New Guitar, Tremolo probs
Tmas
Mar 31 2008, 12:56 AM
GMC:er
So i finally went and got my new guitar, Fender Deluxe player's strat. It plays nicely and looks amazing, only problem is the tremelo. I have never owned a guitar with a tremelo and I don't know much about them but what can I do to keep it from going out of tune? Also it makes kinda a pop sound when I use it. It sounds like its coming from the nut, is this why I always hear about people putting graphite or whatever on it? Also, will this help it stay in tune? Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tmas: Mar 31 2008, 12:57 AM

--------------------
Yeah... I'm member number 911. What about it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Mar 31 2008, 07:01 AM
The best thing is exercise your strings if they are new. This means pushing the whammy back and forth for a couple minutes. Don't break a string though haha.

As for the nut popping...no idea dude. Your going to have to be a bit more specific. I think fender has some swank roller nuts. Graphite it probably your best bet though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 31 2008, 07:21 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Sorry, can't help you with your problem..

But congratulations on the new guitar smile.gif

+Quote Post
SensE
Mar 31 2008, 08:00 AM
Congrat ! Fender always makes good guitar, no doubt. An alder body strat is impressive. Look at how's Marcus Lavendell treat it and you gonna be a guitar hero soon. Ha ! Stay tuned

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 31 2008, 08:11 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I think on a Strat model - without a floating bridge - the biggest problem isn't the bridge/trem but the machine heads but in your case on that guitar I think they are no problem either. Maybe just the strings are too new and still stretching?

Put graphite to try if it helps, it lubricates a bit. So either the nut as you say or if it comes from the string tree on th ehead stock.

Also check the back of it, inside, how many springs are attached. I'm not all that familiar with stratocasters, I have a strat copy but I rarely use it and in it I have three springs with 009 strings if I remember well - which is fine. Check yours!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 31 2008, 05:23 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Another option would be to not use it in a floating position, which means add some springs and make sure that in the normal position the tremolo is lying on the guitars body. Like this you can only release the strings with the tremolo, so if you want to do bends you would have to do this with your fingers, but the guitar should stay in tune better than if the tremolo would be floating. And as the others said, stretching the strings is a must anyway

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Tmas
Mar 31 2008, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I've been playing it all day and I have to say it has gotten a bit better. I had this same problem on my other guitar but not as bad, it also didnt have a tremolo. At first I wasnt sure but now I am almost positive the sound is coming from the nut.. I don't really know how to describe it except as a popping sound and then it kinda of reverberates down the string. I've even noticed that when I push the whammy down in one direction some of the strings go out of tune and some don't and then when I push it the other direction the strings make the popping sound again and go almost back into tune.. I guess I just need to put some graphite on it right? Also, how would I go about stretching the strings? I probably need to take the guitar in to a shop and have them do it right?

--------------------
Yeah... I'm member number 911. What about it?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 1 2008, 12:11 AM
Instructor
Congratulations! smile.gif

I suggest you take your time, the guitar hasn't been "played in" yet. Get to know the guitar a littel better before you do any setup jobs.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 10 2008, 07:04 AM
The popping sound you are hearing is the string(s) getting caught in the nut when you use the vibrato. Rub some pencil lead in the nut slots to alleviate this problem. Other than that, replace the stock vibrato with a Floyd Rose if you plan on using the vibrato alot. Good luck!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 10 2008, 09:30 AM
Instructor
congrats on your start i think there is no problem with your new start just may cause a new strings but after a month
be sure from that try to bend the strings for a high bend with fingers without using tremolo .

+Quote Post
JensN
May 11 2008, 08:09 PM
QUOTE (FrankW @ May 10 2008, 08:04 AM) *
The popping sound you are hearing is the string(s) getting caught in the nut when you use the vibrato. Rub some pencil lead in the nut slots to alleviate this problem. Other than that, replace the stock vibrato with a Floyd Rose if you plan on using the vibrato alot. Good luck!

I had the same problem with my Stratocaster (I've got a Highway One, upg.) but only with g-string (ni pun intended).
I tried the trick with pencil lead in the nut slot and it became much better. In the end I had the luthier in the shop I bought have a look at it, and he said the nut slot was a bit to tight according to the specifications from Fender so he fixed that. Problem solved. But I suggest you do as FrankW suggested first.

Good luck and congratulations to your new guitar! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:29 AM