Practicing Ap Cleanly
Brandon Earman
Oct 30 2010, 12:17 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey GMC. I have been playing guitar for many years but only a year or two ago have I started playing "seriously." Here a few months ago I started really focusing on alternate picking technique. I would always practice using on my computer using my Pod GX, most of the time on a clean preset(maybe a compressor but nothing else). Sometimes I would practice 3nps on a distorted Satriani sound or something.

However here lately, after really analyzing my technique and finding that it was formed with bad habits over the years, I decided to start from scratch again. I was also noticing that when I played into my amp (instead of Pod GX), it was much more responsive and I felt like I couldn't pick as fast and accurately for some reason. It was really bringing out my flaws when on a clean setting.

So now I have been playing straight into my tiny Marshall practice amp with no effects (just a metronome), working on proper AP technique. I must say it's frustrating, when I thought I was a lot further than this with my guitar playing. However it's paying off, slowly but surely. I am wanting the most clean and precise technique possible.

Has anyone else had to backtrack like this? Or noticed any difference in playing into your computer (VST) and through amps as far as responsiveness/speed?

Sorry for the long post. Any thoughts are welcome.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 30 2010, 12:57 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Brandon Earman @ Oct 29 2010, 04:17 PM) *
Hey GMC. I have been playing guitar for many years but only a year or two ago have I started playing "seriously." Here a few months ago I started really focusing on alternate picking technique. I would always practice using on my computer using my Pod GX, most of the time on a clean preset(maybe a compressor but nothing else). Sometimes I would practice 3nps on a distorted Satriani sound or something.

However here lately, after really analyzing my technique and finding that it was formed with bad habits over the years, I decided to start from scratch again. I was also noticing that when I played into my amp (instead of Pod GX), it was much more responsive and I felt like I couldn't pick as fast and accurately for some reason. It was really bringing out my flaws when on a clean setting.

So now I have been playing straight into my tiny Marshall practice amp with no effects (just a metronome), working on proper AP technique. I must say it's frustrating, when I thought I was a lot further than this with my guitar playing. However it's paying off, slowly but surely. I am wanting the most clean and precise technique possible.

Has anyone else had to backtrack like this? Or noticed any difference in playing into your computer (VST) and through amps as far as responsiveness/speed?

Sorry for the long post. Any thoughts are welcome.

Yep. It's natural to go thru swings like this and have to back track. The fact that you can hear it is good. If I find that I'm getting sloppy, instead of AP a full range of strings, I'll concentrate on just 2 strings (6 notes) up and down at a constant speed, concentrating on clarity for a while, then I'll bump the metrinome for a while longer.

Something else that I've been doing (that I think gets overlooked, because I rarely hear anyone mention it on forums) is doing your pentatonic (2 note per string) AP patterns swiftly to a metrinome as well. There's a huge difference in terms of shifting string frequency with 2 note per string AP, so I tend to spend my warm up time working on those first - it helps my 3 note per string AP quite a bit. But everyone is different. Because it's 2 picks (down, up) per string, you'll end up hitting a down stroke for every string transition, so you should work on beginning with an upstroke every now and again for balance, IMO.

I'll leave the VST lag for the more knowledgeable.

Patience and perseverance,
Christian A.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 30 2010, 05:12 AM
GMC:er
Hey Brandon smile.gif Todd here. I saw your post and I wanted to point you to my "Alternate Picking Tips and Tricks" Thread.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35307

Also, my lesson series here has focused as you know a LOT on AP. Take a look at the lesson notes/tabs/vids and see if there are any you've missed that look like fun. Almost all of them will help your AP technique.

ALTERNATE PICKING LESSON NOTES WITH TABS

Hope this helps wink.gif Let me know if you have any questions! See you Sat @ 5PM for more Alternate Picking work in the Chat Room!

Todd

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 30 2010, 05:46 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 29 2010, 09:12 PM) *
Hey Brandon smile.gif Todd here. I saw your post and I wanted to point you to my "Alternate Picking Tips and Tricks" Thread.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=35307

Also, my lesson series here has focused as you know a LOT on AP. Take a look at the lesson notes/tabs/vids and see if there are any you've missed that look like fun. Almost all of them will help your AP technique.

ALTERNATE PICKING LESSON NOTES WITH TABS

Hope this helps wink.gif Let me know if you have any questions! See you Sat @ 5PM for more Alternate Picking work in the Chat Room!

Todd

might want to add your timezone to this.
http://www.timetemperature.com/tzga/atlanta.shtml

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Oct 30 2010, 10:46 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
When I practice on my amp and than play on the Line6 Toneport, I find the tone bit better (because all the good effects, and I have just a Roland 15-Cube+Morley PowerWah otherwise) but playing is more less the same. But when I play only on Toneport for few weeks I can notice that it sounds worse when I play on the amp.

Also as I aim more to playing good with distortion, I rarely practice without it. In fact I make it as distorted/gained as I can, because if I can control the sound with so much distortion it will be much easier when I have less of it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dark dude
Oct 30 2010, 11:49 AM
As far as the GX goes, I also find that it covers my mistakes a bit. Prefer the amp.

+Quote Post
Mate Nagy
Oct 30 2010, 01:09 PM
Dude,
The main thing is to start to practice every phrase on slow tempos and try to focus on perfect cleanness.
Then if you nail it on that particular slow tempo, set the metronome 2 bpm faster and do that again etc. . . .

Let me offer you Zsolt Galambos' Modal Madness Series which summarize well a lot of AP techniques.:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/modal-madness/

I have a series in progress too which covers this topic. One of those lessons is live now:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Killer...kk-Wylde-Style/

Slow tempo, cleanness and patience is needed to develope even and accurate alternate picking . . .

Cheers, Have fun !

This post has been edited by Mate Nagy: Oct 30 2010, 01:09 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:36 AM