2 Pages V   1 2 >  
World Of Warcraft, Anyone here not worse off having played this?
jer
Dec 30 2008, 10:42 PM
GMC:er
Hi!

I've played WoW. I'll probably play again. In fact I'm sure I will.

It's fun.

I've reconnected with some old gaming buddies from the past through this game.

Good times.

It's tough doing much in the gaming world when you've grown up and your buddies have scattered to the corners of the earth. Online stuff bridges those gaps.

The next time I decide to play will be the 4th time I've started. I'm a casual gamer. I'll play maybe 1 to 3 times per week. For 30-90min at a time. Usually before bed. Or first thing in the morning. My daughter is still sleeping. Work for the day is done. Not enough energy left for guitar. Not tired enough to sleep... Need something mindless like TV...

Am I alone here? I didnt see anything on the box about having to leave my family or wave goodbye to all my friends...

If I play once a week for 90min thats 6 hours a month. At $14.95/mo Thats cheap entertainment. Heck, it costs more than that to see a movie every other weekend... BY MYSELF.

But I wont keep paying if I am not playing. So once a few weeks have gone by and I'm just not in the mood I cancel. I can always re-activate later and pick up where I left off. No big deal. The last time I cancelled was at the end of September. 3 months off. Ya know, some WoW sounds like it'd be fun this weekend.

Of course I have other things to do too. Family. Friends. Guitar and other hobbies. So, if I do choose to play, about 6hrs a month is all I have time for....

Thoughts? Anyone else out there able to enjoy this game (or others like it) without regretting what they've "become"?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 30 2008, 11:55 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Wow was fun for me from level1-60 (that was the top when I played), but at high levels running 4 hour long instances with 39 more people wasn't my cup of tea... too much time eaten, and it became boring.

So I raised 3 chars to level 60... then quit. Happy I did too, as I said many times, it was too addictive for me, lucky that I didn't like the high levels way of life though, or else I still would be hooked laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Fran: Dec 30 2008, 11:55 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 31 2008, 12:01 AM
I love this game without regretting what I've become. I used to play pretty hardcore a few years back, took pvp rank 13 back when it was still competition when it came to the PvP, I raided 5 days/week back in vanilla aswell, it was before naxx but I've done the other raid instances from vanilla, and farmed them. It's a great game, if you want to be best, then you have to dedicate a lot of time, but it's the same with everything else. Getting rank 13 made me basically stop caring about school, sleeping and eating for about one and a half month, but it was my choice and I still look back to those times as great fun.

I started playing for a bit before WotLK came out, then I got to 80 quite fast and did some 10 man raids, but I got tired of it. Nothing dramatic, didn't take all of my life away from me, I still practice guitar, (even more actually) and well.. It's just a game.

Having said that, I probably won't start again, I'm tired of raiding for over 6 hours, and there is absolutely no way I can play this game without becoming the best. That's probably what seems like an addiction for many, but I'd just like to call it dedication. When I'm playing I play A LOT, but as soon as I don't feel like it I can put the game down and uninstall it.

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: Jan 1 2009, 02:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Siggum
Dec 31 2008, 12:27 AM
I agree here, the problem with wow is that to be the "best" or do good, you need to bascially invest your life into the game, you can be the best player in the world, but if your gear isnt good you gonna lose the worst player with good gear. So i think if you can play casually its fine, its a fun game obviusly played by millions around the world, danger is to know when to stop smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 31 2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah, for me I dont care about being the best.

It's just fun to play casually for me. Someday I'll get to the high levels. Or maybe I wont. Honestly since everything scales to be a challenge at whatever level you are at its not really any different to me. Lvl 10 or 70. What's the difference? The names of the monsters? The scenery?

Still the same game. Just lots of content!!!!!

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Dec 31 2008, 01:14 AM
QUOTE (jer @ Dec 31 2008, 12:39 AM) *
Yeah, for me I dont care about being the best.

It's just fun to play casually for me. Someday I'll get to the high levels. Or maybe I wont. Honestly since everything scales to be a challenge at whatever level you are at its not really any different to me. Lvl 10 or 70. What's the difference? The names of the monsters? The scenery?

Still the same game. Just lots of content!!!!!

Well, there are actual tactics when killing raid bosses etc, and not just boring tank and spank. Also yes the scenery is a bit cooler.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 31 2008, 01:22 AM
I haven't done much grouping. A few quick sessions. Just lower level dungeons though.

I can see how the bigger scale stuff would take on an entirely new dimension. In the hours I've played I just like exploring. Learning the story. Etc.

These 6 hour raids I'm hearing about don't sound fun at all.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
Canis
Dec 31 2008, 01:23 AM
Learning Rock Star
If you look away from the fact that I was a lazy SOB while playing WoW, nothing bad came from it. I met some people on the server I played on that didn't live that far away from me, whom I've become good friends with in real life.

I also got a certain degree of leadership skill from the few weeks I was a raid leader for Molten Core and Karazhan.. Have you ever tried getting 39 / 24 other people on the internet to follow your lead, or even get them to listen to you at all on Ventrilo? Nightmare tongue.gif

I'm pretty sure I'll start playing it at some point, but for now I've made my priorities: School and Guitar =)

This post has been edited by Canis: Dec 31 2008, 01:24 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 31 2008, 01:30 AM
Games and the communities surrounding them are great ways to meet people.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 Floor Board
Nady UHF Wireless

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Dec 31 2008, 01:37 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Yeah its a pretty fun game takes a while though.....

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Dec 31 2008, 09:32 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Used to play WoW alot.. Back in the original release my guild was in the top 40 of the world, so we spend many hours raiding each week + time needed to prepare for the raids.

I used to really enjoy it, but by the time the Burning Crusade was going to get released it kinda lost its touch for me.

Well some months after the release of the first expansion I started playing again because most of my friends spend all their time on the game. Played alot for 4-6 months or so gaining arena titles etc., but the game just wasn't as attractive as back in the days.

Now I haven't touched it since the beginning of last summer and the fact that I'm going to med school and don't have the time anymore makes me sure I'll never play it again (even though I sometimes miss the fun and the online friends I've gotten over the years)..

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 31 2008, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I have tried to play WoW three times but i got tired of it after less then a month and quit

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 31 2008, 10:50 AM
Instructor
I have never played WoW but loved playing Warcraft Frozen Throne. We played on LAN as well as Online. Some of my friends were champions of Serbia and Macedonia so it was lots of fun for sure.
I have heard mythological stories for WoW and some crazy experiences , thats why I don't want to get into it biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
Dec 31 2008, 03:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 31 2008, 10:50 AM) *
I have never played WoW but loved playing Warcraft Frozen Throne. We played on LAN as well as Online. Some of my friends were champions of Serbia and Macedonia so it was lots of fun for sure.
I have heard mythological stories for WoW and some crazy experiences , thats why I don't want to get into it biggrin.gif

The worlds a crazy place for sure! Just remembered this link from back in the days:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/art-of-war...mounts-love.php

Tell me what you think tongue.gif

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Rooks
Dec 31 2008, 03:06 PM
I found out I wasn't investing anything in myself playing that game .. It's only giving money to Blizzard Entertainment..

Now I'm only playing guitar I feel like that contributes a lot more to skills I can actually use and have more fun with

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 31 2008, 03:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ Dec 31 2008, 03:02 PM) *
The worlds a crazy place for sure! Just remembered this link from back in the days:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/art-of-war...mounts-love.php

Tell me what you think tongue.gif

Haha thats hands down brutal and really funny !
I will email all my friends this link if you don't mind hahaha thank you biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Dec 31 2008, 04:30 PM
i tried the free week trail thing

got to lvl 5

and quit smile.gif

too slow of a game for me....give me some HALO

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Dec 31 2008, 05:50 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I`ve played on and off for a few years, I have actually just bought the latest expansion, but to be honest, I only play once a week maybe for a couple of hours, a friend of mine also plays casually so we always go around as a pair, just some light relief now n then smile.gif

the 6 hour raid thing doesnt float my boat either, its just a game smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
ChrisVdS
Jan 1 2009, 12:15 PM
I played wow for i think almost 3 years but christmas 2007 i decided to quit the game because it was just boring after explored most of the expansion pack and doing nothing but battlegrounds and arena's.
But i met alot of nice people and we had real life guild meetings in london a few times and one here in Antwerpen and it was allot of fun.

This post has been edited by ChrisVdS: Jan 1 2009, 12:16 PM

--------------------
Gear:

Fender "California series" stratocaster
Roland Cube 20X
Peavey Envoy 110

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 1 2009, 12:21 PM
I have never played the game as I reckon I would love it and play it lots. I have just bought a PS3 though so I'm on that all the time anyway on Fallout 3 lol biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:42 PM