Overlooked Bit Of Rack Gear, Best $100 bux you can spend :)
Todd Simpson
Dec 25 2016, 07:50 AM
GMC:er
If you are just starting out with multi fx and are buried under the array of choices. Let me give you an idea. There is an older unit from DIGITECH called the VALVE FX. When they pop up on ebay they run about $100. Which is pretty darn cheap considering it's a full amp modeller with fx. It's an older unit so it's NOT and AXE FX but for $100, you just can't beat it. I had one and sold it to a student in need as I already had my 11 rack which is three times the price.

Here is a recent listing on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digitech-Valve-FX-...=p2047675.l2557

Here are some demo vids. Please forgive the CRAP audio from the Camera Mic ( Major Sin) use a real mic guys. They are just not that expensive. Put a SM57 on you cab and run it direct to the camera if you have to and convert xlr down to 1/8th inch and just ram it in the input of the camera, bam. Anyhoo. Here is a demo. It's got wads of fx and a tube in in it, about $100

If you are willing to spend $200, then you can get about twice the power of the first unit as the next step up has TWO S DISC units instead of one found in the first unit. It's called the DIGITECH 212O ARTIST Here is a demo of a guy doing his thing. It's an older vid as it's vintage gear. But for $200, can't beat it. Also has a tube in it. IT's the purple rack unit.

If you are willing to spend $300, then you can reach the promised land of the Avid Eleven Rack. It's been discontinued by AVid but they still make updated drivers and it's a recording interface with quarter inch and xlr inputs. Not to mention it's the only one of these that has a software editor so you can use your mouse to click and drag new tones which is quite handy. I love mine. Here is a demo where you hear a version of the 2120 called the 2101 as it's meant mostly for studio use and typically only comes with one S disc for processing. Which means you can run out of room when building a thick patch. The right channel is the 11 Rack. I must say though, the 2101 holds up!

I've owned the valve fx and the 2112 upgraded to the 2120 Digitech artist. Both were fine units but I kept the 11 Rack. It's just the best bang for the buck around these days. But if you don't have the budget, either of the first two will get you on your way!!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 25 2016, 07:51 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 26 2016, 03:23 PM
My old digitech rp12 is connected to the soundcard right now smile.gif

I actually forgot it had a cab. sim. in it and works fine for me, the grunge dist. was my fav. at the time and even today its really close to my boss mt2 and got to say I'm using the mt2 just for the eq's compared to it.

I was surprised that most of the modulations was almost on par with the boss gt-1 I reviews recently but if the converters were 24 bit I'm sure no one would hear a difference.

The eq'ing is so strong just like on computer I'm not using any amp smile.gif dist. from pedals and rest (cab., delay, eq etc.) from the rp12 and happy right now.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 26 2016, 11:10 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Justr added this one to the wiki:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ling/Processors

Let me know if you need anything added/changed, or just jump in and edit yourselves! smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 27 2016, 04:17 AM
Many thanks for the add btw!!! I referenced those units as I've owned each one. I've yet to get an RP so maybe Mertay could add a bit about it to the wiki?

Todd

QUOTE (Fran @ Dec 26 2016, 06:10 PM) *
Justr added this one to the wiki:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ling/Processors

Let me know if you need anything added/changed, or just jump in and edit yourselves! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 29 2016, 07:11 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 27 2016, 03:17 AM) *
Many thanks for the add btw!!! I referenced those units as I've owned each one. I've yet to get an RP so maybe Mertay could add a bit about it to the wiki?

Todd

Not sure if its worth it to be honest smile.gif as these are floor processors, after 20 years I wouldn't expect them to be in working condition biggrin.gif

Almost all footswitches on mine are dead+few buttons. I'm lucky that the really needed buttons atleast for now are working but I don't know for how long biggrin.gif thats why I wouldn't suggest anyone to buy one of these unless they get it for almost free or something...

For newer affordable solutions, I suggest friends to check the zoom g1on or ms50g although I haven't had quality time with these yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 1 2017, 12:07 AM
As far as VINTAGE DIGITECH solutions, I can still heartily suggest the GNX1, GNX2, and especially the GNX3 which sounds just great even to this day and that unit is ANCIENT!!!! Full pedal board, wah/volume/fx control pedal and the"Morph" knob to e=lt youmis and match you own custom built Amps/FX.

THE GNX3 and GNX4 are some of the best sounding Floor units for the price Available. These are vintage units. The GNX3 for example, much like the last version of the AXE FX, doesn't even have usb, nor recording interface capability. However it still holds up for sheer gain/chrunch/thrash type vibe for which is really does well and it's dirt cheap.

There are a plethora of connections
Attached Image

and kille tone smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 29 2016, 02:11 PM) *
Not sure if its worth it to be honest smile.gif as these are floor processors, after 20 years I wouldn't expect them to be in working condition biggrin.gif

Almost all footswitches on mine are dead+few buttons. I'm lucky that the really needed buttons atleast for now are working but I don't know for how long biggrin.gif thats why I wouldn't suggest anyone to buy one of these unless they get it for almost free or something...

For newer affordable solutions, I suggest friends to check the zoom g1on or ms50g although I haven't had quality time with these yet.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:09 AM