2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Calling All You Speed Pickers!
tommyboy
Nov 11 2008, 12:48 AM
GMC:er
What gauge picks are you using. I'm not the fastest nor am I the slowest picker in the world. As long as I can remember I've used Dunlop Nylon .88mm picks (med heavy). I can tremolo pick plenty fast but my most of my speed playing has always come from a strong legato technique. I'm working on many different exercises to better sync my two hands. However, sometimes I feel like my pick is dragging too much string on a fast ascending or descending run.

So I guess I would like to know what gauge and type of picks you fast players are using to see if I can come up with something that might help,

Thanks a ton,

tommyboy

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Nov 11 2008, 12:53 AM
Instructor
I prefer thicker picks,mostly 2.0mm but that is just me,
doesn't need to work for you. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
superize
Nov 11 2008, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I use 0.10 mm strings and 1 mm thick pick.... i cant pick fast yet but i am working on it

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Nov 11 2008, 01:09 AM
Instructor
There is this theory that you should use thicker pics for speed couse the give you more presition when you have a more stiff edge, like if you were using a pen. (Guthrie Govan)

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Oxac
Nov 11 2008, 02:56 PM
QUOTE (Gerardo Siere @ Nov 11 2008, 01:09 AM) *
There is this theory that you should use thicker pics for speed couse the give you more presition when you have a more stiff edge, like if you were using a pen. (Guthrie Govan)

Paul gilbert plays with 0,60 mm and he's pretty fast. When you pick, how deep do you dig in with your pick?

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
kjutte
Nov 11 2008, 03:00 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Nov 11 2008, 12:53 AM) *
I prefer thicker picks,mostly 2.0mm but that is just me,
doesn't need to work for you. smile.gif

Me too smile.gif

+Quote Post
berko
Nov 11 2008, 03:11 PM
0.09- 0.46 hybrid gauge strings and 0.96 mm dunlop picks (sometimes i switch to 1.14 mm of the same type)

However, I guess the angle of the pick and the depth you are diving into with it matters more.

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
SensE
Nov 11 2008, 03:34 PM
I'm using Dunlop Jazz III.

+Quote Post
Capt.Z
Nov 11 2008, 03:45 PM
I use whatever muris uses... tongue.gif

COUSE I JUST GOT MY MURIS PICK IN THE MAIL YESTERDAY!!!!!

but I'm not that fast either sad.gif

--------------------

GMC IS TIGHT DAWG

+Quote Post
Canis
Nov 11 2008, 03:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
I use 3mm's tongue.gif
The stiffer the better, in my opinon ^^ (no pun intended)

But I've been trying to play with some thinner ones.. But I don't like plastic/nylon picks anymore.. It just doesen't feel right after I started using V-Picks tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Nov 11 2008, 04:08 PM
Instructor
Don't know how thick the pick is, as it does not say, but dunlop Jazz III is what I use

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Nov 11 2008, 04:24 PM
Instructor
I use Jim Dunlop Tortex 1.35mm

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Frank
Nov 11 2008, 05:44 PM
I’m using a Dunlop 1.14 mm. Thanks to my friend from the guitar center. He got mad at me when he saw me buying the tiniest picks and he hand me over this one’s, and he said that from now on you using this, because this will feet your style .Now I can use thicker than this .If you want speed picking you have to use at list a 1mm.You don’t want the pick to bent at all.

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Nov 11 2008, 05:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Oxac @ Nov 11 2008, 10:56 AM) *
Paul gilbert plays with 0,60 mm and he's pretty fast. When you pick, how deep do you dig in with your pick?

I try to not digg to much to avoid to get a lot of resistance of the string, Paul Gilbert diggs as little as possible, but also have in mind that diferent degris of digging and angle will result in diferenr sounds.
May be the main problem is on one single string is to get a very very very fast atack, this motion is ifor playing slow and fast. In the "atack" you first mute the string, and make preasure on it (planting), amke sure that the presure is against the top and not into the direction of the floor or roof (the reason is bacause the way the top of the guitar vibrate) and for the release you go up and down. For the release you have to aim at a specific point whre the pick should stop, like the karate guyes breaking bricks. For getting nice pressure and mass (that equals to force) you must'n neglect your whole arm weight, use it to your advantage, and also remember that you have to have some resting point for your arm and if posible for wrist, this will be depending on your body, the guitar and the way you hold the guitar. The resultant of your position to play the guitar with the pick is that you should be able to reach all the strings without changing the angle of the pick and with ease for playing.
The indicator of your current speed is how fast you can play on a single note, try this at several places of the freetboard, and several places of the soundboard (for the pick) as the string tension changes.
Then try this notes back and wards

----------------------------
-------3--5--7--5--3------

--------------2-------------
-------3--5------5--3------

----------0--2--0-----------
-------3------------3------

The same notes with different positions you should try all this and get the same sound on them, play then over the fingerboard chromaticly, and also using diferent strings (1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 5-6)
Cordination is a must for playing fast, dont lift your fingers anymore than necesary,
Every fi ger moves by his own once they are in place from their big knuckle, and being slightly curve, press just before the freet and be aware which part of the tip of every finger is pressing, the whole finger may obstruct your vision and you may be not pressing just before the string.
For the pick the main and precition movement comes from the wrist, you may need to make some correction with yur fingers but they are bussy enough by getting a good grip. I notice once that I have a disadvantage way of gripping that blocked certain desired angles so I chaged it.
In general big muscles is for geting the little ones in an adventageous place and the little one to do the precition work while adding the weight of the big ones.
For both arms check what are you doing form your very chest/shoulder, dont let any part of the chain do anything you dont want them to do.
Thats all the factors that may affect the speed and the sound that comes to my mind right now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kuba Szafran
Nov 11 2008, 06:15 PM
Instructor
I use Dunlop JS heavy pick or D'Andrea 1,0mm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zephyr
Nov 11 2008, 06:26 PM
I use Dava Grip Tips almost all the time now. They're multi-gauge (meaning the gauge changes depending on how far you choke up on the pick), so they can feel pretty thin or rock solid. But I just use them because I like the feel of them, not to mention the "handle" part (for lack of a better word, as I suck at my own language laugh.gif) is rubber and has little indentations for a good grip. That means less flying picks, much safer for the audience. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 11 2008, 10:52 PM
Instructor
I use Jazz XL III for soloing, and Nylon 0,9 for rhythm, since with the Jazz one the strumming comes out too sharp.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 12 2008, 02:35 AM
QUOTE (Oxac @ Nov 11 2008, 07:56 AM) *

Very just enough blink.gif I hold my pick with very little sticking out. Pick harmonics are very easy for me and I can do them at will. It's mainly my up stroke. Don't get me wrong, I'm not struggling I'm just trying to see what other fast players are doing to see if maybe a slight change would get me to that next level of shred! cool.gif

tommyboy

Thanks guys for all the great feedback. I feel much better knowing your all using thick picks. When I was young and playing nightly I used a bit heavier picks then what I use now but I wasn't trying to shred back then. I used to use the Tortex picks but when my hands start to sweat they get a little slick in my hands. That why I've use the Dunlop nylons for years.

Don't know if any of you have ever tried or seen a copper pick but they were my favorite. Stiff but great string to hand feedback. Only thing was buy the end of a show your strings were shot. I broke a lot of high E strings using them. Haven't seen them in years though.

Thanks again guys,

tommyboy

--------------------

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 12 2008, 03:55 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 11 2008, 03:52 PM) *
I use Jazz XL III for soloing, and Nylon 0,9 for rhythm, since with the Jazz one the strumming comes out too sharp.

Surely you don't switch midway through a song. Are you talking about when you decide to go Van Halen and Impress all the lady's! wink.gif

I ran across a instructor on this site that picks and anchors his right hand exactly like I do. His name is Piotr Kacsor and the lesson is Arpeggio Etude - Around the Chord. He like myself uses his fingers as well as his wrist. Do you think this might be my cause for feeling a string drag sometimes when attempting a fast ascending run?

tommyboy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Nov 12 2008, 12:20 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I am using a 2mm stone pick, I never really liked thin and flexible picks, they take away a lot of your attack and also make your sound more thin, and this stone that my pick is made of offers exactly the sound that I love.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:54 AM