Trying To Figure Out Why This Minor Scale Works...., Dissecting old Maiden songs
Nijyo
Feb 3 2009, 07:48 AM
GMC:er
Hello, this is my first post, and I have a feeling that I'm simply missing something obvious.

I'm learning "Running Free" by Iron Maiden as a cover, and insofar as I can tell, the song is in E minor. However one guitar part does the interlude runs in the B Natural Minor and I'm not quite sure why it works?

Am I reading this wrong, perhaps, or am I missing something since its 12:20am?

Here's the GP file I'm using:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/i/iron..._guitar_pro.htm

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Tolek
Feb 3 2009, 11:41 AM
Learning Rock Star
Actually it isn´t correct. If you slow down the tempo, you´ll see that on that place it sounds very wrong.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 3 2009, 01:37 PM
Instructor
I think your tab is good.
I listened to the track and they are playing in E Dorian which is a minor mode.
In fact B minor and E Dorian share the same notes...
Hope that helps!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Nijyo
Feb 3 2009, 11:38 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Feb 3 2009, 05:37 AM) *
I think your tab is good.
I listened to the track and they are playing in E Dorian which is a minor mode.
In fact B minor and E Dorian share the same notes...
Hope that helps!

Hm hm. That seems to make sense.

I had the thought this morning (when my head was a bit clearer) that E to B is a fifth, so it would make sense that if both scales have the same notes, that they simply moved the run up a fifth for harmony purposes (this is early Iron Maiden and none had an extensive theory knowledge at the time, so plausible). What do you think?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 4 2009, 12:42 AM
Instructor
I absolutely agree, and even if a little off, that scale does work after all, right? :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
berko
Feb 4 2009, 12:45 AM
I think David is right here. Iron Maiden usually harmonizes guitar leads and chorus melodies by perfect 5ths or octaves and sometimes (later) in diatonic 3rds.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Nijyo
Feb 4 2009, 01:59 AM
That makes much more sense to me now. Thanks everyone.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:45 PM