Guitar Player Etiquette
RIP Dime
Dec 17 2006, 02:52 PM
GMC:er
I know you guys don't need it, because this is the most friendly guitar forum I've ever been on(everybody is cool!), biggrin.gif but lets face it most guitar forums are brutal, and there are alot of guitar players who are assholes, and this is an interesting read.
http://insaneguitar.com/col/joel/Joel11.html

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 17 2006, 10:02 PM
GMC Founder
Yes this interesting - I never understod why guitar forums look like they do... My guess would be that it's some kind of rock 'n roll attitude that rules - the more people you can insult the cooler you are.

I think people are cool when they can proove their point with good language and solid arguments - or maybe even some kind of recording.

As I said - it's an interesting topic - and I would like to hear what other people think about it...?

Kris smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
Dec 18 2006, 01:12 AM
Well i have only ever used this forum, and have to say its been very helpfull. We all have the same interests and sharing the knowlage worldwide is great. I remember the days before mobile phones and the internet. How slow learning was back then. Forums and websites are now invaluble and they have opened up alot of information and knowlage for everyone so it can only be good for all of us. I mean what would be all do without this site? we'd still be having over priced lessons with tutors, some good some bad. reading magazines and books and probebly learing very slowly. If you had a problem or you were stuck on something you now can more or less get an answer within an hour! That is progress beond belief!
to quote guy ranting off on that link that rip dime has put in this thread "In other words, don't call me a hypocritical prick" well he is! ranting off about people egos, man he sould not take it so serious. We are all here to learn , yeah you do get some idiots (some prob kids) but i dont know what id do without forums and sites like this.
hope this makes sense as its late iv just got in from a 200 mile drive and am on the whisky! lol

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Dec 18 2006, 02:15 AM
As I said, this is the only guitar forum I've seen where noone is is a jerk, and everyone is polite and helpful. But alot of guitar forums are overly critical, and it seems like there is an ongoing insult competition(not all guitar forums, but alot of them).
Personally, I think the guy in the article I posted hit the nail on the head.
Ego: I thought he was right on this one, having self confidence is important, it can get you past those lows that everyone experiences. And yes, there are guitarists who think they are the best guitar player in the world. But being respectful, polite, humble, and confident are great characteristics to have(if you don't want to be a jerk). It's common courtesy, but I know some people just don't care if they are a jerk or not.
Talk vs Walk: I think it's pretty important to not to criticize someone unless it's constructive, it helps them, and most of the time, they'll return the favor if you ever ask for some help! I've seen way to many people just say, "You suck noob", wow that's a constructive statement. rolleyes.gif And I hate it when people insult someone better than them, that's just sad.
Hate Mail, IMO is just dumb, if you don't like someone, don't talk to them, don't listen to their music, just don't associate yourself with them. Hate Mail is so sad, because people are E-Mailing you insults, even when the person knows nothing about you, it's like someone sending you a letter that says you suck, you just throw it away, I don't know why people do it, I don't take them seriously at all.
Guitar Forums: I don't know why everyone on forums think they have to criticize great players to fit in, or all other players for that matter, I too have seen every great guitarist ever insulted, I can't believe people insult an electric guitar pioneer like Jimi Hendrix blink.gif ! It's kind of annoying, but if you realise that ultimately, what they post in forums doesn't really matter in real life. But it's not just guitar forums, it's music forums too, why people think it's cool to be a jerk in forums is beyond me, maybe because they get teased and picked on in real life, have feelings of inadequacy, don't have enough confidence in real life to insult people in real life...who knows?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 18 2006, 08:19 AM
GMC Founder
I've seen way to many people just say, "You suck noob", wow that's a constructive statement.

blink.gif Yes that ("you suck noob") is a fantastically irrelevant statement - I doubt if it even makes the antagoniser laugh.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BollyRotten
Dec 18 2006, 10:08 AM
I think maybe i should read that link again, as maybe i took it the wrong way. It was late and i'd been drinking. Whoops lol.

--------------------
I need more fingers!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:10 AM