> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Doug Lane's Practice Routines
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 18 2013, 01:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Doug! Welcome to your thread for Gab's Army. This thread is to help you to design your practice routines, to suggest lessons, and to give you feedback about your playing.

Please post here some of your stuff as well as your favourite musicians / bands to start working.

The principles of our Army are:

+ Improve your technique
+ Make music and solos
+ Have fun
+ Destroy the enemy (hahaha not really just kidding... )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Oct 19 2013, 12:57 AM
GMC:er
Thanks a bunch Gab!

As far as influences go, I have to say a few of my greatest are the iconic great instrumental guitarists like Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert,John Petrucci and Jason Becker. I also very much like some of the newer ones on the scene like Marco Sfogli, Guthrie Govan, and Alex Hutchings. My favorite full on bands are Protest the Hero, Between the Buried and Me, Dream Theater, and Opeth.

My short term goals (1 year) as a guitarist are:
- to improve my picking technique (including exercising use of pedal tones and intermediate/advanced sweep picking and string skipping)
-to improve my knowledge of theory and songwriting in general (I know much of the basics of theory, but I'd like to bring it into more consistent practice so it becomes more a part of my routine and apply it to my learning approach)
-to practice recording techniques and production to soon create a free to distribute record for the web

Medium term (3-5 years)
-Submit entries to the G.I.T. department of Musicians Institute, California in their yearly full ride program, and persue networking and scholarship opportunities in that field
-Begin teaching guitar professionally on a small scale to supplement my income

Long term goals I haven't decided on really yet, but I'm sure it will involve a tour or two, and a degree in music.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Doug Lane: Oct 19 2013, 01:00 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 20 2013, 11:37 PM
Instructor
Hi Doug! Very nice information. I think that we have to create a practice routine that covers all these topics that you want to master. I think that your short and mid term goals sound very good and that here you will find all the things that you need to achieve them. I will help you with it!

First I would like to know if you have any audio or video of you playing, also it would be good if you can post here videos weekly to let me monitor your progress.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Oct 21 2013, 11:42 PM
Hi Gabe! it's been a little while since I sent you anything, but here is the take of "Neoclassical Etude #1" I promised. I'm not completely happy with it just yet, but this is the first take of the day, and I'm playing it at about this level consistently, so I feel this is the first step to an worthy entry! let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Doug

EDIT: Also, I managed to make a live lesson by Cosmin Lupu last week, and he assigned homework. The topic was on expression, dynamics and feeling for emulating a vocal line. His homework was to choose a vocal line to emulate on guitar, and use all of the techniques covered. I chose the song "lilium" from Elfen Lied, a song that is very much like a hymn, originally sung in latin. This is the original song, as well my my own take on it. Enjoy!

This post has been edited by Doug Lane: Oct 21 2013, 11:42 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 22 2013, 04:35 PM
Instructor
Hi Doug! Very good stuff! I think that you are very close to master the Neoclassical lesson. You have a very goo technique. Your right hand movement and way of holding your pick are a bit different to what I'm used to see but it's working for you so I don't think that you must change it. There are many examples of guitarists that use the pick in different ways and work great (check Steve Morse, Van Halen, Batio, etc).

The second video also sounds very nice and I think that this type of work add a lot of expression to your playing. We will definitely add feeling and dynamics work into the diary routine.

Based on this two videos and the information that you've already given me, let's design your routine. How do you see a plan like this one?

Warming Up
Picking Arpeggios

Hour 1

Alternate Picking
Neoclassical Etude #1
Crossing Strings Exercises 1
Crossing Strings Exercises 2

Sweep Picking
Sweep Picking Lesson

Feeling & Dynamics
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/

Hour 2

Legato
Legato Stamina

Theory
Learn a new concept every day from this list: LINK

Application of techniques and concepts in song ideas and jams.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Oct 23 2013, 01:47 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Oct 22 2013, 05:27 PM
I've been told by many people that my right hand is a little strange to watch, and have had people try to tell me to change the way I hold it, but I just can't seem to get the right kind of control of the pick without extending the thumb joint like I do. I think it has something to do with me having naturally extended ligaments, my fingers are freakishly flexible. after looking around for a while, it seems like my method is like an exaggerated Jimi Hendrix style.

This routine sounds very good to me! most days I will have time to practice for two hours, but I think on days that I'm short on time I will just regroup and organize my practice materials so I can be ready for the day I come back in. Also, attending live lessons will be priority, but I think having a basic structure like this will help me very much keep on track to my goals. thanks gabe!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 22 2013, 03:35 PM) *
Hi Doug! Very good stuff! I think that you are very close to master the Neoclassical lesson. You have a very goo technique. Your right hand movement and way of holding your pick are a bit different to what I'm used to see but it's working for you so I don't think that you must change it. There are many examples of guitarists that use the pick in different ways and work great (check Steve Morse, Van Halen, Batio, etc).

The second video also sounds very nice and I think that this type of work add a lot of expression to your playing. We will definitely add feeling and dynamics work into the diary routine.

Based on this two videos and the information that you've already given me, let's design your routine. How do you see a plan like this one?

Warming Up

Hour 1

Alternate Picking

Sweep Picking

Feeling & Dynamics

Hour 2

Legato

Theory

Application of techniques and concepts in song ideas and jams.

This post has been edited by Doug Lane: Oct 22 2013, 05:37 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 23 2013, 01:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Oct 22 2013, 01:27 PM) *
I've been told by many people that my right hand is a little strange to watch, and have had people try to tell me to change the way I hold it, but I just can't seem to get the right kind of control of the pick without extending the thumb joint like I do. I think it has something to do with me having naturally extended ligaments, my fingers are freakishly flexible. after looking around for a while, it seems like my method is like an exaggerated Jimi Hendrix style.

This routine sounds very good to me! most days I will have time to practice for two hours, but I think on days that I'm short on time I will just regroup and organize my practice materials so I can be ready for the day I come back in. Also, attending live lessons will be priority, but I think having a basic structure like this will help me very much keep on track to my goals. thanks gabe!

Yeah, thre are many examples of guitarist that uses very weird ways to hold the pick. Check this video:

The idea is that we fill the different items in the routine with specific exercises and lessons every week, and make some modifications on it after 1 or 2 weeks until we find the most effective for you.

I just added lessons and exercises in your routine. Check it out and let me know what you think.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Oct 23 2013, 04:19 PM
Thank you so much sir! I'm getting started on it right away.
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 23 2013, 12:48 PM) *
Yeah, thre are many examples of guitarist that uses very weird ways to hold the pick. Check this video:

The idea is that we fill the different items in the routine with specific exercises and lessons every week, and make some modifications on it after 1 or 2 weeks until we find the most effective for you.

I just added lessons and exercises in your routine. Check it out and let me know what you think.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 23 2013, 09:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Oct 23 2013, 12:19 PM) *
Thank you so much sir! I'm getting started on it right away.

Cool!! Keep me updated. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Oct 24 2013, 01:15 AM
Hey Gabe! I did everything requested on the lesson itinerary for today, and spent the rest of my time playing guitar tackling the last of "The Tasty Etude" again. I felt this was a great way to work out a new recording method for my videos , I think the result is quite good. I feel there is a wee little bit more room for improvement, but time for my evening is getting quite short, and I want to start tackling some of Johnathan Burgos' s material in the style of Steve Lukather tomorrow!Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't even know about his lessons until you showed me.

There is a good possibility I may be able to make it to the Live chat tomorrow and friday! I look forward to finally getting to attend one of them.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 23 2013, 08:17 PM) *
Cool!! Keep me updated. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Doug Lane: Oct 24 2013, 02:23 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 24 2013, 02:27 AM
Instructor
Awesome mate! You did a great take of this one. There are some little timing issues here and there but the overall is really good. I think that you still can give those vibratos more feeling, and make them even more consistent. Check the original lesson and try to emulate Jonathan vibrato which is fantastic. I also think that adding Lukather style lesson is a good idea, to slowly replace this one in your routine.

Ok mate, it's great to see you working hard! Let's talk tomorrow! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Oct 29 2013, 04:23 PM
Hey Gab, Hope you are doing well. It's been a while since I've sent you an update on how I'm doing with guitar. Unfortunately, I've been selected to take on quite a few extra duties this past week, and I haven't had quite the time I needed to keep up with a strict two hour block of practice. Things should be clearing up for me here in a few days, but it does bring to mind a very important question; What can I do to continue improving my skills when I am not able to play my instrument, or access my library of study materials?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 24 2013, 01:27 AM) *
Awesome mate! You did a great take of this one. There are some little timing issues here and there but the overall is really good. I think that you still can give those vibratos more feeling, and make them even more consistent. Check the original lesson and try to emulate Jonathan vibrato which is fantastic. I also think that adding Lukather style lesson is a good idea, to slowly replace this one in your routine.

Ok mate, it's great to see you working hard! Let's talk tomorrow! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 31 2013, 02:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Oct 29 2013, 12:23 PM) *
Hey Gab, Hope you are doing well. It's been a while since I've sent you an update on how I'm doing with guitar. Unfortunately, I've been selected to take on quite a few extra duties this past week, and I haven't had quite the time I needed to keep up with a strict two hour block of practice. Things should be clearing up for me here in a few days, but it does bring to mind a very important question; What can I do to continue improving my skills when I am not able to play my instrument, or access my library of study materials?

Hi mate, I'm sorry of knowing that you on't have enough time nowadays. There are some ideas that come to mind to make your time more effective.

- Listen to music and sing over it on pitch. This will train your ear and voice which are the key to then connect your mind with your guitar.
- Read & learn theory: You can print one topic for each day from this thread and learn it during the day in the free moments: LINK
- Getting something like this?

- There are also some finger gymnastics, I have never used it but I remember that Cosmin talked about that. Maybe you can experiment with it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Nov 11 2013, 07:15 AM
I figure this is a good a reason to update my thread as any...

today I spent all day writing, arranging, recording, and editing a song to showcase the sound I can get out of the equipment setup I currently have. this is the song: https://soundcloud.com/doug-lane/the-axe-grinder

I still feel I have a way's to go with the current subject matter in my practice regimen, but I feel like working on it was instrumental to me being able to bring this track into existence! Thanks Gab!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2013, 01:16 PM
Instructor
Hi Doug! I'm back! smile.gif

It's really cool to see that you have worked on a full lesson. Composing is something that must be trained as well as techniques. You will notice that your songs will become better and better. The composition has some cool parts: I like the first riffs, and how it evolved into the verse. I don't find a very catchy part after the verse, it keeps a similar "intention" in the following part, so I think that the tune is lacking something like a chorus, that part that you keep singing or reminding after hearing a song. It can be something very melodic or it can also be something different, another riff, a guitar effect, another instrument arrangement, etc.

The mix sounds a bit over compressed, mostly the drums. Are you using a compressor for the mix or the drums? Your guitar is not very defined, and I think that you can improve a bit your tone. Can you give me the specific setting that your are using as well as the gear?
Also, I don't hear the bass, is there a bass track?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Nov 12 2013, 04:44 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 12 2013, 12:16 PM) *
Hi Doug! I'm back! smile.gif

It's really cool to see that you have worked on a full lesson. Composing is something that must be trained as well as techniques. You will notice that your songs will become better and better. The composition has some cool parts: I like the first riffs, and how it evolved into the verse. I don't find a very catchy part after the verse, it keeps a similar "intention" in the following part, so I think that the tune is lacking something like a chorus, that part that you keep singing or reminding after hearing a song. It can be something very melodic or it can also be something different, another riff, a guitar effect, another instrument arrangement, etc.

The mix sounds a bit over compressed, mostly the drums. Are you using a compressor for the mix or the drums? Your guitar is not very defined, and I think that you can improve a bit your tone. Can you give me the specific setting that your are using as well as the gear?
Also, I don't hear the bass, is there a bass track?

I am recording with guitar rig 4.The detuned guitar is being played on a gratifier amp model with the Mezone metalcore distortion, sent through a set of 4x12 UK 60's. I'm also running a shelved EQ that is doing a gentle scoop betweem 100 Hz and 3000 Hz, and a parametric EQ giving a gentle boost around between 800-1200 Hz.

The lead tone is generally the same for the solo's, but without a scoop on the EQ (my BC Rich has active pickups, so I didn't want to overpower the trebles on it) and a small amount of quad delay and studio reverb.

I'm using Addictive drums to process the midi from guitar pro to automate my drums, I honestly don't remember everything I did with it. I don't know a thing about mixing for drums, so I just decided to leave the mixing to default in the standalone and try to build my mix around it.

As far as bass goes, I currently don't have an electric bass I can record with, so I tried to make my detuned guitar bassy enough to compensate, but it definitely fell flat. It sounded great on my speakers, but it began to fall apart when I tried mixing it with earbuds and headphones on.

I'm honestly going at this whole recording process in a very trial and error manner of engagement. learning more about digital recording is definitely higher on my list of priorities now that I'm doing it again.

Also, I find it important to tell you that I have several other songs in the works right now that I'm taking a much slower approach to composing. This track was more or less a vehicle to show off the sound of my new guitar. The next one will be better, I promise.

This post has been edited by Doug Lane: Nov 12 2013, 05:02 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 12 2013, 05:08 PM
Instructor
Ok, let's start with the drums. You should be able to direct each drum track (kick, snare, toms, hh) to a different channel in your project to be able to EQ, compress an maybe add some reverb to each one. Are you doing this?

You should have something like this:

1. Kick
2. Snare
3. Tom 1
4. Tom 2
5. Tom 3
6. HH
7. Overheads
8. Room

Each of these channels should be also routed to a group in your daw that allows you to process and change the volume of the whole kit.

Let me know if you are at this point...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Nov 13 2013, 02:30 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 12 2013, 04:08 PM) *
Ok, let's start with the drums. You should be able to direct each drum track (kick, snare, toms, hh) to a different channel in your project to be able to EQ, compress an maybe add some reverb to each one. Are you doing this?

You should have something like this:

1. Kick
2. Snare
3. Tom 1
4. Tom 2
5. Tom 3
6. HH
7. Overheads
8. Room

Each of these channels should be also routed to a group in your daw that allows you to process and change the volume of the whole kit.

Let me know if you are at this point...

There appears to be an option for the VST plugin version to take midi input from compatible DAW's. Addictive drums has built in editing options for individual and groups. If I figure out how to use it this way, it could prove to be a massive time saver, I'll get back to you on it when I figure it out.

I also just realized that since my computer is equipped with BEATS audio, the audio output is highly improved for my speakers, but the quality greatly degrades when turn it off. I should have a much easier time making more accurate mixing choices since I've disabled it.

This post has been edited by Doug Lane: Nov 13 2013, 02:34 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 13 2013, 01:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Doug Lane @ Nov 12 2013, 10:30 PM) *
There appears to be an option for the VST plugin version to take midi input from compatible DAW's. Addictive drums has built in editing options for individual and groups. If I figure out how to use it this way, it could prove to be a massive time saver, I'll get back to you on it when I figure it out.

I also just realized that since my computer is equipped with BEATS audio, the audio output is highly improved for my speakers, but the quality greatly degrades when turn it off. I should have a much easier time making more accurate mixing choices since I've disabled it.

Ah, this is maybe the reason why you weren't getting the best from your rum kit sound and also from your guitar. I think that you can get a better tone with Guitar Rig. Be sure that you are not using too much drive in your patch. Sometimes you can get a very good tone, by adding a bit of rive from the amp and then put a overdrive pedal in the chain if you need some more sustain / distortion.

Ok, I would like to listen to a new mix from you, is it possible? Also let me know if you want some tips to mix drums. (EQ, Comp & Reverb)

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Doug Lane
Nov 13 2013, 11:53 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Nov 13 2013, 12:11 PM) *
Ah, this is maybe the reason why you weren't getting the best from your rum kit sound and also from your guitar. I think that you can get a better tone with Guitar Rig. Be sure that you are not using too much drive in your patch. Sometimes you can get a very good tone, by adding a bit of rive from the amp and then put a overdrive pedal in the chain if you need some more sustain / distortion.

Ok, I would like to listen to a new mix from you, is it possible? Also let me know if you want some tips to mix drums. (EQ, Comp & Reverb)

after disabling it and working with the sound on my external mic in port, I've managed to fix my guitar sounds. I will be re recording everything I've done since joining this site this weekend now that I've discovered the problem, I find it unnacceptable to have so much awful sounding content online. Thank you for being honest with me about how it sounds, I wouldn't have caught it if no one had said anything.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:50 PM