6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Should Marijuana Be Legalized?
klasaine
Feb 10 2014, 06:42 PM
GMC:er
It says up to 41% (up from 23%) will have 'run ins with the law' ... which can mean loitering, TPing a house, running away from home, under age drinking/smoking in the park, cutting school (truancy), fighting outside of school, etc. Arrested, (if you ask a kid - which is what they did), just means taken in to custody. You can be released 3 hours later to your parents or legal guardian.
Seeing that it's commercial news I feel that's all pretty sensationalized. Plus, they asked kids, "have you ever been arrested?" When I was a kid it was cool to say 'yes' ... even if that only meant it was for truancy or really minor shoplifting at the convenience store.

I was taken to the police station more than once when I was in my late teens. I would never label it as 'incarcerated' ... because they let me go (in my parents custody) within a few hours. I think that's pretty normal actually.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 10 2014, 11:48 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Feb 10 2014, 08:28 PM
Well I think it should be legalised considering alcohol is legal. I never hear of anyone going out assaulting someone or causing criminal damage after smoking a joint. Whereas alcohol is the biggest cause of fighting, vandalism, murders, smashed bottles in children's play parks and health issues resulting in the national health service time mostly taking up through alcohol related incidents

In Britain there are lots of people that go out binge drinking every weekend. I also used to do it but have gave that up.The amount of my friends that I talk to that have being out the night before and cannot remember a thing because they have being drinking solid for 10 hours the night before.

Alcohol makes changes peoples personality and in most cases for the worst.Whereas cannabis in my eyes certainly doesn't.It also has its medical uses as well.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 10 2014, 11:04 PM
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Feb 10 2014, 08:28 PM) *
Well I think it should be legalised considering alcohol is legal. I never hear of anyone going out assaulting someone or causing criminal damage after smoking a joint. Whereas alcohol is the biggest cause of fighting, vandalism, murders, smashed bottles in children's play parks and health issues resulting in the national health service time mostly taking up through alcohol related incidents

In Britain there are lots of people that go out binge drinking every weekend. I also used to do it but have gave that up.The amount of my friends that I talk to that have being out the night before and cannot remember a thing because they have being drinking solid for 10 hours the night before.

Alcohol makes changes peoples personality and in most cases for the worst.Whereas cannabis in my eyes certainly doesn't.It also has its medical uses as well.

I totally agree....alcohol could lead to aggression and often does with some people..Nothing wrong with a drink though, same as marijuana, if you don't abuse it. I think, from experience, the same people who sell grass sell everything else...and for the weak minded, they may be tempted to try other stronger things and get hooked...having said that, we are all different and I don't think there is a 'typical' result. I think the legalisation of Marijuana, would offer more control and stop more possibilities of people being exposed to the harder drugs...also on offer from the street dealer....ummm what was this post about again? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 10 2014, 11:11 PM
YES:

It should be and it will be soon enough smile.gif it's a slow process but it's inevitable for a variety of reasons. To be clear I"M NOT A FAN PERSONALLY of the substance but that's beside the point. I don't drink either and I'm opposed to Alcohol prohibition as well smile.gif

The fact is that the time has come to get rid of "Prohibition" and adopt a European model that views "drugs" as a health issue, not a crime issue. Being a bit of a Libertarian, I'm against the govt telling you what you can't ingest in your free time. It's not that I want to ingest, I feel strongly that such a decision (under life, liberty, pursuit of happiness) is simply none of the govt's biz and should be up to folks to do as they choose.

Sadly, the "South" will be dead last to change the laws on this along with marriage equality. After all, I'm from the region that went to war to defend the subjugation of the rights of certain folks. As I mentioned previously, my Southern brethren can be a bit too fond of tradition at times.

Todd

QUOTE (Palacios @ Feb 9 2014, 09:55 PM) *
Hi classmates,
I'm from California; so this isn't even an issue. I got a $50 ticket the other day for smoking a cigarette outside. Yep; that's against the law here. On the other hand if you smoke weed here; it's not even a fine. thank you Govenor Arnold Swarzenegger. Believe me; just walk around San Francisco, and you smell it everywhere. In fact for $100; you can legally grow, sell, and use it here. Europeans this is only ok in certain states; don't try this in the Bible belt, or you'll get locked up. I was in Europe for three month last Summer, and I noticed Spain has similar laws as California. In fact while in San Sebastian and Barcelona; I noticed they have pot shops all over the place. They didn't have any problem smoking it in public, and it was the only way they would talk to an American. lol. Italy and France were similar, but I don't know if it is legal there. So is it really such a horrible thing that we need to lock people up in the US, and turn them into hardened criminals?

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 10 2014, 11:12 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Feb 10 2014, 11:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Feb 10 2014, 10:04 PM) *
....ummm what was this post about again? laugh.gif

I think the original question was.... on a scale of 1-10 what is your favourite colour of the alphabet?

also.... do my eyes look red huh.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Feb 10 2014, 11:22 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Feb 10 2014, 05:14 PM) *
I think the original question was.... on a scale of 1-10 what is your favourite colour of the alphabet?

I'll take a number 7, can I get that with a coke? laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 10 2014, 11:23 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Feb 10 2014, 11:14 PM) *

I'll go with A

On a more serious matter:

This post has reminded me a bit of Ali G and his drug sketch with the drug squad....
'My mate Dave who smokes...but of course I never touch the stuff!'

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Feb 10 2014, 11:33 PM

+Quote Post
metalheadlady
Feb 10 2014, 11:36 PM
I don't really intend to smoke it ever, but I think it should be legal. As it has similar laws to drinking or smoking cigarettes, I just don't see a big issue. Then again, the town I live in is full of potheads. Oh well.

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 10 2014, 11:51 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 10 2014, 09:42 AM) *
It says up to 41% (up from 23%) will have 'run ins with the law' ... which can mean loitering, TPing a house, running away from home, under age drinking/smoking in the park, cutting school (truancy), fighting outside of school, etc. Arrested, (if you ask a kid - which is what they did), just means taken in to custody. You can be released 3 hours later to your parents or legal guardian.
Seeing that it's commercial news I feel that's all pretty sensationalized. Plus, they asked kids, "have you ever been arrested?" When I was a kid it was cool to say 'yes' ... even if that only meant it was for truancy or really minor shoplifting at the convenience store.

I was taken to the police station more than once when I was in my late teens. I would never label it as 'incarcerated' ... because they let me go (in my parents custody) within a few hours. I think that's pretty normal actually.

Ha Ha. Yep; your part of the statistic. I unfortunately am to. I spend the night in the jailhouse drunk tank when I was in my early 20's. I'm actually kind of glad I did, because it made me stop doing stupid shit.

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Feb 11 2014, 01:45 AM
You come up with some crazy topics...

Well as a kid, yes I have tried and smoked it with friends. I would honestly say while it's not good for you at all, it's nothing worst that say alcohol or smoking cigarettes. The only reason for it to be illegal is the government can't make a profit off it - as people can grow it naturally. Stupid NZ attempted to make synthetic cannabinoids legal here for a while, and that ended up being more of a killer.

Now saying that, the main issue with it is people smoke weed with no filter and hold it in the lungs for as long as possible to get the THC hit. Comparing this to normal smoking, the smoke is thicker and unfiltered. This is the same deal to anyone who doesn't smoke and gets 2nd hand from cigarettes - they are actually affected more. It's a real lung killer and will stunt a bit of growth/development. THC follows the bloodstream to fat cells (got the munches?) where it can be stored for over 6 months, depending on how much you exercise/sweat. This is why you don't get addicted, your body builds it's own personal supply over time. The issue with this is it can tend to make you lazy and just chill through life without putting as much effort into actual working requiring a lot of brain power or even being bother to fight someone, etc. You wave it off if it's too much effort, over enjoy eating saturated foods and sleep longer hours. Sure it could stop wars, but at what cost?

Smoking it is probably not the best way of taking it either, but it use to be used for many medical reasons, such as eating/sleeping/depression/relaxing disorders, etc. Some also consider it can cure cancer. How young is too young however...

This is questionable, but interesting:

As for anything really, I believe it depends on how you use or abuse it.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Feb 11 2014, 02:07 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 11 2014, 08:25 AM
Instructor
I think that Ben hit a very interesting topic here - health research. Nature provides us with everything we need to stay fit and healthy, but we devastate it and there's one more thing - the pharma companies will most probably stop at nothing to hide the true remedies for illnesses such as cancer or AIDS, which I am sure that are hidden in some plant found somewhere in nature. Mayhaps, weed can cure some 'incurable' diseases if used right - but until that moment in which truth will be revealed, we will have to see it as a past time activity.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 11 2014, 10:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 10 2014, 10:11 PM) *
The fact is that the time has come to get rid of "Prohibition" and adopt a European model that views "drugs" as a health issue, not a crime issue.

Yes. First and foremost abuse of any substance is primarily a psychological health issue. Not in that people are 'crazy' but in that it's psychological issues that cause people to use these things as a crutch. I guarantee you if the quality of people's lives were better there would be less need to 'escape' from everyday reality.

Of course, addiction and abuse can accidentally catch up with anyone over time who is a casual user but generally speaking, it's an issue that needs to be dealt with in the head first.

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Feb 11 2014, 11:15 AM
Learning Rock Star
The fact that is illegal contributes to the reason people want it so much. If they make it legal under strict guidelines, I think it will be beneficial to people who smoke it and general people. Not that I really care laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Timmez
Feb 11 2014, 10:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (wrk @ Feb 10 2014, 06:11 PM) *
Interesting, i didn’t know that .. that is indeed weird ohmy.gif

How is the distribution organised in holland, from where comes all that weed?

Yeah its a weird thing. We call it "het gedoogbeleid" .

But the weed comes from illegal dealers. So they know they get it illegal but sell it legal.

But if they catch you when you're growing weed you get into jail.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 12 2014, 06:33 AM
Well said smile.gif I"m glad to see that in many states here, decriminalization of Marijuana is proceeding at pace as well as decriminalization of of other things such as same sex relationships (yup, being gay is a crime on the books here in many states) and of course, Gambling.

I wish I could say it's an evolution of public awareness but in many cases it's just being driven by States needs for new tax revenue since the crash/recession.

For example, in California (which was going broke very quickly with several municipalities actually filing for Bankruptcy protection) the revenue generated from legal pot sales has helped stabilize the economy.

In Georgia the Lottery (yup, it's a form of gambling) helps pay for higher education which used to rely on property taxes (after the housing collapse, state budgets took a HUGE hit) for most of their funding.

Lastly, the Congressional Budget Office recently released a 10 year study confirming that allowing same sex marriage would contribute millions in tax revenue over the next several years to the overall economy. Here is the link to that info which I thought was pretty interesting. Who knew?

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbo...sexmarriage.pdf

Needless to say I think folks should be able to do as they like in their private lives on their own time without having to risk incarceration. Ahh liberty smile.gif 200 years in and we are finally starting to get the hang of it.

If we could work out equal pay for Men and Women (Gals earn about 3/4 of what men do for the same work here on average) and a few other details, we might have something!!

Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 11 2014, 04:10 AM) *
Yes. First and foremost abuse of any substance is primarily a psychological health issue. Not in that people are 'crazy' but in that it's psychological issues that cause people to use these things as a crutch. I guarantee you if the quality of people's lives were better there would be less need to 'escape' from everyday reality.

Of course, addiction and abuse can accidentally catch up with anyone over time who is a casual user but generally speaking, it's an issue that needs to be dealt with in the head first.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 12 2014, 06:38 AM

+Quote Post
Palacios
Feb 12 2014, 07:50 AM
Learning Roadie
Holy Moses. Mary Jane is a pretty popular subject. I found this youtube clip that reminded me of some friends from Louisiana that came to one of our monthly Texas Hold'em games. We were passing a bong around. They got so stoned they literally passed out on the table. Like one guy had his face on the table, and the other was snoring on my couch. Later on they told me that the weed in CA is obscene. They were right. The people around here don't grow normal weed anymore. When I was in college it was fun because it didn't put you in a coma like the stuff they have now. tongue.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 12 2014, 08:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tflava @ Feb 11 2014, 09:38 PM) *
Yeah its a weird thing. We call it "het gedoogbeleid" .

But the weed comes from illegal dealers. So they know they get it illegal but sell it legal.

But if they catch you when you're growing weed you get into jail.

Man, Holland has A LOT of weird stuff... My cousin is dutch and he worked in the police force for a couple of years.. The things he told me about... For instance, they - as policemen - aren't allowed to fire a gun even in a life threatening situation and he was facing that more than 2-3 times. Why the hell are they carrying them then?

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Feb 12 2014, 02:25 PM
I think its worth mentioning, particularly to the younger members of GMC, that I personally don't smoke marijuana (anymore), and I wouldn't want anyone to think it was a good idea...When I did smoke, I did have a lot of problems learning and remembering chords and notes on the guitar. It damages creativity rather than enhancing it. If learning guitar is your thing and I imagine it is if your'e reading this, then don't do it. Yes, Hendrix did it, but marijuana use won't make you into Jimi. laugh.gif This is a link I found on the net that might be worth reading:

http://www.nevdgp.org.au/info/std_misc/MarijuanaQuit.html

I do however think it should be legalized for the reasons, I stated earlier in this thread...and particularly for medical use....the world should also be free enough for people to do what THEY want and find out through experimenting if they must what's good and what's not.

Since I stopped, a few years back, my memory returned to almost normal and I'm a lot happier with the World. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Headbanger: Feb 12 2014, 02:28 PM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 12 2014, 02:58 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 11 2014, 09:33 PM) *
Well said smile.gif I"m glad to see that in many states here, decriminalization of Marijuana is proceeding at pace as well as decriminalization of of other things such as same sex relationships (yup, being gay is a crime on the books here in many states) and of course, Gambling.

I wish I could say it's an evolution of public awareness but in many cases it's just being driven by States needs for new tax revenue since the crash/recession.

For example, in California (which was going broke very quickly with several municipalities actually filing for Bankruptcy protection) the revenue generated from legal pot sales has helped stabilize the economy.

In Georgia the Lottery (yup, it's a form of gambling) helps pay for higher education which used to rely on property taxes (after the housing collapse, state budgets took a HUGE hit) for most of their funding.

Lastly, the Congressional Budget Office recently released a 10 year study confirming that allowing same sex marriage would contribute millions in tax revenue over the next several years to the overall economy. Here is the link to that info which I thought was pretty interesting. Who knew?

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/files/cbo...sexmarriage.pdf

Needless to say I think folks should be able to do as they like in their private lives on their own time without having to risk incarceration. Ahh liberty smile.gif 200 years in and we are finally starting to get the hang of it.

If we could work out equal pay for Men and Women (Gals earn about 3/4 of what men do for the same work here on average) and a few other details, we might have something!!

Todd

Finance and profit are generally (always?) the driver of change. Never moral integrity or fairness. Is it any wonder that the first things to turn a profit online was gambling and pornography? wink.gif

*One small point ... though legal weed production and sales has generated some profit for CA it's mostly rising home prices, recent home sales/homeownership and the associated new prop taxes that has generated our recently found fiscal surplus (now if we can just find some friggin water). Also, another tech boom in and around silicon Valley as well as a popular governor who knows how to work with the legislators. We still have a lot of bonds (debt) to pay down but our budget is in surplus.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 12 2014, 03:14 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 13 2014, 07:54 AM
Well said smile.gif Same goes for and SAME GOES FOR BOOZE. I don't drink booze and after seeing what booze has done to various members of my family line, I"m an advocate for staying away from that too. I don't think there should be any laws preventing folks from drinking, but as an example and a suggestion, I don't. I found it really interfered with my ability to absorb information, learn new scales, practice effectively etc. Also, I'm prone to "over do" things so it's probably a good idea I stay away from most things that go bad in large doses smile.gif

[Wequote name='Headbanger' date='Feb 12 2014, 08:25 AM' post='674641']
I think its worth mentioning, particularly to the younger members of GMC, that I personally don't smoke marijuana (anymore), and I wouldn't want anyone to think it was a good idea...When I did smoke, I did have a lot of problems learning and remembering chords and notes on the guitar. It damages creativity rather than enhancing it. If learning guitar is your thing and I imagine it is if your'e reading this, then don't do it. Yes, Hendrix did it, but marijuana use won't make you into Jimi. laugh.gif This is a link I found on the net that might be worth reading:

http://www.nevdgp.org.au/info/std_misc/MarijuanaQuit.html

I do however think it should be legalized for the reasons, I stated earlier in this thread...and particularly for medical use....the world should also be free enough for people to do what THEY want and find out through experimenting if they must what's good and what's not.

Since I stopped, a few years back, my memory returned to almost normal and I'm a lot happier with the World. biggrin.gif
[/quote]

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:16 AM