Introduction, introducing myself
norules
Oct 30 2011, 09:30 AM
GMC:er
hello im wayne. i been playing 4 years this christmas. ive got a bit obsessed with guitar and i play sort of 2-5 hours a day which does the mrs's head in! i think ive got to a pretty good standard for how long ive been playing. its definately all about dedication eh! i also right my own songs and have started a band which is in its early stages called the anti-arrest martial arts :-) ive been a member here before and this website has helped me immensly. i have to unsubscribe sometimes when im skint but i come back!

as a nipper i was a punk rocker and still am but my music tastes are much more varied now and ive got a bit of a vision of where i want to get too and any help getting there would be great. i try to base all my songs around dub reggae and then break off into other styles and genres but allways built around the dub reggae and the reggae bass line and always staying true to my punk roots. i try to mix in punk/metal/drumnbass/rave/any other craziness i can get out of my efx pedals. i call it dub punk! check out a band called inner terrestrials on you tube if anyones interested in this genre. i find dub a hard genre to learn as its not that popular for gutarists and there is a lack of lessons/info online. the other problem learning i have is the use of effects. especially delay. while there are quite a few basic lessons out there you cannot find any more advanced lessons which would be very usefull. i geuss its just a case of hours tweaking?

another thing i'm keen to learn is to make my own backing tracks. ive got pro-tools m-powered essential and the little box it comes with but it wont let you use 3rd party drum beats as its restricted. it has got beats for you to use but it is sections of drum loops not a drum machine and ive had to spend hours chopping them up to make them into a song of my own. i did a drum track the other day and it just took too long. i want play guitar not program a computer! any advice on this?

my gear is: fender highway one sratocaster with seymour duncan hot rails in the bridge and a shadow killswitch fitted (recommended big time!)this goes into a ehx nano metal muff to marshall guv'nor to boss phase shifter to digitech bass synth wah to line 6 dl4 to ehx nano holy grail reverb to noise gate to roland cube xl. im quite happy with my current set up and its taken me alot of effort to get it to how it is. im just missing wah which ill have in a few more pay checks and i want to replace the guvnor with another one as this ones a bit dicky and the nano metal muff im thinking of getting something a little less brutal.

there you go thats me and any help and advice and riffs will be greatly appreiated

thanks very much

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by norules: Oct 30 2011, 09:36 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 30 2011, 10:06 AM
Instructor
Hey Wayne, great intro cool.gif I love that band name !! laugh.gif

I don't really know enough about delay and other effects to help with those questions but thankfully this site is heaving with bigger gear heads than me so I'm sure someone will have the answers smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
norules
Oct 30 2011, 10:46 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 30 2011, 09:06 AM) *
Hey Wayne, great intro cool.gif I love that band name !! laugh.gif

I don't really know enough about delay and other effects to help with those questions but thankfully this site is heaving with bigger gear heads than me so I'm sure someone will have the answers smile.gif

cheers ben!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Oct 30 2011, 02:17 PM
Instructor
Welcome man!

Doing backing tracks can be really fun, I enjoy that process

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 30 2011, 03:36 PM
Instructor
Welcome aboard man, very cool introduction! smile.gif

I like your gear, and it's cool that you are experimenting with your sound. This reminds me of myself in the early days when I had bunch of pedals. I bought a processor some time ago and sold all my pedals. It turned out tone I was looking for wasn't in pedals in the first place.

Regarding delay, here is a selection of lessons that have something to do with delay. Delay serves for various functions, for what do you need it for? Perhaps we can help there?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Oct 31 2011, 05:24 PM
Instructor
Nice intro man and Welcome to the site smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 31 2011, 05:40 PM
Welcome to GMC! I'm Todd and I do our Saturday Video Chat Lessons @ 5PM EST, 10PM GMT. Please do stop by if you can smile.gif It's always a good jam. Also, try to take in as many video chat lessons as you can in general. Being able to interact with an instructor and ask questions in real time is part of what makes GMC so cool!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 1 2011, 06:53 AM
Instructor
hey man! welcome to the site! this is a very interesting introduction. I'm now covering different punk styles and I'm very interested in knowing what you exactly call "dub punk"... I'm searching with Google right now. smile.gif

Regarding creating drums I use EZ drummer and it includes many drum loops that can help to start.. then you can edit it a bit to make it fit with your musical idea. You can also search for some midi drum loops and use them as a template for your music.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
norules
Nov 1 2011, 08:29 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 1 2011, 05:53 AM) *
hey man! welcome to the site! this is a very interesting introduction. I'm now covering different punk styles and I'm very interested in knowing what you exactly call "dub punk"... I'm searching with Google right now. smile.gif

Regarding creating drums I use EZ drummer and it includes many drum loops that can help to start.. then you can edit it a bit to make it fit with your musical idea. You can also search for some midi drum loops and use them as a template for your music.

hello gabriel!

i'm a big fan of your lessons. i recently learnt your buckethead style lesson which i quite enjoyed and really shocked myself at how quick i was able to play the fast bit at the end. i had it nailed in a weekend pretty much. my new song "up the arab spring" has a bit of the first riff in your skatepunk lesson in it. (i made it my own as best i could. its in a different key and i changed it slightly. i didnt completely steal it :-) ive done quite a few other lessons of yours too. i liked your reggae lesson and the john frusciante one too.

as for dub punk, thats what i call it but i dont think its generally defined as that. heres some of my influences if ya interested that i'd loosly call dub punk;

HEADJAM www.myspace.com/headjamuk the guitarist of this band is unbelievable with effects. they only really play raves and squat gigs. ive seen them a bunch of times and they blow my mind every time,

INNER TERRESTRIALS probably my favourite band and biggest influence. not that much good quality stuff on the net but if you can get there album called "x" its really something or if you give me your address i'll send you a copy. there punks so they wont mind if i spread the word i'm sure! heres a couple of recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBSaNWSzMII...feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqn-XfhxxXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIgV0eo7F40

P.A.I.N (propaganda and information network)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rnD24NBUX4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpCZwbEk70Y...feature=related

basically mix punk with reggae and get ya pedals out!! hope you like them. ive seen all of these bands in abandonded buildings for less than £5 and then had a beer with them afterwards. thats how music should be if you ask me. if you want me to compile you a list of bands like this let me know i'd be more than happy to

i really want to find some lessons that shows you how to use delay in more than one setting throughout a song and generally any tips especially with crazy sounds. ive got a line 6 dl4 which is great but everytime we start a new song i have to save all the tempo settings to each patch for the tempo of the next song. how do the pro's get around this? i like timed delays and i'll often use 2 or 3 different ones in a song and if i tap in the wrong tempo before we start then it sounds shite. i dont want to have a delay pedal for every tempo i play!!

i'd also like to learn some elctronic music. ive never got into it to behonest unless i'm at a rave out of my head but i think elements of drum and bass and other genres sound really good when mixed with music played by people holding instruments.

also check out a band called bedouin soundclash. they're from canada and play kind of acoustic dubby reggae and the guys a master of the delay pedal and a very talented singer as well.

thanks for your time mate and sorry to ramble on for ages! i'm gonna do a bit of research on EZ drummer now

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:32 AM