3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Kristofer Dahl - Real Men Don't Fight, New song!
The Uncreator
Aug 19 2009, 11:37 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Actually reminds me of Megadeth more than it does Metallica, Especially the spoken style parts. Riffs are great, your vocals are getting extremely good and well tones and the solo is wicked. Awesome job as always Kris!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Aug 20 2009, 12:49 AM
Instructor
Wow ,great song Kris smile.gif !!
I once tried to sing in such a way! After that I couldn't speak two days !!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Aug 20 2009, 01:26 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Kris - that sounded GREAT!!! Did you use your strat for this one?

Also, towards the end, after the spoken word part when there is the pause...then it kicks in again - I expected that part to be a faster tempo then the rest of the song. Kind of give it a killer and strong ending. Who knows...maybe it would ruin it, but I think it might sound cool!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 20 2009, 08:45 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Aug 19 2009, 06:05 PM) *
I like it. Very powerful. Reminds me of old Metallica - Kill em all smile.gif

My thoughts exactly ! And as Metallica are awsome, no bad thing biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 20 2009, 09:49 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Aug 20 2009, 12:37 AM) *
Actually reminds me of Megadeth more than it does Metallica, Especially the spoken style parts. Riffs are great, your vocals are getting extremely good and well tones and the solo is wicked. Awesome job as always Kris!

Thanks for the awesome comment Brett - both of us are making songwriting progress then! smile.gif

QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Aug 20 2009, 01:49 AM) *
Wow ,great song Kris smile.gif !!
I once tried to sing in such a way! After that I couldn't speak two days !!

hehe I know what you mean - my poor throat has endured a lot unsure.gif

QUOTE (Praetorian @ Aug 20 2009, 02:26 AM) *
Kris - that sounded GREAT!!! Did you use your strat for this one?

Also, towards the end, after the spoken word part when there is the pause...then it kicks in again - I expected that part to be a faster tempo then the rest of the song. Kind of give it a killer and strong ending. Who knows...maybe it would ruin it, but I think it might sound cool!

I used my Ibanez RG with Emg81.

Man now that you say it I am starting to think I should have made a change in key for the last chorus...! dry.gif Oh well that will be for next song! (these things always strike you too late)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Aug 20 2009, 09:59 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Just great:) But I would really say its simmiliar to mettallica - more of rammstein style.

Just listen to this, its the same style -

EDIT:great solo there btw.

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Aug 20 2009, 10:00 AM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 20 2009, 11:11 AM
Learning Rock Star
I like it!
I'm not that fan of Metallica, and since I like this, I have to say it sounds more like something out of a Kristofer Dahl CD tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 20 2009, 01:46 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Aug 20 2009, 10:59 AM) *
Just great:) But I would really say its simmiliar to mettallica - more of rammstein style.

Just listen to this, its the same style -
EDIT:great solo there btw.

Thanks - yes you are right, there is definitely a little bit Buck Dich in the intro riff! Their lyrics are more provocative than mine though (depending on who you ask I guess)

QUOTE (Canis @ Aug 20 2009, 12:11 PM) *
I like it!
I'm not that fan of Metallica, and since I like this, I have to say it sounds more like something out of a Kristofer Dahl CD tongue.gif

hehe thanks Canis!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sergio Dorado
Aug 20 2009, 02:42 PM
Flamenco Instructor
In my speakers the theme sounds really great, so there are two options:

-Or my speakers are very good
-Or its´s a cool piece super well recorded

I think it´s the second option.

However in my opinion the rythmics sounds a little up in the solo, I think the solo guitar must be turn up the volume ( a bit) for emphasize it.

Well these last months I have learned how hard it is to complete something when

You have got a baby in the house

Sure! I have two little daughters and is almost impossible to record anything, unless they are sleeping or watching an animation movie biggrin.gif

What programm have you used for drums?

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 20 2009, 04:34 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Sergio Dorado @ Aug 20 2009, 03:42 PM) *
In my speakers the theme sounds really great, so there are two options:

-Or my speakers are very good
-Or its´s a cool piece super well recorded

I think it´s the second option.

However in my opinion the rythmics sounds a little up in the solo, I think the solo guitar must be turn up the volume ( a bit) for emphasize it.

Very true - I hear it now that you say it, I will fix a new mix and adjust the solo part!

What programm have you used for drums?

I use EZ drummer with the standard kit - to get more "metal power" out of it I have also dubbed snare and kick with a heavy drum set sample.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Aug 20 2009, 07:34 PM
Instructor
Awesome song! smile.gif
The production has really stepped up too on this one. The guitars have more depth and bassy frequencies. Not as trebly and bright as previous songs.

One distraction caught my ear though.. the cymbal that sometimes gets fully muted sounded a bit random to me. It's a very minor thing to point out though smile.gif

Oh, solo was indeed a bit low on volume. But the actual tone was great.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Aug 20 2009, 07:35 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 20 2009, 07:35 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Aug 19 2009, 09:18 PM) *
How dare you utter negative words of our administrationator ?! Thou shalt be hanged ! xD

I'm sorry Alex, I'll hang my guitar! laugh.gif or not wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 21 2009, 05:46 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ Aug 20 2009, 08:34 PM) *
Awesome song! smile.gif
The production has really stepped up too on this one. The guitars have more depth and bassy frequencies. Not as trebly and bright as previous songs.

One distraction caught my ear though.. the cymbal that sometimes gets fully muted sounded a bit random to me. It's a very minor thing to point out though smile.gif

Oh, solo was indeed a bit low on volume. But the actual tone was great.

Your comments are always very helpful - thanks a lot Trond! I am fixing a new mix now. (I am not really sure why there sometimes is a muted cymbal on the verses - I am suspecting it might be the EZ drummer humanize function playing tricks with me)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2009, 07:04 PM
Instructor
Amazing song Kris! I love your music style! I can say that you have a unique style which is very important and difficult to achieve! Keep on rocking!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 21 2009, 07:59 PM
Instructor
Hmm the reason for muted cymbal could be some frequencies clashing here and there, but I'm not really sure.

Kris, was the Marshall amp used with this setup? I'm a big fan of Marshalls, could you give us some details about it and the recording setup, would mean a lot. Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Aug 21 2009, 08:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
At first I didn't really like this song, but the interesting vocals made me return again and again. Great song, reminds me a lot about Megadeth smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 21 2009, 08:27 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 21 2009, 08:04 PM) *
Amazing song Kris! I love your music style! I can say that you have a unique style which is very important and difficult to achieve! Keep on rocking!

Thanks Gabriel - I'll have to say the same about you! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 21 2009, 08:28 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 19 2009, 06:19 PM) *
Argh - hope to get it fixed!

Thanks anyway! biggrin.gif

edit - I looked it up and it seems "combat" can be used as a verb (well according to Google Translate at least! blink.gif )

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 19 2009, 07:07 PM) *
Yes combat can be used as verb I've heard that in use several times.

Well, strictly speaking you can 'do Combat with' or 'be in Combat with'.
I couldn't walk up to you and Combat you!!
I could walk up to you and do Combat with you!!!
smile.gif smile.gif

Not that I'd want to Combat with either of you!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 21 2009, 08:36 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 21 2009, 08:59 PM) *
Kris, was the Marshall amp used with this setup? I'm a big fan of Marshalls, could you give us some details about it and the recording setup, would mean a lot. Thanks! smile.gif

It's a Marshall JCM 800 - modified with some kind of standard kit to make it sound Mesa Boogie'ish (I am not 100% sure about this - I didn't do it myself).

I recorded it using an Ibanez RG / Emg81 with an sm57 - three dubs in total. For each dub I also recorded a clean signal - two of these triggered Guitar Rig 3 ( I used their heaviest amp).

The solo is recorded with my strat and my peavey triple X amp (I didn't have the time to dial in a good solo sound on the marshall - so I just took my usual chain which I use with my practice amp: strat + tubescreamer + delay pedal + peavey triple X amp + red box to the computer)

QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Aug 21 2009, 09:09 PM) *
At first I didn't really like this song, but the interesting vocals made me return again and again. Great song, reminds me a lot about Megadeth smile.gif

That's really cool to hear - when I listen to it now it feels more like a rhythmic anger statement rather than a melodic metal tune. Maybe it's supposed to just hit you in the face the first time... ph34r.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Aug 21 2009, 09:28 PM) *
Not that I'd want to Combat with either of you!!!
laugh.gif laugh.gif

Let's not combat about it...not even with words!! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sigma7
Aug 21 2009, 08:48 PM
GMC:er
i definitely agree with the buck dich style ... great tune man, very awesome!

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:41 AM