Prs Se Custom 24, Differences between models
Deleted
Apr 14 2014, 08:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'd like to buy a PRS SE Custom 24, but I'm not really sure about the difference between those two models:

http://www.thomann.de/it/prs_se_custom_24_pbq_ltd.htm

http://www.thomann.de/it/prs_se_custom_24_pb_60th_ann.htm

Could you help me understanding which are the differences?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
SpaseMoonkey
Apr 14 2014, 11:21 PM
GMC:er
Going by the specs and taking off the commons this is whats left. My guess is better pickups maybe?
If this really the case, try them both if possible if they sound the same to you take the cheaper one.
Because you can always change the pickups in the end.

PRS SE Custom 24 PBQ LTD,
rosewood fretboard,
1x PRS SE HFS Treble humbucker pickup,
1x PRS SE Vintage Bass pickup,

PRS SE Custom 24 PB 60th Anniversary,
ebony fretboard,
2x black PRS SE HFS humbucker with black humbucker frames,

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 16 2014, 03:17 PM
Instructor
This could be an approach smile.gif But what I would always suggest, is to go try the guitars and pick up the one you like most!

You can't really judge an instrument until you have played it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 17 2014, 09:06 AM
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Apr 14 2014, 06:21 PM) *
Going by the specs and taking off the commons this is whats left. My guess is better pickups maybe?
If this really the case, try them both if possible if they sound the same to you take the cheaper one.
Because you can always change the pickups in the end.

PRS SE Custom 24 PBQ LTD,
rosewood fretboard,
1x PRS SE HFS Treble humbucker pickup,
1x PRS SE Vintage Bass pickup,

PRS SE Custom 24 PB 60th Anniversary,
ebony fretboard,
2x black PRS SE HFS humbucker with black humbucker frames,

I wonder what or if there is any difference in the "SE" HFS Treble and Vinatge Bass pickups from the pickups of the same name without the "SE" in front of them.

I thoroughly love the stock pickups that came in my Custom 22 and Standard 24 PRS's which are the HFS and Vintage - but they are not called SE HFS and Vintage.

If there is no difference in the the pickups, I would highly recommend that one because of the vintage bass pup on the neck. Each of those pickups (if SE doesn't mean anything in front of the name) cost around $120-$125 each in the U.S. - I saw a set yesterday with wiring for $250 - $330 - and they say vintage instead of "SE". I found this thread on PRS pickups: http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php...-over-the-years

At first glance it looks like the 60 Anniversary model has (2) treble humbuckers (it says with frames - but both look like they have the frames) and it is a little weird to me, to put the same hot pickups in the neck and the bridge.

Aside from that, I do love the purple burst on the headstock of the 60th Anniversary model - but the ebony fretboard I may not be able to get over, you know what you're getting with Rosewood, I wonder if ebony and pickup selection were a way to keep price down - because I would imagine the purple burst headstock would add a dash of desirability and uniqueness to the guitar which of course, ends up on the price tag.

All that said, you can always change out the pickups, i'm sure both guitars feel great to play, so I would go with the one you like the looks of better. I think I would get the 60th Anniversary, and later down the road switch out the neck pickup for a PRS Vintage bass. It appears the difference in price being 88 looks to be in line with a difference in price on pickups selection too.

My guess would be adding "SE" to the name of the pickups just means they moved production to India with the same specifications.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 17 2014, 09:19 AM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 17 2014, 05:39 PM
It seems that the PRS SE Custom 24 PBQ LTD has the SE HFS in the Bridge and an SE Vintage in the neck whilst the PRS SE Custom 24 PB 60th Ann has 2 of the SE HFS. I would suggest that the difference in price is due to the LTD being a Limited run. I've been trying to find out how many are being produced but so far haven't been able to.
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 18 2014, 10:59 AM
Instructor
What's the maximum price limit for your acquisition? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 18 2014, 04:04 PM
I anxious to see which one you choose.

+Quote Post
Deleted
Apr 18 2014, 08:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
I got the first one, from a cheaper local seller, paid 670€. Man, this is a manly guitar. ohmy.gif
It has a fantastic '90 clean brillian sound, solid distort when you switch to hambuckers (one tone wheel is a push/pull button to switch between single coil and hambucker), it's gorgeous and is very robust. It has also a very thin and fast neck.
I'm very proud of my purchase. I will surely go PRS all life long.

P.S. The purple burst colour is awesome, but the seller wanted a 80€ addition to order that color.

Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image

This post has been edited by Deleted: Apr 19 2014, 11:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 19 2014, 03:19 PM
Instructor
Congrats on the purchase man! I think it's only a local policy as the price on both models is the same in here, at our PRS dealer. He probably wanted to make sure you will order it so that's why he asked for that extra cash. But all in all, it's a no no!

Welcome to the PRS family! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 19 2014, 03:36 PM
Instructor
Congratulations!! It looks like a very nice guitar. I have played on these ones and they are as you described yours. I hope to see some REC takes with this guitar. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Deleted
Apr 19 2014, 07:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
I recorded Time with the new guitar smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 19 2014, 07:59 PM
Great tone and beautiful guitar. At first I couldn't tell the difference in the recording and your overdubbing.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 19 2014, 08:02 PM
Congratulations mate!! Great purchase and sounds great too!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 20 2014, 08:13 PM
Instructor
Sweet! Welcome to the family, fellow PRS user biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:48 PM