Recording Acoustic Guitars
Crazy_Diamond
Nov 6 2009, 05:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have recorded an Acoustic guitar yesterday but I don't know how to get a good sound out of it.

The guitar was recorded with a Sure SM57 to a line 6 UX1. I have recorded the signal dry and now I am trying to play with the EQ and the effects in Logic...

I don't really know what kind of effect to use. Probably a compressor, Reverb, and EQ.

I have two track of accoustic guitar that were overdubbed and I find it hard to mix them together.

If you have any suggestion....

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 7 2009, 06:47 PM
Instructor
For acoustic guitars, dynamic microphone will not do the job properly, it will usually put out a very strange dull mid-focused expanded signal. I suggest you compress it, put the reverb and try to do some EQing to remove the harshness, but for ideal results, condenser microphone is what you need. This will pickup broader sound range that acoustic instrument is making, and probably better dynamics in general, and the more richer sound you have, it's easier to later remove what you don't need in the mix.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Nov 7 2009, 06:47 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 7 2009, 10:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
I will say at least two microphones, three would be even better. One for the soundhole, one in distance and one for the bridge, but as Ivan says here, condenser-microphones is preferrable. Then just add some reverb, and maybe a little compression and EQ.

//staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Nov 8 2009, 08:08 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks guys ...

This is already what I have try to do so far.... I think I can't get a better sound that what I already have with a dyamic microphone.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Nov 8 2009, 09:25 AM
Instructor
Dynamic mic needs a lot of pressure on its membrane to produce a sound, so it is not so appropriate for low volume instruments, rather for amps or some loud acoustic instruments like trumpets.

On the another side, condenser mic has more sensitive membrane and can record even a whisper, or a background noise, and it is great for acoustic guitars, but you need to have a well isolated and acoustically treated room to get good results.

I can suggest you one thing, if your acoustic guitar has a solid wood top, to try some transducers. I use "Belcat EGT 202 double transducer", and I am quite pleased with them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Nov 8 2009, 11:16 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
An SM 57 is for sure not the ideal mic for recording acustic guitars. If you can get a different mic, experiment a bit with the position of the microphone, this makes a huge difference in the sound. I like it when the mic is pointing towards the sound hole in a slight angle, but as I said, try to experiment a bit.
If you only have this sm 57, but your guitar is equiped with a pickup, you could try using that one too and forget about the microphone, some guitars sound really good like that, specially if you can do some finetuning in Logic. I recorded my Harvest of Sorrow lessons like that for example, I just plugged my J45 straight into the m-box, recorded it in pro tools and only added some reverb later.
Other possible effects would be a compressor of course or some nice chorus, but thats a matter of taste.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 8 2009, 11:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
...and not to forget, the guitar itself! With thicker strings, You will get a much richer sound. Also, most of the recordings with acoustic in pop/rock genre are made with a lot of overdubs, maybe up to 4-6 for the same part.... And the place where You recording the guitar is also very important (especially if You use condenser microphones), if You are recording in a bathroom it gonna sound like a bathroom. Preferrable would be a larger room (in my taste) or even an aula/church in contrast to a "dead" room like one in the studios.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Nov 9 2009, 12:02 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ Nov 8 2009, 03:25 AM) *
I can suggest you one thing, if your acoustic guitar has a solid wood top, to try some transducers. I use "Belcat EGT 202 double transducer", and I am quite pleased with them smile.gif

My guitar top is called solid spruce. I never heard of that it could be great to look at

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Nov 8 2009, 05:16 AM) *
If you only have this sm 57, but your guitar is equiped with a pickup, you could try using that one too and forget about the microphone, some guitars sound really good like that, specially if you can do some finetuning in Logic. I recorded my Harvest of Sorrow lessons like that for example, I just plugged my J45 straight into the m-box, recorded it in pro tools and only added some reverb later.
Other possible effects would be a compressor of course or some nice chorus, but thats a matter of taste.

I haven't got any good result with the pickup but I am sure that by cutting some frequency I can get a better sound. As for the mic placement I put it about a feet from the 14th fret (where the neck meet the body). The mic point slightly towards the sound ho and a bit over the neck. Maybe I could get a mix of both.

QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 8 2009, 05:35 AM) *
...and not to forget, the guitar itself! With thicker strings, You will get a much richer sound. Also, most of the recordings with acoustic in pop/rock genre are made with a lot of overdubs, maybe up to 4-6 for the same part.... And the place where You recording the guitar is also very important (especially if You use condenser microphones), if You are recording in a bathroom it gonna sound like a bathroom. Preferrable would be a larger room (in my taste) or even an aula/church in contrast to a "dead" room like one in the studios.

//Staffay

I know about the dubbing part... but when I adds some track I feel more like I have a chorus effect then the sound I am trying to reach .....

Thanks for the answers guys I think I will continue my test. Recording is more complicated then what I taught ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Nov 10 2009, 11:15 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Of course mixing the pickup sound with the recorded sound form the mic can lead to a nice result too, try to experiment a bit with that. And I would move the mic a bit closer to the sound hole.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Gus
Nov 10 2009, 04:32 PM
GMC:er
Yep, I bought a condenser mic for singing (so that I don't have to sing too close to the mic while playing guitar), but I was impressed about recording acoustic guitar with it. It's amazing the difference in this case.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:19 PM