How To Learn Any Song By Ear, Mr Beato
Phil66
Feb 19 2021, 09:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I found this video very very interesting even though I didn't understand all of it.

It made me want to work on understanding the circle of fifths and ear training. The problem is, I've never found anything that teaches the subject in an enjoyable way in bite-sized chunks that don't take up a lot of practise time.

Do any of you work on your ear and basic theory? If so, what do you do? I always find that theory, in any subject, is best learned in a way that is applicable to the things you are currently working on, it seems to make it sink in more.

I know there is a big theory section here at GMC but look how inactive it is, it shows that many people steer clear of theory. For me, just reading about theory without application isn't enough. Maybe GMC could have a boxset of lessons made up of small chunks covering the basics of theory while learning some simple chord progressions and maybe simple solos. Nothing needs to be technically difficult on the technique side of things, just enough to demonstrate the theory in an enjoyable way. Even songs like Row Row Row Your Boat wit a simple solo in it would suffice.

What do you all think?

https://youtu.be/bFtTvqASQ9k

Cheers

Stay safe people.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Timmez
Feb 19 2021, 09:48 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Phil.

Nice topic. I think there are a lot of guys who Dont learn theory or get afraid of it. I also think some People can really play very good on ear. But i think if you learn theory next to it its more better. The last 2 years i studie a lot of theory and it help me a lot in writing but also understabding music.
For instance if you want to learn a song by ear and you know how the major scale is harmonized. You can listen to the bass line and figure out the chords. Then if the progression is diatonic you also know which chords are major and minor.

Also with the modes it really helps me a lot. Before i knew the patterns but had know idea how to use it. Till i knew the scales in intervals and which chords you can spell out of the modes. Then you also know the characteristic tones.

I cant speak for other but for myself i can really say it helpend me and still helps and also to figure things out by ear.

Greetz tim

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by tflava: Feb 19 2021, 09:49 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2021, 03:31 PM
Instructor
Great topic! I love Rick Beato's videos!

I understand what you mean Phil. We are experimenting and working on a new type/format of lessons to cover this type of topics. This is the first one that I did.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/How-to...onize-a-melody/

I would really appreciate if you have any feedback about it.

Regarding learning theory. I also prefer to learn things that I can instantly apply to music but there are some basic concepts that we need to incorporate in order to be able to learn the more "musical" or advanced stuff.

There are lots of theory books. One of my favorites is in Spanish and it's called "Armonía Funcional" by Claudio Gabis. However, I also got this book in the past and I loved its easy and modern approach: Harmony and Theory: A Comprehensive Source for All Musicians (Essential Concepts).

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 22 2021, 09:56 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 22 2021, 02:31 PM) *

I understand what you mean Phil. We are experimenting and working on a new type/format of lessons to cover this type of topics. This is the first one that I did.

Regarding learning theory. I also prefer to learn things that I can instantly apply to music but there are some basic concepts that we need to incorporate in order to be able to learn the more "musical" or advanced stuff.

There are lots of theory books. One of my favorites is in Spanish and it's called "Armonía Funcional" by Claudio Gabis. However, I also got this book in the past and I loved its easy and modern approach: Harmony and Theory: A Comprehensive Source for All Musicians (Essential Concepts).

That's a great lesson Gab, at first I was a little confused as to why a "third" on those examples was spanned four semitones then I did some Googling and found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_third so a major third is three staff positions, but then you get a minor third that spans three semitones and two staff positions. I know I over think these things but it messes with my head BUT HAVING SAID THAT, I think that if that lesson had a little bit of an explanation like the wiki one, which is just enough information to absorb, (for me anyway) it would be great. GMC definitely needs more of those, and covering chords and how they are made up.

Thanks for that Gab, I'm also going to order that "Harmony and Theory" book wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2021, 10:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 22 2021, 05:56 PM) *
That's a great lesson Gab, at first I was a little confused as to why a "third" on those examples was spanned four semitones then I did some Googling and found this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_third so a major third is three staff positions, but then you get a minor third that spans three semitones and two staff positions. I know I over think these things but it messes with my head BUT HAVING SAID THAT, I think that if that lesson had a little bit of an explanation like the wiki one, which is just enough information to absorb, (for me anyway) it would be great. GMC definitely needs more of those, and covering chords and how they are made up.

Thanks for that Gab, I'm also going to order that "Harmony and Theory" book wink.gif

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, we are trying to keep it the simplest possible so beginners and even people who don't speak English can get the idea and apply it soon.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 22 2021, 11:04 PM
Thanks Gab,

I'm looking forward to more. I got the book too. I got it on Kindle but if the diagrams don't come across very good I'll get the physical book.

Cheers

Stay safe

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2021, 11:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 22 2021, 07:04 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

I'm looking forward to more. I got the book too. I got it on Kindle but if the diagrams don't come across very good I'll get the physical book.

Cheers

Stay safe

Excellent! We can get into the book at the mentoring program! Just read the introduction and you'll see how it takes a score as a story.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 23 2021, 10:10 AM
I've just started to read it in my morning tea break at work. It seems like it might be daunting having to read music but I liked it when I read, "Many times, a complicated idea will quickly make sense when you hear it connected to a familiar sound"

I suppose, even if I can't read music I will gain some understanding.

Cheers and thanks for the recommendation.

Stay safe.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 23 2021, 02:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 23 2021, 06:10 AM) *
I've just started to read it in my morning tea break at work. It seems like it might be daunting having to read music but I liked it when I read, "Many times, a complicated idea will quickly make sense when you hear it connected to a familiar sound"

I suppose, even if I can't read music I will gain some understanding.

Cheers and thanks for the recommendation.

Stay safe.

Yeah! Even if you are not interested in sight-reading music, knowing the language can be a good help to understand music and improve your overall playing. Again, let me know if you need any help or if you have questions once you reach more advanced sections.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Feb 23 2021, 02:09 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 22 2021, 02:31 PM) *

Hi Gabriel, nice idea to create this type of lessons.
I would like if it's possible to create some lessons based on the idea of creating power chords for lead guitar and how theory applies there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 23 2021, 02:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Victor Simion @ Feb 23 2021, 10:09 AM) *
Hi Gabriel, nice idea to create this type of lessons.
I would like if it's possible to create some lessons based on the idea of creating power chords for lead guitar and how theory applies there.

Cool! Thanks for the request Victor! I've decided to open a thread to receive more requests.

I've opened a thread for requests:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=61737

Please keep on sharing ideas there! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:07 PM