2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Cables, Is there a huge difference?
blazestrings
Apr 25 2008, 11:10 PM
GMC:er
Heya!

I’m looking to purchase some guitar cables and i wanted to know what cables or Cable Company is worth the price and worth buying. I have read reviews on cables such as "Monster Cable Rock 1/4" Straight Instrument Cable" and the reviews say this type of cable is perfect. I have also read reviews on the same cable and some professionals were saying it’s not worth the price, since there is not a big difference from other standard cables. My question I am posing is this cable worth the price or am I better off with a standard cable for 25 bucks?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

- www.Blazestrings.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 25 2008, 11:24 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Standard cables to my experience don't last very long before they start to run poor at some positions.
I don't know if it's wort it to get the most expencive cord but I purchased a Planet Waves cord which was about the price of 4-5 standard cords.
I expect it to last longer and work better. It's gold plated and noiceless. There was a model above this with a circuit breaker button but I rather keep it simple, less things that can break.

But yes, I'm sick and tired of cheapo cords, I rather spend a bit more.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
blazestrings
Apr 25 2008, 11:41 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Apr 25 2008, 02:24 PM) *
Standard cables to my experience don't last very long before they start to run poor at some positions.
I don't know if it's wort it to get the most expencive cord but I purchased a Planet Waves cord which was about the price of 4-5 standard cords.
I expect it to last longer and work better. It's gold plated and noiceless. There was a model above this with a circuit breaker button but I rather keep it simple, less things that can break.

But yes, I'm sick and tired of cheapo cords, I rather spend a bit more.

Sweet! Thanks for the reply! I just wanted to know someone’s opinion on the subject. tongue.gif

--------------------

- www.Blazestrings.com

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Apr 26 2008, 06:35 AM
i use fender california cables.. they are awsome colours.. and stand up very well smile.gif ive gone through maybe 2 in 2 years

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Apr 26 2008, 09:20 AM
Instructor
Check out the evidence cables, they are really good. And yes...is good to spend a little more on the cables, your sound run through them...

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 26 2008, 09:52 AM
Instructor
any cables but be sure to be noisless cable

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 26 2008, 11:43 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well I used some time cheap cables and they were dying without reason very soon...SO its much better to buy one good quality cable that will last you longer smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 26 2008, 01:02 PM
Moderation Policy Director
I agree - I'm not sure I buy that higher end cables will make you sound better than an equivalent cheap one as some claim (well maybe a little better but not a huge amount), but the rugedness alone is definitely worth spending the extra for.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 26 2008, 01:10 PM
Instructor
I dont think you have to buy the most expensive cables to get the best sound, but if you have a rack.. good and durable patchcables are really recommended.

George L is good for patchcables. Theyre not that expensive either.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Apr 26 2008, 01:11 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Marshmall0wz
Apr 26 2008, 01:39 PM
I REALLY recommend MONSTER CABLES because they are covered FOR LIFE. that's right you will never need to buy another one again.

--------------------

Gibson SG-3 Faded
Epiphone Thunderbird
Ovation CC48
Vox AD30VT
Vintage U.S. Peavey Microbass
Orange Tiny Terror w/ 212 Cabinet
Creativity

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 26 2008, 04:12 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hehehe now I remembered smile.gif
I had some Proel life time guarantee cables and we were playing a gig smile.gif
We started playing a heavy song and people went jumping like crazy and everything and one girl fell on stage and stepped on my pedal board at the place where my cable goes in ...so the gold plated metal tip of cable was ripped off smile.gif
So much of life time guarantee smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Apr 26 2008, 04:12 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 27 2008, 02:24 AM
Instructor
The quality of the sound is not important. The quality built of the cable is. The cable must be well crafted in order to with stand the constant road abuse.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
blazestrings
Apr 29 2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks all for the advice!

I purchased 2 Cables from the company Monster Cables and they are perfect! What really got to me is they are life time warranty! Also if they ever break I can just bring them to the store I purchased them from, and get new ones right then and there! blink.gif

--------------------

- www.Blazestrings.com

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 29 2008, 09:02 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
In BG we are using a lot of Monster cables, but other good cables are fine too, I would just not go for ANY cable since cheap ones tend to break easily and it is no fun at all to check your setup for a broken cable in the middle of a gig.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jul 14 2008, 07:58 PM
I've finally "completed" my pedalboard in terms of the pedals I wanted (well, at least for now). Only porblem now is I need some quality patch cables? What would you people suggest? I've almost heard good things ONLY about George L's. But then it happened. Today just before I was gonna sit down and make the order I came across A LOT of bad reviews. Espacially concerning the plugs loosening and failing on stage.

So, what are you'e opinions and suggestions?
And Marcus, if not using cables, what wireless system do you recommend?

+Quote Post
swingline
Jul 14 2008, 08:08 PM
I buy Monster Cables, they sound awesome with no noise and they have a lifetime warranty so I just take it in to Guitar Center and they give me a new one. I've had it for almost a year and it still works like the first day I bought it.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jul 14 2008, 08:18 PM
Instructor
Buy good cables, and buy a good soldering pencil. you will never need to spend more money in cables wink.gif

+Quote Post
PanicProne
Jul 14 2008, 08:22 PM
So, Juan, what cables do you suggest?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 14 2008, 10:11 PM
Instructor
Good quality cables are durable, and that is what you are paying mostly. Of course there is a minor difference in sound quality but that is not a primary thing. Primary thing is durability imo.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Jul 14 2008, 10:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PanicProne @ Jul 14 2008, 09:22 PM) *
So, Juan, what cables do you suggest?

Professional Cables, for sure. Noisless is a must !!! and if you need to conect lot of pedals/racks try to use cables as short as possible !!!! I suffer the pain of long cables, and believe me it's so sad sad.gif

Good cables, not necessary the most expensive, but never the cheaper smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:30 AM