lot of time my technical skills are still on a beginner level. Pretty frustrating

That was faaar away from beginner if you ask me,
you have pretty good sense for phrasing.
just work a bit more on "pro" aspect of playing,
lay down the right note on the right momen,
dive more into progression and follow each chord,
you're doing very good,keep going!!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Oct 29 2008, 03:21 PM
Instructor
I think your solo it's very good. The only advice I could add is that you have to RELAX. The recording sounds a lot like you are tense and that's why some of the phrases are like compressed in time, like if you are in a hurry to play all the notes. To solve that problem you can record the same solo but learn it note for note, if you can trascribe it and then record it again but being shure about the notes you are playing so in that way you can nail those phrases.
Also I think in that way you can analize the phrases and discover why you chose those notes and build yourself your own personal licks.

I hope it was helpful.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Oct 29 2008, 03:24 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Oct 29 2008, 03:02 PM) *
That was faaar away from beginner if you ask me,
you have pretty good sense for phrasing.
just work a bit more on "pro" aspect of playing,
lay down the right note on the right momen,
dive more into progression and follow each chord,
you're doing very good,keep going!!! smile.gif

I'll tried to focus more on these aspects and work on chord tones, arps and so on. But as I said my time is very limted and I don't really progress. I just got back into guitar mid last year after years of absence and I'm still far away from where I was years ago. That makes it quite frustrating at times. Anyway thank you all for your reasuring words.
I'll keep on working with the limited time I have

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Oct 29 2008, 04:08 PM
Sounds really good to me, I'd love that backing track. Where did you find it?

+Quote Post
ItsMe
Oct 29 2008, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Oct 29 2008, 04:08 PM) *
Sounds really good to me, I'd love that backing track. Where did you find it?

I made it. But I followed the progression and the bass and drum patterns of the original backing from bluesjamtracks.
Guthrie jams over that one on youtube

Please find mine attached.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  larrys_blues_.mp3 ( 1.24MB ) Number of downloads: 144

+Quote Post
Siggum
Oct 29 2008, 04:53 PM
Sounds great ItsMe, nice job on the Backing as well smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Bondy
Oct 29 2008, 07:06 PM
Learning Roadie
Top notch I really loved it well done

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Jesse
Oct 29 2008, 07:40 PM
Very nice... definately not beginner!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Oct 30 2008, 02:26 AM
Instructor
I agree very much with alot of people, definately far above beginner. I know exactly where you are coming from too, i am still in the same boat as you. After a long hiatus from guitar because of mitigating circumstances, i picked it up again just under 5 years ago after a 7 year stoppage. Not completely stopped mind you but not like i had been by any measure, and there are still things i am still "relearning" it takes time and patience. So i definately feel your struggle.

You are definately on the right track though, don't let it discourge you and just keep taking advice and working out the details and one day you will wake up and start playing stuff that you never dreamed of.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:55 AM