Below Don't peek and cheat

Answer:

If you said "Sex Pistols", Very overrated band, because not only did they not invent punk, but they sounded awful (as evidenced by the fact that nobody listens to them anymore)

If you said "Ramones", better answer, as they predated the Sex Pistols by several years no matter how you define it, and the fact that they are sill popular is also a plus, but no, they did not invent Punk.

It was amazingly enough invented by Los Saicos from Peru in the early 60's. Listen on youtube if you doubt that.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Gitarrero
Jan 27 2011, 08:08 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Quite interesting!
I would also throw The Kinks into the ring, as some of their songs in the sixties sounded really raw and punky.
As for the Sex Pistols, wasn't an awful sound essential for punk? wink.gif I also think their whole behaviour made them idols for many punks back in the days, so my opinion is that there is more to punk than just the musical side, which would put the Sex Pistols on top of the list as inventors of punk again.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 27 2011, 08:54 AM
GMC:er
Interesting stuff smile.gif Though I would have to say, Sex Pistols are often credited for inventing "punk" because they were one of the first groups to "commodify" what became punk. They broke through in to the main stream to a degree that other punk acts never managed.

It's sort of like Eddie VanHalen being credited with inventing tapping/hammering. Players were doing it for decades before Eddie. But he is the iconic character most associated with that technique, so it's often attributed to him.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 27 2011, 09:33 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Puink was imo founded in Great Britain but I guess you're right, Ramones hit it before with punk rock. Never heard of Los Saicos but I should have guessed by how the question was put in the first place biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jan 27 2011, 10:01 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
After listening to Los Saicos, I think you should add another option, which would be "none of the above". I don't think you could say punk rock was invented by a particular band, because no music genre was really invented per se. Most genres develop from a scene, and most scenes are inspired by their predecessors. Since the late 70's, punk rock has had a consistent sound, albeit with some variability, and I vaguely hear that sound in this band.

Also, I don't think any of the early punk rock bands were heavily inspired by Los Saicos, if they were inspired by them at all. Come to think of it, I don't think there was any genesis moment for punk rock, it kinda just happened biggrin.gif

And finally, the boys from Los Saicos look like they bath on a regular basis, so that definitely disqualifies them from being punk tongue.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 27 2011, 04:55 PM
Instructor
Ramones to me although not a big fan

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 27 2011, 11:36 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I remember Los Saicos on some weird documentary from VH1 I think, and I think you mentioned them before. Either of the three answers I would consider "generally" acceptable.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 28 2011, 10:10 AM
Instructor
I would say Dream Theater.......... no hang on a minute, wrong quiz ! wink.gif

Nah, I would have said Ramones out of the 3 choices probably.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 31 2011, 06:15 PM
Instructor
Ramones for me as well, legendary band. I like more Pistols tho, more rawness biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:56 PM