2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Mtp December Thread - Lester
Luciana Segovia
Dec 7 2009, 03:42 AM
Singing Instructor
Hello Lester! Welcome to the vocal MTP of december!!!

Please post here your CV:

tell me if you have ever sung, if you know something about vocal technique and please also post your influences and favorite music.

ps: if you have any video or audio of you singing... please post it too .

Thank you

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 7 2009, 07:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Luciana,

About me:

Actually I have sung a lot. I grew up in church and as a kid you sing along with the songs, like three times a week (songs last for about 30 minutes so I usually sing 90 minutes a week.).

So, I do sing a lot. I also am singing for about two years now in a Dutch teenage choir called "the young jesus people"
For a few months now I also sing solos in the choir, I don't have any recordings of that unfortunately.

I also am singing occasionally when I perform with three friends of mine. One of the does the main voice and me and one other guy do the backing vocals (2nd voice? don't know how to say it in English tongue.gif)

Oh, I used to rap also, I'm no good at that so I quit it two years ago tongue.gif had a few nice concerts though. (I might be not that bad after all biggrin.gif)

So, lots of experience. thing is: I don't know a thing about technique, never learned anything about it. a few tips and hints sometimes like: move your belly outward when breathing in and inwards when breathing out. arms beside your body and turn lean slightly backwards.

But I never really got any lessons on technique.
Also: I still got problems presenting myself on stage. I just feel uncomfortable standing in front of an audience.

About my influences:

I have some guitar influences, but not real singing influences yet. When I'm singing solo it's mostly pop songs or ballads. nothing heavy.
Brings me to what I would like to learn as well (besides technique and presentation) : heavy singing smile.gif
I don't mean screaming, I don't really like that, but to be able to sing with a bit of a raw edge to my voice would be nice.
Main examples of that: Thousand foot krutch, Skillet, Pillar (although not all of their songs)

I hope that makes sense tongue.gif

I like other music styles, besides (hard) rock as well, but these area's I feel I lack the most.

I think that was all about me, I'm really looking forward to this MTP and it's a privilege to be thaught by you, honestly! smile.gif

Lester

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Lester: Dec 7 2009, 11:45 PM

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Dec 9 2009, 05:32 AM
Singing Instructor
Hi Lester!!!!

Wow! a lot of experience!!!!! excellent!

well, when somebody sings a lot without vocal technique, appears the "bad habits", no matter how often do you sing.
Most of us are born without vocal defects, but over the years, various influences ( including nerves, our language, or personalities and habits) cause us to develop certain unfortunate faults which we are not aware of until either a teacher points them out or we hear ourselves singing on tape. Most of the faults are caused by poor technique of breath control, attack and resonance.
The tips that you know are about posture. Posture is a 10% of tecnique, so we have to learn more... right?

The problems that you feel on stage, maybe it's only insecurity. We'll work about that.

I like your influences, Lester! I'd like to hear your singing. Have you got something to hear? MP3, or video?, I have to listen you voice cause I need to know which will be your assignment. If you don't have anything, can you record it for me? a little part of a song? a Cappella maybe? like in church? I appreciate that!

and its a privilege you are on my MTP wink.gif

cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 9 2009, 08:34 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Luciana!!

I will record something for you, I'll just pick some songs I already sing right now, I guess that would be best. I think I can have it done before the weekend, just have to pick up a microphone to plug into my recording unit.

This saturday, and also next saturday I will be doing concerts with the young jesus people, we will be singing our christmas repertoire (I really don't like to sing christmas songs tongue.gif) but, the concert on the 19th of December will probably be recorded, so I'll also have some video available then about the way I act (behave) on stage. If I get to sing a solo that is, I hope so. biggrin.gif I'll let you know.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Dec 10 2009, 04:19 PM
Singing Instructor
Hi Lester!

It would be awsome if you can record something for me!.. thank you! But I have to give to you your assignment for this week, I don't know your level, so we can start with this warm up : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...inging-lesson2/

Be careful, Im a girl so my pitch is an octave higher than you, ok? Always practice an octave lower than me.And try to sing when you feel confortables the notes. It doesn't matter if the backing track goes all around the piano, you need to sing only the notes you can feel confortable.ok?

about practice: routine is good. I always prefer 10 minutes a day than an hour only one day.. ok?. practice this and if you can, i need to film yourself showing me your face and your neck. I have to see if your adam apple goes down while you are doing this exercise. Post it here when you have it!

If you have doubts, feel free to ask me EVERYTHING you want WHENEVER you want.

cheers! and good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 10 2009, 07:48 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Luciana,

that's ok. I'll get working on it. When is my deadline for this excercise?
I'll be picking up a microphone tommorow, but I won't be home till very late, so I'll record a demo on saturday if that's okay.

Cheers!

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Dec 10 2009, 10:40 PM
Singing Instructor
On satuday it will be perfect! Thank you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 12 2009, 08:32 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Luciana,

So here's a demo of a song I usually sing with some friends.
I recorded guitar, lead vocals and also some backing vocals in the chorus.

I thought it sounded better live than this audio file, but I'm totally new to mixing, so that might just be why.
next sunday I'm visiting a friend who has a studio. I hope it will get better in time biggrin.gif

Oh and it's just audio, no video. I have a cam to record, but there are some problems with it, which I haven't been able to solve yet, but I didn't want to delay my take so here is the audio file. Video will come soon! wink.gif

Cheers!

Attached File  faith_like_a_child.wma ( 3.34MB ) Number of downloads: 240

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Dec 16 2009, 04:45 AM
Singing Instructor
Hi Lester!

I heard your song. You have a very very very nice voice. Congratulations!!! on pitch always... very good!

I felt your voice a little contained, very slightly relaxed... maybe it's the song...But if you want to sing a rock songs you have to relax your voice... I don't know if you can understand what I'm saying. I hope so...

How is your assignment? I need an audio or a video... but i need it to give you the second assignment

cheers Lester!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 16 2009, 01:06 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Luciana Segovia @ Dec 16 2009, 04:45 AM) *
Hi Lester!

I heard your song. You have a very very very nice voice. Congratulations!!! on pitch always... very good!

I felt your voice a little contained, very slightly relaxed... maybe it's the song...But if you want to sing a rock songs you have to relax your voice... I don't know if you can understand what I'm saying. I hope so...

How is your assignment? I need an audio or a video... but i need it to give you the second assignment

cheers Lester!

Hi Luciana!

I tried to record the assigment yesterday, I had some problems with the right settings though, I will try again today.

I understand I have to relax my voice more, but what does "contained" mean?
Anyway, it could be the song, it could be my technique. I'll upload a vid soon, I think that'd be best!

Cheers!
Lester

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 18 2009, 12:59 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Luciana!

I finally managed to upload a vid to youtube, had to use another laptop, seems my USB-ports didn't quite do, but I'm glad it's fixed now! smile.gif

Here it is, my first assigment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOclw3G9leA

I tried to embed it in my post, but I didn't manage yet, I'll figure it out for next time smile.gif
Oh, and I hope you understand even a word of my Spanish tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Lester: Dec 18 2009, 01:12 AM

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Dec 20 2009, 04:56 AM
Singing Instructor
Hi Lester!

your spanish is awsome! wow! Congratulations!

I feel your voice great!.The humming is perfect , but only a thing I want to tell you. Try to be more relax while you are singing. The voice have to flow freely... smile.gif I don't here that fluency.. that's what I mean with "contained", like no fluency in your voice...

Well congrats!..you passed

This is your new assignment: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...inging-lesson3/

only two exercises, the first one for control the air while singing, and the pitch. The second one, to improvise something.

ps: You have a week to practice and then you have to post the video of the second assignment only, but keep practicing all.

good luck!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 21 2009, 12:52 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Luciana!

Thank you for the feedback, I'll try to be more relaxed, I hope I can! smile.gif
We had a concert with The Young Jesus people yesterday, here's a clip of my solo:

http://www.dedeurzwolle.nl/index.php?page=...hief=Tienerkoor De Bolder

You have to scroll all the way down to the end of the page, it's video number 2155

I actually had some problems that night which I have a lot of concerts:

When the concert start my throat gets really dry, some kind of nerves I guess....
We had a final repetition in the morning and then I didn't have those problems.

But my throat gets dry and in the end, my song is always the final one, my throat hurts a lot and I find it hard to control my voice by then. I know I can do better, because I always sing better when I'm alone. I think this is a cause of nerves and technique. any thoughts about what I can do about it?

Oh, don't look at my outfit. this was a special ocassion, a christmas concert smile.gif

edit: I forgot, also my attitude or posture is important I think. When I start singing I'm not so nervous anymore, but I don't know how to behave, where to look and such. I don't feel very comfortable on stage ussualy.

This post has been edited by Lester: Dec 21 2009, 08:23 AM

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Dec 28 2009, 01:17 AM
Singing Instructor
Hi Lester!

It's so sad! I couldn't see your video, i think the link is wrong... sorry unsure.gif

How about your practising? I need your second video with the assignment!

About the nerves and technique: we'll talk about that... but first... i need your second video, with you assignment

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 28 2009, 07:39 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Luciana Segovia @ Dec 28 2009, 01:17 AM) *
Hi Lester!

It's so sad! I couldn't see your video, i think the link is wrong... sorry unsure.gif

How about your practising? I need your second video with the assignment!

About the nerves and technique: we'll talk about that... but first... i need your second video, with you assignment

Hi Luciana!

I think I know why the link doesn't work:

http://www.dedeurzwolle.nl/index.php?page=...hief=Tienerkoor De Bolder

It leaves at the last two words "De Bolder" out of the link, if you type those last two words manually, it will direct to the right page.

Video 2 is coming up this evening.

This post has been edited by Lester: Dec 28 2009, 07:40 AM

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 28 2009, 11:07 PM
Learning Roadie
So, Here are the vids!

The breathing excercise:

I feel like I have difficulties keeping my voice constant, like it shivers a bit at time, a bit unstable.

And the improvisation:

The improvisation didn't went flawless yet , pitch wise, but it was getting late (and we have neighbours) so I left it at that.
Oh, those 2 in the back are my mother and my little sister, they made fun of me, without realising they were being recorded tongue.gif

Hope you like it!

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Dec 29 2009, 09:07 AM
Singing Instructor
Hi Lester!

I saw your video of concert with The Young Jesus people!!! I love the song! lovely!...Nice choir... biggrin.gif
about your voice: I feel the same thing when you show me the first song.... mellow.gif
I feel like you have a kind of coyness while singing... Im sure you have more power on that voice dry.gif , just try to relax while singing and let it flow! smile.gif
You have a god ear, so don't worry about the pitch, cause it will be fine wink.gif . Try to concentrate in singing projecting the voice towards the horizon. I think that you have to discover a sound more hotly in your voice. Without shivers...

This video is for you... ( sorry about my english) Hope it helps!

Your voice is not constant, cause you don't have a good control of your breathing...Your exhale must to be constant so the sound will be...
try to practice exercises of breathing. You need to train your diaphragm.

try to practice your assignment again with those new tips, then we'll see what will happen! wink.gif

Your next assignment is this: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...inging-lesson4/
It will be a little difference with your shivers if you practice the last assignment again and then this one.

Hope it helps, be more confidence! you have a great voice! Feel free and relax while singing ! Enjoy it!

wink.gif

Extra homework

How to breathe correctly?

Step one

Good posture:
First, stand up straight, with your feet shoulder width apart. Roll your head around to ease any tension in your neck. Then hold your head level, with your chin parallel to the ground, not tipped up or down. Let your shoulder blades slide toward the centre of your back so that they're back and down. If you do this, your chest will be open instead of collapsed, which is just what we want.
Slumping, or ever rounding your shoulders forward slightly, partly collapses the upper rib cage and keeps the muscles between the ribs from being able to expand to accommodate the lungs as they fill with air. What we are looking for is the physical ease that comes from good alignment.
Now bend your knees slightly (just relax and unlock them) and tuck your pelvis under. This slight adjustment helps ensure that the diaphragm can function at maximum capacity.

Step two

Inhale:
Put your hand on your stomach, with your middle finger or your belly button. All the action that follows should take place in the space between the base of your ribs and just below your belly button. Keeping your shoulders in that beautiful, open position, back and down, imagine that your stomach is a balloon, and as you inhale, let it fill with air. Concentrate on filling this "balloon" only. And when it's full, blow the air gently out through your mouth. Don't feel alarmed if you see only a small movement of your stomach. When you quit pushing breath in and just let it flow.
In a very short time, your inhales should be free on chest and shoulder action, and you ought to be able to inhale without stomach tension. Don't worry if you get a little light-headed at first. That's because you're bringing more air into your system than you're used to and possibly hyperventilating. This will pass, and your body will appreciate all the life-giving oxygen you're feeding it.

Step three

Exhale:
This is supposed to be the easy part, the release. As we exhale, the body is designed to allow the stomach to fall easily back to its normal position. It doesn't take muscle to exhale, just relaxation. But when we exhale, many of us use force. We tighten. We make it a hundred times harder than it's supposed to be, thinking, mistakenly, that to get the volume we want, and to hit the high notes, the best thing to do is to fire out voices out cannon.
As you exhale, keep your hand resting on your stomach, and be conscious of when your muscles tighten. You can massage your muscles softly as you exhale to remind them to relax. And if need be, as you're learning, you can also help your stomach in by pushing gently with your hand, which creates less pressure than using your abdominal muscles. Remember, the goal is not to pull anything in. Just let your stomach fall to its neutral position.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 29 2009, 07:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Luciana!

Thanks a lot for the good tips!
It helped me a lot to understand my errors.

I will get working on it and upload a new video for the breathing assignment as soon as possible.
After that I'll do the new singing lesson if that's ok.

Thank you again for the effort of making a vid!

Cheers,
Lester

*Update: When I try to sing hard my voice does get more constant, problem is my throat starts hurting as well. Will this go away by time? or is it a technique matter?

This post has been edited by Lester: Dec 29 2009, 08:36 PM

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
Dec 30 2009, 12:43 AM
Singing Instructor
Lester.. if hurts ... it's wrong!
Remember you have to add power to your voice with your diaphragm, That's why I send to you exercises of breathing...

I'll do a question for you.... when you are pushing something heavy don't you Grunt? if you do it.... do you feel that you are damaging your vocal cords?? Try it! i'm sure you don't feel anything wrong...

Or when you and your family are shopping and your little sister goes in front of you, and then you want to see something to buy so you stoped, but she don't noticed that. So you call her in loud, and tell her... COME HERE! It hurts that? Of course not!

USE YOUR DIAPHRAGM wink.gif not your Throat!... your throat can only produce notes not force.. ok?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lester
Dec 30 2009, 12:29 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Luciana Segovia @ Dec 30 2009, 12:43 AM) *
Lester.. if hurts ... it's wrong!
Remember you have to add power to your voice with your diaphragm, That's why I send to you exercises of breathing...

I'll do a question for you.... when you are pushing something heavy don't you Grunt? if you do it.... do you feel that you are damaging your vocal cords?? Try it! i'm sure you don't feel anything wrong...

Or when you and your family are shopping and your little sister goes in front of you, and then you want to see something to buy so you stoped, but she don't noticed that. So you call her in loud, and tell her... COME HERE! It hurts that? Of course not!

USE YOUR DIAPHRAGM wink.gif not your Throat!... your throat can only produce notes not force.. ok?

I don't know how to grunt, but I understand your point smile.gif

I'll try to use my diaphragm, it's kinda hard because I'm used to using my throat.
shame on me! tongue.gif

I'll let you know how it's going!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:46 PM