2 Pages V   1 2 >  
My Company, Customer video
Phil66
Jun 17 2019, 02:40 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
One of our main customers is making a series of videos about us, here is part 1.

https://youtu.be/Jr6qk5wCPEQ

They have some more about us HERE that aren't part of the same series.

I know some of you won't be interested but some of you have an engineering background and may like it.

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 17 2019, 02:40 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 17 2019, 04:02 PM
GMC:er
Cool.
These are high performance racing pistons, correct?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2019, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your interest Ken smile.gif

Those particular ones aren't super high performance but they are for race and mainly go in the classic Mini race cars. We do some for a Subaru Impreza for Roger Clark Motorsport for there Time Attack car that has nearly 800bhp for a 2 litre 4 cylinder, it's called the https://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/gobstopper-II

Until the rule changes every factory racing Ducati in the world had our pistons in, from BSB, WSBK, AMA, Moto GP. Casey Stoner won his Moto GP World title using our pistons, Carl Fogarty won every one of his WSBK titles with our pistons.

Check us out at www.omegapistons.com wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 17 2019, 06:36 PM
Cool, I noticed the guy was so comfortable with all the heat around him. Looks actually like a dangerous place for one not aware.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2019, 08:08 PM
Thanks Mertay,

Yeah, Jason has been doing it a long time, he does a great job, experience is key. On some of the more difficult jobs like the Ducati World Super Bike pistons which are a full cross braced slipper at 112mm (4.4") with a lot of detail the tooling has to be heated up after every TWO forgings, some of the simpler ones only need heating up after thirty or forty forgings. Knowing how and where to apply the lubricant for some of the complex ones is a skill in itself. It's one of those jobs that look simple, which it is when it is going well but the skill comes in when things aren't going well for one reason or another.

Cheers

www.omegapistons.com

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jun 17 2019, 08:50 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 17 2019, 12:08 PM) *
It's one of those jobs that look simple, which it is when it is going well but the skill comes in when things aren't going well for one reason or another.

How fast and how effectively can you recover. And how consistently can you do that.

Playing music live is like that.
It ain't the mistakes, it's the recovery.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 17 2019, 08:54 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 17 2019, 07:50 PM) *
How fast and how effectively can you recover. And how consistently can you do that.

I thought of guitar factories when Phil66 made that comment. I see a lot machines in such video's but reality is maybe 90% of the production is made by hand.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 17 2019, 09:57 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jun 17 2019, 07:50 PM) *

Thanks Ken, it's nice to see you and Mertay interested cool.gif

On a good day with a forging that is easy to work, Jason has done over 500 forgings in an 8 hour shift which if you remove two 15 minute tea breaks it's seven and a half hours with a lunch break of thirty minutes which isn't part of the shift but does mean getting going again.

A more complex one like a large fly cross braced slipper type forging might only be eight or ninety in the same time due to the amount of reheating required but rest assured, when it's like that Jason is cutting and aiming the billets ready for the next day. Induction heating would be the best solution but huge expense and a lot of modification to the press.

FYI, that press was built to our specification using the lessons we learnt from our first bits and pieces press made from bits and bobs from various presses that the press engineer could find. The current one cost us £180,000 in 1992. Today with all of the tooling like the dies and punches it would cost around £1,000,000 to set up, obviously we have done it over a period of 25 years which spreads the cost nicely wink.gif

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 18 2019, 03:09 AM
Most folks don't know that most racing engines are made in England, not in Italy smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 17 2019, 09:40 AM) *
One of our main customers is making a series of videos about us, here is part 1.

I know some of you won't be interested but some of you have an engineering background and may like it.

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 18 2019, 07:57 PM
Here is another one they have done, this time about the prototyping. Not done at our factory though but interesting all the same.

https://youtu.be/6-86UZLeFxE

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 18 2019, 08:04 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 20 2019, 10:51 PM
Number 3, again not in the workshop.
https://youtu.be/Z9uU9l34lx4

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 20 2019, 08:32 PM
The latest installment. Some of the rapid movements have been reduced for the sake of the video.

https://youtu.be/Lsz9be_OdmM

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 20 2019, 08:36 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 20 2019, 10:32 PM
Very cool stuff!!!! Most folks are not aware of ho much racing production is done in the UK.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 17 2019, 09:40 AM) *

Cheers

Phil

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 20 2019, 11:45 PM
Learning Roadie
As much as I love the Wankel's engine design and its triangular block spinning round and round, I also appreciate the piston engines and I use one myself. I'm interested in how-it's-done videos because I just like learning new things and enjoy seeing the very process. Thank you for sharing it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 21 2019, 09:07 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 20 2019, 09:32 PM) *
Very cool stuff!!!! Most folks are not aware of ho much racing production is done in the UK.

Did your see the last video Todd? Just asking because your reply had the first video in it wink.gif

QUOTE (Adam @ Sep 20 2019, 10:45 PM) *
As much as I love the Wankel's engine design and its triangular block spinning round and round, I also appreciate the piston engines and I use one myself. I'm interested in how-it's-done videos because I just like learning new things and enjoy seeing the very process. Thank you for sharing it smile.gif

You're welcome buddy, did you watch all the videos?

This post has been edited by Phil66: Sep 21 2019, 09:08 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 21 2019, 06:18 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 20 2019, 10:32 PM) *

My Dad built the very first Ford GT 40's for FAV (Ford Advanced Vehicles)!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 21 2019, 07:52 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 21 2019, 05:18 PM) *
My Dad built the very first Ford GT 40's for FAV (Ford Advanced Vehicles)!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Nice one cool.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 22 2019, 01:16 AM
I'll check just to make sure.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Sep 21 2019, 04:07 AM) *
Did your see the last video Todd? Just asking because your reply had the first video in it wink.gif

You're welcome buddy, did you watch all the videos?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Sep 22 2019, 08:29 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 22 2019, 01:16 AM) *
I'll check just to make sure.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=771395

wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 25 2019, 06:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
I sometimes watch similar shows on Discovery Channel/Discovery Science. They have a show called "How it's made", I think, or something similar to that. smile.gif Thanks for sharing, Phil.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:31 PM