Too Critical Of My Compositions?, I keep scrapping them...
thefireball
Jan 28 2012, 01:09 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey GMC.

I come to you for some help. I'm discouraged. I am constantly coming up with riffs in which start forming a song. The transitions seem kind of weird, but perhaps that's because I'm new to the progressive metal style. This is what I am going for. The verse, pre-chorus, and chorus all sound different from each other, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, at the time I am writing these compositions I really enjoy the results. I come back to the composition the next day and find some flaws with it. The song just does not seem to flow well, or I'm not happy with how the riffs sound. Each day it gets worse, until I finally say, "This song stinks and it's lame." The song no longer has the chemistry I once thought it had; meaning it doesn't seem to flow correctly.

Am I all too critical of my work? Or am I just realizing the flaws in my work? I'm really discouraged. I have around 10 unfinished "songs" and at the beginning of each song I say to myself, I won't scrap this one - it's just too good! I wish I knew if it's just me. There's sure to be somebody who would enjoy my songs, as there would be people who would not - just like all the pros face.

When I Skyped with Cosmin (as my recent contest prize) he told me not to force anything. It should come natural. Well, these songs are coming natural - it's just I shoot it down afterwards.

What going on with me, guys? I'm beginning to not enjoy composing because of how it results.

Brandon

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 28 2012, 01:22 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
One thing that works for most cases is don't do it everyday. Record what you have and check back in a week or longer, longer the better. If you still like that, then your audience will like it too. If not, drop the project, perhaps instead of a song just do a lesson about the riff. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jan 28 2012, 01:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Mate, believe me I've totally been there. There were countless times when I feel that my song/solo/riff/melody is doing pretty good and the next day I hate it. Sometimes the composition is not original enough, sometimes it doesn't "flow" nicely, it doesn't have a "soul", it isn't catchy etc. Sometimes it's just me not appreciating my own work.

So I won't write you down an essay on this, but get to the point instead. smile.gif Share your work! Technique is objective but music itself is very subjective matter, and everyone has an unique opinion. Ten pairs of ears can hear more than just one. It doesn't have to be finished work and it doesn't have to be a YouTube share. Just play it to people whose opinion matters to you. It will help you find out flaws you weren't aware of before, but it will also help you appreciate your own stuff more, when you see someone else complimenting it. As long as you get constructive criticism, you can't fail, only improve. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Jan 28 2012, 01:28 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 28 2012, 01:35 AM
Learning Rock Star
I feel your pain ~ what I try to do is if I have a main idea written and I need to build a song around it, I'll put my guitar down, listen to what I have, then go out for some coffee and dream the rest of the song round what I have without some physical object limiting me (the guitar).

Ever compose an entire song in your head while sleeping, then wake up and it's gone? or you wake up in the A.M. with an idea in your head. Then you start to write it down, and you lose it or concentrate so much on the catchy part that you lose sight of the rest of the song? Gotta get that dream back so you can write down the structure without the details - worry about the details after you have the structure down - namely the main chord progression structure and rhythm. If any words / sounds stand out as catchy - write them down, but don't expand on them or you'll lose the rest of it! Well, that's what I try to do anyways.

Post your idea too - perhaps someone has some idea that will help bridge the gap!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 28 2012, 01:43 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the replies, guys. Keep them coming, community. smile.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 28 2012, 01:53 AM
GMC:er
i agreed with maharzan here.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Bluestreak
Jan 28 2012, 03:41 AM
Unless it's just that bad, I've always tried to use them over time. Even if it's a song I don't feel very good about, I'll record a few parts so I don't forget, then come back to it another time. My console has an 80G hard disk... plenty of room to leave them lying around for a later day. I have to agree... time tells you the best. If it's something that really sounds good, you'll like to hear it, like to play it, enjoy developing it... and it's my experience that people tend to share that sentiment.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 28 2012, 10:19 AM
Learning Roadie
I agree with a lot of what's been said. Don't scrap let the music flow out. If you come back to it and don't like it, that's when the hard work begins and you start analysing what you don't like and rework it. Same with lyrics, have your initial burst of inspiration and don't think to much just get it down, then come back to it and start to structure it and rewrite and rewrite

Also you may 'scrap' a chorus as it doesn't fit but keep it around and you're sure to use it on another piece

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jan 28 2012, 10:20 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 28 2012, 10:36 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Totally agree to what Chandra said. Give it a week, then revisit the song, make a few adjustements.
And seriously, just post a finished song here on the forum or on your YT channel to get some feedback. I often think after recording a take for a collab or an original song "wow, my laying really sucks in this!" and I am amazed to get lots of positive feedback here.
And you know as good as I do, when something needs improvement the guys here would tell you.

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
zoom
Jan 28 2012, 11:11 AM
Learning Roadie
Thought. When you start playing guitar it takes time to get some flow. Same for song writing. If you dont practice you won't get better.
Push through and don't get distracted.
Gab wrote some of his thoughts in the comment section of his latest lesson which where really good.
Gee the way you've picked up guitar I'm sure your gonna kick some butt with songs to.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 28 2012, 11:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 28 2012, 01:09 AM) *
perhaps that's because I'm new to the progressive metal style. This is what I am going for. The verse, pre-chorus, and chorus all sound different from each other, if you know what I mean.

I think you know the answer to your questions, you can find it up there! smile.gif If you are still fresh to the style, learn from other bands that are great in the style, it will get you to new directions. As for the arrangements - make them more similar, simplified, using clean/layering, different drum patterns, but let it be similar.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Frederik
Jan 28 2012, 11:51 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
just finnish the song

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 28 2012, 06:56 PM
Instructor
This is very normal and I think that Cosmin and Ivan's suggestions are so right. At first, you have to enjoy composing music, and you have to let it be natural. Creativity and composition is something that needs to be trained so don't feel that creating a song and then don't using it is a waste of time... it's a process to became the composer that you wish to be. As Ivan said, if you are new to the style, learning and analysing the songs of the bands that you like is the way to go... check how the connect every section, the tonalities, the rhythms, the song's structures, etc. Regarding your songs.. it would be great if you could post an example here of what you feel is happening to let us give you some feedback.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 28 2012, 10:02 PM
Instructor
I totally relate to what you are saying...it can be frustrating,

It's the whole paradox of working hard yet letting go...

I try to be as OBJECTIVE as possible with my own compositions...I try to imagine someone else hearing them for the first, play them after something you love (match the volumes so that you can get a similar idea)...when I do this my ideas "last longer" meaning, for the next two weeks or something I STILL LIKE THEM...but that only comes after being devastatingly objective and painfully cold towards the notes you are laying down...

You know what happens to me? When I'm stuck I usually last an hour or so, noodling, trying ideas, throwing them away, until I hit a spot! and boom, something is there...it's almost always like this!

so the trick for me is (but this is personal) know that it will come even though you're sucking right now, but stick to it, play around with ideas, be a spontaneous hippie, or be an overly calculated mathematician...but stick to it...even spite of the slide headache of fighting with "un-inspiration" ...

Lately it's worked for me...

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 28 2012, 10:24 PM
The best way to get better at anything, including composition, is to do wads and wads of it. The more you do, the better you'll get smile.gif Also, try to let other folks give it a listen before ripping it apart. Often feedback can take you in directions you hadn't considered. You can't listen to everything everyone says, but if your composition has a bit that doesn't sit well with most folks who hear it, try another bit. That sort of thing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jan 29 2012, 12:30 AM
Instructor
Surely you've heard of actors who have not seen any of their film, same thing is happening with other branches of art also... Perfectionism know to obscure the real thinking. When that happens to me, periodically, I have a real listeners who will tell me objective situation, so after that I became more calm and relaxed, that's my recipe laugh.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 29 2012, 04:34 AM
Learning Roadie
Okay. Thanks again guys. I'll post some of my work here to let you have a listen sometime.

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jan 29 2012, 08:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Jan 28 2012, 12:09 AM) *
Hey GMC.

I come to you for some help. I'm discouraged. I am constantly coming up with riffs in which start forming a song. The transitions seem kind of weird, but perhaps that's because I'm new to the progressive metal style. This is what I am going for. The verse, pre-chorus, and chorus all sound different from each other, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, at the time I am writing these compositions I really enjoy the results. I come back to the composition the next day and find some flaws with it. The song just does not seem to flow well, or I'm not happy with how the riffs sound. Each day it gets worse, until I finally say, "This song stinks and it's lame." The song no longer has the chemistry I once thought it had; meaning it doesn't seem to flow correctly.

Am I all too critical of my work? Or am I just realizing the flaws in my work? I'm really discouraged. I have around 10 unfinished "songs" and at the beginning of each song I say to myself, I won't scrap this one - it's just too good! I wish I knew if it's just me. There's sure to be somebody who would enjoy my songs, as there would be people who would not - just like all the pros face.

When I Skyped with Cosmin (as my recent contest prize) he told me not to force anything. It should come natural. Well, these songs are coming natural - it's just I shoot it down afterwards.

What going on with me, guys? I'm beginning to not enjoy composing because of how it results.

Brandon

It happens! You are just trying to get the best results from your music! I have been in your shoes and I have been dealing with the same problem! What helped me a lot I started to ask other peoples opinion and if I was not sure about something always got an advice! It worked! Also you can try to collaborate with somebody it will help you to get more ideas!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 29 2012, 02:53 PM
Instructor
Brandon, I have stuff I've written 6-7 years ago and I still haven't managed to do anything with smile.gif I'm ok with that. Time solves everything - you evolve, as a human being, musician - you learn more and more each day and your subconscious self gives you the answers without you even knowing it smile.gif one day you'll discover that an old idea is just perfect for blending with a new one -> a new musical little creature, shining differently most likely, but possibly even brighter smile.gif

Beautiful music comes from strong feelings, I say LIVE! The more the better smile.gif you'll be amazed of the flow you'll have after your feelings want to burst out.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:39 AM