> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Stinger's Smart Soloing
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 3 2012, 08:24 AM
Instructor
Hey Marcus! Welcome to your thread biggrin.gif

I would be curious to see you play something, so do you have any recording of any sort? Anyway, I have a whole series of video chat sessions on modes, which we did from January to May and we have a lot of ground to cover in those materials wink.gif

What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stinger
Aug 3 2012, 12:28 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 3 2012, 09:24 AM) *
Hey Marcus! Welcome to your thread biggrin.gif

I would be curious to see you play something, so do you have any recording of any sort? Anyway, I have a whole series of video chat sessions on modes, which we did from January to May and we have a lot of ground to cover in those materials wink.gif

What sort of theoretical knowledge do you have so far?

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,

I have basic knowledge of building up chords (I used to learn playing Keyboard many years ago), therefore I can read sheet music, but understanding some principles is quite difficult for me since I was never able to use them for improvisation. My main problem is to set chords in relation with scales and to know which scale fits to any chord.

I started to learn a few solos by Kirk Hammett (e.g. Nothing else matters), which are mainly based on the A minor blues scale (I think). My aim is to be able to play along with rhythm guitar in a "free" but still well-sounding way. I would very much like to be capable of writing solos on my own, and not just playing them after sheet music...

I'll try to participate in the video chat lessons as far as my work doesn't prevent me from doing that smile.gif
Sadly, I can't participate in Gab's lessons since I don't have time on fridays. Do you always play your guitar tuned down?

I can make some videos of me playing a song, but I don't have anything built up by my own, if it's that what you wanted to see. I'd have to figure that out wink.gif

So far, looking forward to your advice,
Marcus

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Just because you know umpteen billion scales, it doesn't mean you have to use them all in a solo." - Kirk Hammett

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
Marshall VS 232 R 2x30W Combo
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 4 2012, 04:54 PM
Instructor
Hey there! Just wanted to see you play, no matter what it is that you play wink.gif Don't worry, just send me whatever you have so I can hear how you sound.

Regarding improvisation - because this is what you are after smile.gif we can surely talk about this and I will help you out!

1) We will revise theory and go through the modes, with examples used in my lesson notes

2) We will tackle interesting lessons, based on phrasing, available here on GMC, and discuss their theoretical base as well smile.gif

How does this sound to you?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Stinger
Aug 6 2012, 07:12 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 4 2012, 05:54 PM) *
Hey there! Just wanted to see you play, no matter what it is that you play wink.gif Don't worry, just send me whatever you have so I can hear how you sound.

Regarding improvisation - because this is what you are after smile.gif we can surely talk about this and I will help you out!

1) We will revise theory and go through the modes, with examples used in my lesson notes

2) We will tackle interesting lessons, based on phrasing, available here on GMC, and discuss their theoretical base as well smile.gif

How does this sound to you?

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,

That sounds great and I'm looking forward to it. However, I won't be able to do anything this week since I am on a business trip from today until Friday. I'll update the thread as soon as I am back.

--------------------
"Just because you know umpteen billion scales, it doesn't mean you have to use them all in a solo." - Kirk Hammett

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 6 2012, 09:50 AM
Instructor
Hey there and a good morning to you!

No problem mate, I will be here and waiting wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Stinger
Aug 13 2012, 05:43 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 6 2012, 10:50 AM) *
Hey there and a good morning to you!

No problem mate, I will be here and waiting wink.gif

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,

sorry for being late, but the trip became longer than I expected -.-
Here is a work in progress of Sinisa Cekic's "Acoustic Arpeggios" lesson. I'll also post something "electrified" soon, but I'm trying to improve both, my acoustic as well as my e-guitar skills, so I thought I mix it a little bit smile.gif

Attached File  acou_arpeggios.mp4 ( 7.84MB ) Number of downloads: 127

Oh, and here is a video of an alternate picking exercise I'm currently working on:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&id=28270

This post has been edited by Stinger: Aug 13 2012, 05:44 PM

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 14 2012, 09:05 AM
Instructor
Howdy mate!

You have a very correct and clean approach to both exercises! My congratulations biggrin.gif

What I have observed, so you can improve even more:

- in the acoustic take there are several positions which you tend to play a little less clean than others - this is due to the fact that shifting those positions is not entirely natural to you, so take a little time to get them up to the same level as the others wink.gif
- in the electric take, you are moving your right hand a bit too much - try to reduce the movement so that you may gain speed and relaxation - the lesser you move the faster you will play wink.gif

So, tell me mate, what do you know about modes so far? smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Stinger
Aug 14 2012, 04:18 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 14 2012, 10:05 AM) *
Howdy mate!

You have a very correct and clean approach to both exercises! My congratulations biggrin.gif

What I have observed, so you can improve even more:

- in the acoustic take there are several positions which you tend to play a little less clean than others - this is due to the fact that shifting those positions is not entirely natural to you, so take a little time to get them up to the same level as the others wink.gif
- in the electric take, you are moving your right hand a bit too much - try to reduce the movement so that you may gain speed and relaxation - the lesser you move the faster you will play wink.gif

So, tell me mate, what do you know about modes so far? smile.gif

Cosmin

Thanks for the comments, I'll have an eye on my technique.

Regarding modes, well, I know what they are and in which way they can affect a song and the feeling of a song, but I have no further knowledge about them - I don't know where to start learning about them smile.gif
In relation to "hearing" modes: I can distinguish a major from a minor chord in most cases, but that's it I'm afraid.

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 15 2012, 09:05 AM
Instructor
Good morning man smile.gif

To start off in a good way with the modes, here's what I'm suggesting:

We will take each mode and learn about it - structure/ characteristic scale degree/ harmony-melody relationships/ practical aspects smile.gif

Do you know how modes are divided? Which are major and which are minor and why?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Stinger
Aug 15 2012, 02:13 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 15 2012, 10:05 AM) *
Good morning man smile.gif

To start off in a good way with the modes, here's what I'm suggesting:

We will take each mode and learn about it - structure/ characteristic scale degree/ harmony-melody relationships/ practical aspects smile.gif

Do you know how modes are divided? Which are major and which are minor and why?

Cosmin

Hi smile.gif

That sounds great!

No, I don't know that. I only know that a minor chord has a minor third unlike a major one...

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 16 2012, 11:40 AM
Instructor
Well, the modes can be classified like this:

Major (the contain a major 3rd) - Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian

Minor (the contain a minor third) - Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian, Locrian

If we look at the major scale - the Ionian mode, as it is also called, we will notice the following structure:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 -> these are the scale degrees of the Ionian/ Natural major scale

From this point we tweak this formula to obtain the other modes biggrin.gif

Lydian -> 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian -> 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Dorian -> 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrigyan -> 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Aeolian -> 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian -> 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

By 'b' (flat) we understand that we raise that degree to which the 'b' is attached and by '#' we understand that we raise that degree to which the '#' is attached.

What do you think? All clear so far? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Aug 16 2012, 11:41 AM

+Quote Post
Stinger
Aug 16 2012, 03:05 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 16 2012, 12:40 PM) *
Well, the modes can be classified like this:

Major (the contain a major 3rd) - Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian

Minor (the contain a minor third) - Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian, Locrian

If we look at the major scale - the Ionian mode, as it is also called, we will notice the following structure:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 -> these are the scale degrees of the Ionian/ Natural major scale

From this point we tweak this formula to obtain the other modes biggrin.gif

Lydian -> 1 2 3 #4 5 6 7
Mixolydian -> 1 2 3 4 5 6 b7
Dorian -> 1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
Phrigyan -> 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Aeolian -> 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
Locrian -> 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7

By 'b' (flat) we understand that we raise that degree to which the 'b' is attached and by '#' we understand that we raise that degree to which the '#' is attached.

What do you think? All clear so far? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

Ok, so the b's are half a step down and the # up? meaning that b3 is an e flat?

This post has been edited by Stinger: Aug 16 2012, 03:06 PM

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 16 2012, 03:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stinger @ Aug 16 2012, 02:05 PM) *
Ok, so the b's are half a step down and the # up? meaning that b3 is an e flat?

Spot on!

+Quote Post
Stinger
Aug 16 2012, 09:00 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 16 2012, 04:33 PM) *
Spot on!

In that case, it is all clear smile.gif

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 17 2012, 08:13 AM
Instructor
Awesome! Now, let's take the Ionian mode - which is the first one. Please take a look in the thread below and tell me if you understood the theoretical aspects written in there smile.gif After that, we will discuss on the example biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=564197

Let me know if there's anything unclear smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Stinger
Aug 21 2012, 02:31 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 17 2012, 09:13 AM) *
Awesome! Now, let's take the Ionian mode - which is the first one. Please take a look in the thread below and tell me if you understood the theoretical aspects written in there smile.gif After that, we will discuss on the example biggrin.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=564197

Let me know if there's anything unclear smile.gif

Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,

what do you mean by the following:

Typical progressions: I IV V; IImi V I; I VIm IV V; I IIIm IV I; I IV I; I V I;

?

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 22 2012, 12:02 PM
Instructor
Hey mate, these are modal progressions - it means they are chord progressions based on the chords obtained by harmonizing that certain mode and over which, the mode qualities can be emphasized in a nice manner smile.gif

There are other options as well - the modes can be used in a key centered approach - this means that you just solo using the notes in that mode over the whole progression, emphasizing on the characteristic scale degree(s) once in a while to showcase the mode OR you can play a different mode over each chord biggrin.gif that if, each chord lasts for a sufficient number of bars, for you to make a musical statement smile.gif

Hope I made sense smile.gif

Cosmin

PS: How's it going otherwise, did you manage to take a look over the exercises?

+Quote Post
Stinger
Aug 22 2012, 01:48 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 22 2012, 01:02 PM) *
Hey mate, these are modal progressions - it means they are chord progressions based on the chords obtained by harmonizing that certain mode and over which, the mode qualities can be emphasized in a nice manner smile.gif

There are other options as well - the modes can be used in a key centered approach - this means that you just solo using the notes in that mode over the whole progression, emphasizing on the characteristic scale degree(s) once in a while to showcase the mode OR you can play a different mode over each chord biggrin.gif that if, each chord lasts for a sufficient number of bars, for you to make a musical statement smile.gif

Hope I made sense smile.gif

Cosmin

PS: How's it going otherwise, did you manage to take a look over the exercises?

Hi Cosmin,

unfortunately I have a virus which causes serious pain in my stomach, so I was not able to pratice anything since last Friday... I am still not fit, but I started to read through the thread to learn at least the theoretical aspects.
I am however a bit confused by the relation between the modal progressions and the modes. Are the numbers like "IImi" direclty related to the numbers of the modes or am I missing something?

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 25 2012, 12:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Stinger @ Aug 22 2012, 12:48 PM) *
Hi Cosmin,

unfortunately I have a virus which causes serious pain in my stomach, so I was not able to pratice anything since last Friday... I am still not fit, but I started to read through the thread to learn at least the theoretical aspects.
I am however a bit confused by the relation between the modal progressions and the modes. Are the numbers like "IImi" direclty related to the numbers of the modes or am I missing something?

Hey mate, hope you are better! Those numbers are related to the chords which can be derived from the mode formula by harmonization wink.gif

If you got C major, it's formula will be C D E F G A B C and the chords would be IM7 iim7 iiim7 IVM7 V7 iv6 dim7 VIIIM7

if we want to derive the Mixolydian mode from C major, we get G mixolydian (the mixolydian mode is formed from the 5th step of a natural major scale), which has the formula G A B C D E but the chords are I7 iim7 iiidim IVM7 iim7 iiim7 IVM7 smile.gif the chord types are being changed so that they may fit the original chords biggrin.gif

Let me know if this is clear to you ok?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Stinger
Aug 27 2012, 03:11 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Aug 25 2012, 01:33 PM) *
Hey mate, hope you are better! Those numbers are related to the chords which can be derived from the mode formula by harmonization wink.gif

If you got C major, it's formula will be C D E F G A B C and the chords would be IM7 iim7 iiim7 IVM7 V7 iv6 dim7 VIIIM7

if we want to derive the Mixolydian mode from C major, we get G mixolydian (the mixolydian mode is formed from the 5th step of a natural major scale), which has the formula G A B C D E but the chords are I7 iim7 iiidim IVM7 iim7 iiim7 IVM7 smile.gif the chord types are being changed so that they may fit the original chords biggrin.gif

Let me know if this is clear to you ok?

Cosmin

Well, I'll have to think twice about that, but I think I can work with that explanation smile.gif However, that kind of theory is still a bit new for me - I have problems creating a relation between e.g. "iim7" and a chord, as well as the relation between the modes and chords. I'll look into it.

--------------------

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:53 AM