2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Best Possible Amp For Home Use?
Juan M. Valero
May 20 2008, 01:54 PM
Instructor
it's a difficult question. I love how easy is to get a POD conected to your PC, and if have a preamp better wink.gif

well, the most important is that you feel confortable with gear because if you enjoy it you'll play more and more

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 20 2008, 03:03 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Fran @ May 19 2008, 03:06 PM) *
Blackheart is a solid candidate. Shame I can't try one, if I order it online it will be a leap of faith, though they are cheap. EVjr seems to be the perfect amp to tweak, BUT, I don't know much about tweaking, so it's out of the list. Besides I don't think it handles metal very well, though I heard it's cleans and they are nice. Small cone too.

I wouldn't recommend the combo versions of any of the small tube amps. EVJ's is 8" and I don't think it has outs for an extension. The Blackheart combo is a 1x12 and it also has 4/8/16ohm outputs for an extension cab. Either way, being the way I am, I'd rather have the flexibility of a head and beign able to change cabs/speakers if I want.

As far as the tweakability of the EVJ, it really depends on the level you want to go to on it. You don't really have to know a lot about electronics to mess with it. There's a lot of tweaks out there that you can just follow directions on. Or buy kits. The Blackheart's a very similar design to the EVJ...there will be mods for it eventually, it just takes time. Mojo already has a turret board mod for it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Fran
May 22 2008, 01:36 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I keep researching, and I'm waiting for my local shop to give me prices for most of the amps you guys suggested.

I was shocked that they can't get me the Little Giant though, they say it's not for sale yet, but I told them I've seen it for sle in internet since a few months ago. Weird.

If I decide to get the Blackheart Little Giant I believe I'll get a separate head + cab, that way it might be more versatile in the future.

If I choose this option I'd get the head + the blackheart 112 cab or maybe the epiphone 112 cab. There was a video review someone post a few days ago and both sounded good to me.

And I wonder what kind of cable would be needed to connect them.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 22 2008, 03:06 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Fran @ May 22 2008, 02:36 PM) *
And I wonder what kind of cable would be needed to connect them.

Make sure you use a speaker cord. Not a guitar cord.

For home use I wouldn't hesitate to get a POD X3 Live. I got one already and I've got a 30W tube amp, living in a house I still prefeer the POD before the ever so sweet sounding Peavey Classic 30. I need to play way too loud to break it up. And I don't really see how you could crank a 5W tube amp in an apartment. It's still going to be loud. A Tiny Terror running on 7W is too loud, a 5W amp is just a tad lower in volume.

I know I'd get a bad conscience playing with it knowing I had neighbours. You could off course play with the volume at 2-4 but that wasn't the idea in the first place, was it?

Do yourself and your neighbours a favor and have a look at the POD! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
May 22 2008, 03:25 PM
I'll check POD X3 just in case.

The thing is I already have a pocketpod, and I wonder how much better the POD X3 gets in sound quality (I know it has a ton of other features, but what about the actual sound?)

Another thing that puts me off getting the X3 is that I would have to play using headphones, OR get a nice set of monitors to really enjoy it. If I play through my current amp I'll color the sound, and the pocketpod mght be just as good...

Doubts, doubts...

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
buttmonk
May 22 2008, 04:52 PM
Or there's:

Peavey JSX Mini Collosal (built in power attenuator, 5W), never tried but some think it is good

Vox ADVT15XL (tube + modelling hybrid, has many higher gain models but also some clean, cheap, well reviewed)

Randall RM20CB (20W, swappable tube preamps modules to get different sounds, Hemmett to May, expensive)

Yeh, does need to be cranked pretty load even on 7W setting to get something like the best out of it. The clean is fine for me, but it is "Orange clean" and it is not the same as Fender as far as I can tell (never owned a Fender but heard stuff on the net), guess I would describe it as "darker"...

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 22 2008, 09:44 PM
Instructor
You mean the Randall clean sound?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
buttmonk
May 23 2008, 07:22 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 22 2008, 11:44 PM) *
You mean the Randall clean sound?

Nay, I was talking about the Orange TT. Kinda screwed up the order of the last post. No experience of Randall amps, I was just looking into them at some point.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
May 28 2008, 03:49 PM
I see the Little Giant has a switch to toggle between 3W/5W.

Maybe 3W is ok for an apartment?

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 28 2008, 06:05 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Fran @ May 28 2008, 04:49 PM) *
I see the Little Giant has a switch to toggle between 3W/5W.

Maybe 3W is ok for an apartment?

Well I guess it would..Who would go lower than that either way..

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
May 28 2008, 06:16 PM
Well there's the Killer Ant Backheart, 1W, and it actually is quite loud too! (for 1 W)
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM08/Co...uitar-Amp-.html

I guess the Little Giant is a better choice though smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 28 2008, 07:45 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Fran @ May 28 2008, 07:16 PM) *
Well there's the Killer Ant Backheart, 1W, and it actually is quite loud too! (for 1 W)
http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM08/Co...uitar-Amp-.html

I guess the Little Giant is a better choice though smile.gif

1W, now it's getting somewhere. Have you checked out the Gilmore Jr 1/2W from Guytronix?

+Quote Post
SchecterSyn360
Jun 1 2008, 05:52 AM
Have you looked into the krank Rev. Jr ?? It's a metal machine that can also get decent clean and dirty blues style tones.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kra...-Amp?sku=481614

its a 20 watt tube head with 2 1x12 cabs

it will get you that all tube tone but also shouldn't deafen you wink.gif

and heres some various videos to check out

Metal- http://youtube.com/watch?v=vuM6-rPXQgE&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JqFdiAA9x9U&feature=related

and sadly most people who have it don't post videos of other music than metal but i have personally tried one out and know that it can get an ok variety of sounds wink.gif

just a suggestion you might not be intrested at all .... really depends in you have a favorite genre of music

another suggestion is the Line 6 Spider Valve 112

i actually own one of these and can with 100% confidence say it is extremely versatile. Its basically the sound of a Pod plugged into a tube amp. Bogner did the tube design.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lin...-Amp?sku=483066

this thing gets pretty dang loud

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oOACgeNYLZ8&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ-WKEq2yg&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-8A5mxPE1kE&feature=related

and of course none of these videos really justice to the amps tones there the only ones i could find tongue.gif

good luck wink.gif

Edit: woah just looked at the other suggestions and realized this stuff is probably WAY too loud sorry

This post has been edited by SchecterSyn360: Jun 1 2008, 05:55 AM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 1 2008, 09:44 AM
Lets go fishing!
Most of the Amps you mention wont do Hi-gain well sad.gif! I found that out the hard way. I bought a Vox AC15 all tube amp and loads of expensive pedals, cleans were great but the amp had no gain and the pedals made it sound rubbish!

The fenders, well they sound great! but there for clean too and not suited to metal.

After haveing owned a Roland 60 (great amp IMO) and a Vox AC15, I today use a Line 6 POD X3 and i love it !! It has all the tones I need. There is so much selection and you can share tones with your GMC buddys smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Fran
Jun 1 2008, 01:14 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ May 28 2008, 08:45 PM) *
1W, now it's getting somewhere. Have you checked out the Gilmore Jr 1/2W from Guytronix?

Just checked them online, seem interesting, but I guess I'd stay with 5W at least.

QUOTE (SchecterSyn360 @ Jun 1 2008, 06:52 AM) *
Have you looked into the krank Rev. Jr ?? It's a metal machine that can also get decent clean and dirty blues style tones.
its a 20 watt tube head with 2 1x12 cabs
Edit: woah just looked at the other suggestions and realized this stuff is probably WAY too loud sorry

Yup, too loud for an apartment for sure. The valve spider was one I had in mind too.

QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jun 1 2008, 10:44 AM) *
After haveing owned a Roland 60 (great amp IMO) and a Vox AC15, I today use a Line 6 POD X3 and i love it !! It has all the tones I need. There is so much selection and you can share tones with your GMC buddys smile.gif

One question Matt: how do you listen to the X3? Through headphones, monitors, or through an amp?

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 1 2008, 02:34 PM
Lets go fishing!

hi fran,
I have the X3 plugged into the back of my PC's sound card through a simple stereo cable. I have really nice Creative i-trigue speakers already on my PC, so i use those instead and it works very nicely smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:20 PM