5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Coffeeman/big Harry Mtp Thread
coffeeman
Jan 8 2009, 07:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Harry,

My name is Andres , Im 33 years old, I learnt to play the guitar when I was 17 , I played for a couple of years and I quit and I start playing again 2 years ago.

As you may know we have been mathced up for the MTP, and Im very happy with it. Fisrt of all welcome and I hope this experience will be very helpful for both of us.

I have seen your videos and I must say that you have a very good technique and the right motivation so it will very easy for both us to work.

I read your MTP entries but I would like to tell me about yourself. How old are you? For how long have you been playing? which styles do you like? Which are you strengths and your weaknesses? What are your goals in your playing?

Welcome Harry and please tell me anything you need Im here to help you, Im looking forward to learn a lot with you.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 9 2009, 10:37 AM
Learning Roadie - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Jan 8 2009, 07:22 PM) *
Hi Harry,

My name is Andres , Im 33 years old, I learnt to play the guitar when I was 17 , I played for a couple of years and I quit and I start playing again 2 years ago.

As you may know we have been mathced up for the MTP, and Im very happy with it. Fisrt of all welcome and I hope this experience will be very helpful for both of us.

I have seen your videos and I must say that you have a very good technique and the right motivation so it will very easy for both us to work.

I read your MTP entries but I would like to tell me about yourself. How old are you? For how long have you been playing? which styles do you like? Which are you strengths and your weaknesses? What are your goals in your playing?

Welcome Harry and please tell me anything you need Im here to help you, Im looking forward to learn a lot with you.

Hi Harry,

Hey Andres

Now i found my way, here i am tongue.gif

thc for the welcome
ok i am Harry from austria, 35 years old
i started playing at the age of 16, everything learning by myself
i also quit in between like you but started after 10 years again

mostly i like some hard rock stuff like ACDC, Winger, Thunder, Guns n roses and lots more ........
sure some metal stuff like Metallica but i prefer the hairspray rock tongue.gif

i will tell you more later on cause i am quite short in time right now, just wanted you to let you know that i found my way

i am glad to be able to work with you so lets get started

later i will tell you my strenght and my weaknesses and what i am practicing at the moment

thx
cya
Harry

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 9 2009, 01:58 PM
Hi Harry,

ok Andres here we go again

in the post above i wrote you about the music i prefer
mostly i like hardrock as written but i like to find my own style, and in my vision this is somewhere between ACDC and Metallicai guess
in my former band everyone was upset when i came back with another ACDC or Metallica song but thats the kind of music i like and thats it
i am not fixed to that kind of music, because i also love the music of Genesis or Phil Collins or Pink Floyd
to shorten it up, i am into really GOOD music even if its Rock, Metal, Funk, Jazz or whatever

now to my weaknesses
i guess i have many of them, as i spoke with Pedja sometimes i would say some techniques need to be improved a lot

- right hand (picking hand) up on speed

- Legato
- Muting (more with left hand)
- Bending
- Tapping (never really used it)
- sweeping

- arpeggios
- advanced chords (like 7th, add9 and so on)
- rhythming

- improvisation

- and of course theory but that comes along with playing

that primary what i want and need to improve

my strenght in my oppinion is
- that i can hold the tempo without getting out of speed too much
- the will to get better
- the will to practice (as far as my time let it go, i have 3 kids rolleyes.gif )
- some good basics to work on i guess

what i am working on at the moment
- scales up and down (major, pentatonic, blues - at the moment i reached 90bpm by just playng scales up and down)
- combine scales (playing one up and the next down and so on)
- patterns/scales with 3 notes per string
- muting (trying to improve the muting of the left hand - position of the hand)
- sometimes bending (not really much at the moment)
- finger exercises like finger independence and finger shifting

- and if i have some time left i jam around over some music to try the scales i learned (mostly slower songs to get not too much speed)

What are my goals ?
hmm thats a good question and it should be in the FAQ category biggrin.gif
i guess my primary goal is to get a free and solid player that makes some good music no matter what kind of music
of course my preferable music but i would love to be able to do some hardrock as well as some metal or even cool and rocky funk

but for the MTP i would say
- be able to use all kind of techniques
- playing solos without thinking what note comes next
- playing a good and spicy rhythm guitar because thats the base of each song in my oppinion
- be able to bring over the feeling of the songwriter
- and lots of flexibility in my playing

i guess thats it for the main thing and i am sure that this takes more than 1 month cool.gif but i have time
so i hope you understand what i gave at my best and we will find a good way to work together

one thing i like to add this on
sometimes i am on business trips and in this time i am not able to grab a guitar but this happens generally 1 time a month
but in the moment of the financial situation all over the world it seems that there is not so much need for the next months so lets see, but of course i will let you know, when time comes

in this way Andres lets go working, we have a lot to do biggrin.gif

cya
Harry

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 9 2009, 02:18 PM
Instructor
I am very much looking forward to Andrus exercises and plan for big Harry as Harry is really hard worker and enjoys playing a lot. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 9 2009, 05:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Harry,

Thanks a lot for your introduction it gives us a better perpective to start working.

So let's get to work, this week we will be working on Timing & Rythm, on the lesson Begginer Strumming and Arpeggios

I want you to play very clean so we can start working on palm muting too , try to mute the strings that are not been playing in the chord. Also remember that we are on the Am scale so this will give us the knowledge of the arpeggios of the chords on this scale. If you can I would like you to write the notes of the chords that are been playing.

Please let me know if you have any doubts about this lesson.

I'll be on a trip for the weekend I don't know if would have internet conection.

So have a nice weekend learning this lesson , and I'll be back a.s.a.p so we can move on.

This post has been edited by coffeeman: Jan 9 2009, 05:29 PM

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 10 2009, 10:07 AM
Hey Andres

Here we go with exercise 1

Chord progression is
Am - C - Em - G
Dm - F - G - C

Played notes are (1st part ascending, 2nd part descending)
Am - A E A C E, E C A E A
C - C E G C E, E C G E C
Em - E B E G B, E B G E B
G - G E D G D, G D G D E
Dm - G A D F G, F D A G F
F - F C F A C, F C A F C
G - G E D G D, G D G D E
C - C E G C E, E C G E C

i made 3 takes yesterday, but i only put in the 3rd cause the other ones are too big
i know its not 100% correct but i thought i let you know what i can do after short time of practice

i know you are not in this weekend so i will move on according the syllabus (whatever that means tongue.gif ) and make the next lesson to give you a point view where i am
i will do the frusciante lesson and the slow pentatonics (started already)
i try to put the first takes on tomorrow, so when you are back we can grab the guitar and move on
have a nice weekend with your family and cya soon

Harry

This post has been edited by big harry: Jan 16 2009, 12:09 PM

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 11 2009, 07:20 PM
hey Andres

here we go with the promised frusciante and slow pentatonics lessons

ok i have to say in this place, that i followed the mtp test phase with these lessons and i know some of them but i recorded them new so that i gives you a real point of few.

looking forward for your comments and waiting for the next exercises and your vision of what we do next and in which direction we move on

and PLEASE dont hesitate to tell your real oppinion about my playing, i am a big boy ...... biggrin.gif

hope you find your way back home from your trip cool.gif

cya
Harry

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 12 2009, 10:08 AM
Hi Andres

i Know its somewhere around 4am your time and maybe you are still asleep huh.gif
GET OUT OF BED AND LETS GO TO WORK biggrin.gif

just to let you know, yesterday i started a bit working around with the alternate thirds lesson from Muris
i got down the "standard fingerings" at around 70 to 75 bpm
with the changed fingerings i have some (not to say TONNS) of problems right now huh.gif
but i am sure with some more work i will get it someday even if it takes me years tongue.gif

i have done 2 takes, one clean and one distorted just to get a feeling how it sounds in both ways
i can up them tonight if you want

i have done this meanwhile awaiting your timeshedule for our next 4 weeks and i think i will do the "alice in chains lesson" also to complete the syllabus
i have done this lesson from Gabriel 2 months ago, with rhythm i didnt hahve much problems, the solo part was way to hard that time, especially the faster patterns/runs

so thats it for now

cya
Harry

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 12 2009, 11:57 AM
Hi Andres

i dont know if you have seen it, but a few days ago i made the essential blues licks and posted a video

later on in the thread i put 2 more vids in
here is the link to the thread

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=305868

hey man how long do you sleep in bogota ??? tongue.gif

cya
Harry

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 12 2009, 09:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Harry ,

Sorry for the delay , I was on a trip , I just came back , give me a few hours to catch up.

Thanks.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 13 2009, 07:55 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Harry,

Back from the family trip away from technology and civilization. Lets get back to work.

First of all , very nice work posting the three videos, for the moment I'll coment on the first assigment and I'll comment on the other 2 tomorrow.

Begginner Strumming and arpeggios

The lesson

You learned the lesson very well , there is just on note missing on the G chord in the sdtrumming and another one in the arpeggio, you are not playing the D note on the B string.

Your playing

Before commenting about your playing , and correct me if i'm wrong but I felt like your guitar was a little bit out of tune, or maybe you were pushing to hard the strings, I don't know.

Very nive hand position. As I said before you missed the D note on the G chord and thats because you are not using your first finger, use it as muris does , I think thats the better way to play the G Chord. Here is the fingering:

---3----
---3----
---0----
---0----
---2----
---3----

After strumming the chord you are playing B note instead of D , thats because you didn't use the right fingering , watch video number 2 again.

Now the picking, I don't see much troubles in that, If you feel comfortable playing the arpeggios only in one direction thats ok no problem, although I suggest to practice the arpeggios with alternate picking just for practice , so when you are soloing you can choose the best way. Try to pick only the string you want, to get the true sound of the arpeggio, and to eliminate unwanted noise.

Now the strumming, take your time , you're hurrying in the struming , it's like you are worried to reach the next chord and maybe thats why some chords don't sound entirly clean , i.e when you move from the Dm to the F and then to G. Attach all the chord with the same strength , and play all the chords in the same way , some chords sound louder than other , and some sound cleaner than others.

Tone

I know that we are practicing and I also asked you to play it very clean , but we can work on the tone too. The tone you used was to dry and to bright for my taste, I preffer for this king of struming and arpeggios more mid range, were you using the bridge pick up ? if yes try moving it to the neck pick up. Of what I want here is that you find your tone deppending on what your are playing , but from now one I want to work on this too.

Im very happy with your work, very nice take , we're going on the right path. I'll comment on the other videos tomorrow. Please upload a new video of the first assigment using the recommendations I said. If you feel that Im wrong in anything that Im saying please let me know , this is a team work.

So keep working the way you are doing it.

See you tomorrow.

Andrés. cool.gif

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 13 2009, 08:47 AM
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Jan 13 2009, 07:55 AM) *
Hi Harry,

Back from the family trip away from technology and civilization. Lets get back to work.

First of all , very nice work posting the three videos, for the moment I'll coment on the first assigment and I'll comment on the other 2 tomorrow.

Begginner Strumming and arpeggios

The lesson

You learned the lesson very well , there is just on note missing on the G chord in the sdtrumming and another one in the arpeggio, you are not playing the D note on the B string.

Your playing

Before commenting about your playing , and correct me if i'm wrong but I felt like your guitar was a little bit out of tune, or maybe you were pushing to hard the strings, I don't know.

Very nive hand position. As I said before you missed the D note on the G chord and thats because you are not using your first finger, use it as muris does , I think thats the better way to play the G Chord. Here is the fingering:

---3----
---3----
---0----
---0----
---2----
---3----

After strumming the chord you are playing B note instead of D , thats because you didn't use the right fingering , watch video number 2 again.

Now the picking, I don't see much troubles in that, If you feel comfortable playing the arpeggios only in one direction thats ok no problem, although I suggest to practice the arpeggios with alternate picking just for practice , so when you are soloing you can choose the best way. Try to pick only the string you want, to get the true sound of the arpeggio, and to eliminate unwanted noise.

Now the strumming, take your time , you're hurrying in the struming , it's like you are worried to reach the next chord and maybe thats why some chords don't sound entirly clean , i.e when you move from the Dm to the F and then to G. Attach all the chord with the same strength , and play all the chords in the same way , some chords sound louder than other , and some sound cleaner than others.

Tone

I know that we are practicing and I also asked you to play it very clean , but we can work on the tone too. The tone you used was to dry and to bright for my taste, I preffer for this king of struming and arpeggios more mid range, were you using the bridge pick up ? if yes try moving it to the neck pick up. Of what I want here is that you find your tone deppending on what your are playing , but from now one I want to work on this too.

Im very happy with your work, very nice take , we're going on the right path. I'll comment on the other videos tomorrow. Please upload a new video of the first assigment using the recommendations I said. If you feel that Im wrong in anything that Im saying please let me know , this is a team work.

So keep working the way you are doing it.

See you tomorrow.

Andrés. cool.gif

Hey Andres

Glad to have you back and everything is ok with you, hope you enjoyed the trip
sometimes its very useful to get away from all the civilization *hehehe*

so now on to work
about the G chord, i know that and i have learned it like that because for me its easier to move on especially to barre chords, i know the way Muris plays it it sounds some kind of smoother and maybe fuller

i will try to do it in that way on the next take, also with alternate picking

about the strumming
i think you are right, sometimes i play it faster, harder and the next chord comes smoother and slower
in the past most of the time i was playing chords only with strumming like you do at the firestation when you are sitting with friends and drink tonns of beer biggrin.gif

i will try to focus on that also next time

tone
yes i mostly use the bridge pick, but you are right, it sounds a bit too bright, i never spent to much time on that because i always thought, that i dont have time to find some different sounds, instead of that i was practicing rolleyes.gif

but for sure i am up to change that as well, i can try to use the neck pick next time or turn back treble and pull up a bit the mid range for the beginning, maybe later on i have to sit and try to change the settings on the board a bit.

ok i will sit down tonight and have a practice session again trying to focus on the things you said

looking forward your comments for the other vids

i am really glad you are back and we can get this mtp thing running now

cya
Harry

oh yes i forgot to say in this case you are also right, especially the change from Dm to F causes me problems in this case
sometimes i really have problems with the barre chords, i know the chords and if i play only barre chords in a row its easier then to switch from open chords to barre chords
thats the reason why i wrote "chords" in my introduction, when it comes up that i need to play 2 or 3 songs only with barre chords my hand gets weak and i dont feel comfortable with it anymore and it starts to hurt

so i think i will have to put some chord routine in my practice line
i have done the "beginner chord series" here at GMC and it all shows up the same problems written above.

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 13 2009, 05:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
OK Harry , before we move to the next lessons I really want you to be comfortable with this chords. You have a very good sens of timing , but not changing in a good way from one chord to another affects the timing. I want you to practice the Muris lesson and I want you to learn this Carlos Carrillo lesson too , you don't have to play it a full time , what I want is for you to get used to changing between chords.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...g-major-chords/

And then try another take of Muris lesson.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 13 2009, 07:06 PM
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Jan 13 2009, 05:23 PM) *
OK Harry , before we move to the next lessons I really want you to be comfortable with this chords. You have a very good sens of timing , but not changing in a good way from one chord to another affects the timing. I want you to practice the Muris lesson and I want you to learn this Carlos Carrillo lesson too , you don't have to play it a full time , what I want is for you to get used to changing between chords.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...g-major-chords/

And then try another take of Muris lesson.

hi andres

the exercise you gave me, brings me to a point where i cannot go for now huh.gif
i will have to sit and spend lots of time for this lesson, because i am not able to play most of these chords
but i will do my best but it will take some time wink.gif
i know the system of the chords (caged) but my fingers dont know it yet *hehe*
i think the next 4 weeks i have to work on this day and night ........... mad.gif

lets go on i have to work

i start now
i will be on for the next 2 or 3 hours i guess

cya
Harry

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 13 2009, 07:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok try to play it perfect , if after the practice you can't, please upload a video with a slower backing track. Any way I don't think you will have to much trouble to play this lesson perfectly. You will nail it with just a little more practice, just take in count the advices I gave you earlier.

Have a nice practice , see you later.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 13 2009, 07:41 PM
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Jan 13 2009, 07:16 PM) *
Ok try to play it perfect , if after the practice you can't, please upload a video with a slower backing track. Any way I don't think you will have to much trouble to play this lesson perfectly. You will nail it with just a little more practice, just take in count the advices I gave you earlier.

Have a nice practice , see you later.

you mean try to play Muris´ lesson perfect or Carlos ? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 13 2009, 08:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Muris lesson. Carlos lesson is only an excercise to improve changing chords.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 13 2009, 10:07 PM
hey andres

didnt get it perfect today
i feel pretty uncomfortable with the G but i will get it
just did a short clip only with strumming the chords so that i can concentrate more on the chord changes
from Em to G in the first part i have less problems, i changed the fingering on the Em from 2-3 to 1-2 and this way its getting better but from F to G i still have probs as you see in the clip
from Dm to F getting better in my oppinion but theres many work left

nevertheless i am not very pleased with that but i will get for sure
couldnt do the lesson all the time cause my fingertips feel some kind of bloodless now laugh.gif so i did the beginner solo in D from Muris in between to get a bit away from that stuff and came back after 30 mins to the strumming lesson

what about the other vids i posted ? what do you think of that ?

cya man
Harry

i will leave for bed now man, its late and i am tired for today, tomorrow is another day and i will keep on
cya man

This post has been edited by big harry: Jan 13 2009, 10:26 PM

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 14 2009, 08:43 AM
Hey Andres
Still awake ? What time is it at columbia ? must be somewhere around 3 in the morning, isnt it ?

still practicing ? wink.gif

Harry

Hi again

Andres what time schedule do we have for the first week ? when is the first week finished ?

will we keep up on the syllabus for the rest of the time ?

what would you suggest for my practice routine in future ?

ok the first part will be "chords" in every possible position
i learned that i really need to focus on that for a while because there are many things to be done in my playing on that

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 14 2009, 05:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Good morning Harry,

You've done an excellent work with the first assigment , you complete the whole lesson , and you have a good sense of rythm and timing. So let's move on , but I want you to keep practicing Muris lesson until you get it perfect. And I would Love to watch a video when that happends. If you need more excersices please let me know. I think Carlos lesson will be an excersise too.

So now I would like to comment on your 2 other videos:

Slow pentatonics

The lesson

You learned the whole lesson with any mistakes

Your playing

Very nice played , I like a lot your hand position and you use all your fingers very nice. What I would suggest for this lesson is to stick to alternate picking, it will sound more consistent and it will help you in the future when you will play faster licks. I don't know if you do it on purpose or not but you use economy picking when you switch strings. This is not a mistake , but if your looking forward to develope speed in the future , I would suggest to develope a strong alternate picking technique. You have a nice vibrato , try to use it a little more , and experiment with it, make it wider , faster , and see what comes out of it.

Tone

I like the tone in this take more than in the first video. Try to change the position of the pickup selector while your playing it will give different tones , and that way you will finding your tone.

Conclusion

Awesom work on this lesson , try to incorporate the tips I told you and I would like to see a new video. Awesome work I loved this take.

Frusciante Lesson

The Lesson

You learned the whole lesson perfectly again.

Your playing

Very nice executed, as I have said before you have a very good techinque. As in the previous video I suggest zou to stick to alternate picking, and to add little more vibrato. Your bends are very accurate and solid.

Tone

Very nice clean tone , I like it very much. Same as in the firts video try to give it more warm sound adding some midds to it.

Conclusion

Awesome work , just try to incorporate the tips about alternate picking and vibrato.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So harry you've done an awesome work so far.

Next assigment is choose one of the following lessons :

Smoke under water

Blues groovy library

Alice in Chains Style lesson

I don't think your going to have any trouble with any of this lesson, Im looking forward to the video so we can move on to alternate picking excercises and more soloing lessons.

I will work on a routine for you so zou can have it on the futurre, for the moment lets work on our assigments, we wont have any troubles with them, so we can move on.

Have a nice day and a nice practice.

Andrés.

This post has been edited by coffeeman: Jan 14 2009, 09:37 PM

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:08 PM