Jun 21 2007, 05:45 AM
Learning Roadie

E |-5-----|
B |-6-----|
G |-5-----|
D |-------| (x)
A |-------| (x)
E |-------| (x)

I have a nice chord progression going (am, mystery chord, bm, fmaj, emaj) but I have no idea what this one's called. Wondering if anyone can analyze the notes and see what might be called (if they don't know offhand) and maybe even can tell me why the chord progression sounds nice. At least, I think it does tongue.gif

[edit] Sorry, I suck at making tabs tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JVM: Jun 21 2007, 05:59 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Ryan
Jun 21 2007, 05:59 AM
GMC:er
Can you really tell if its a chord jsut from those 3 notes?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 21 2007, 06:01 AM
Learning Roadie
Well, I think you can, it can probably be called a number of things. I'm not sure. I'm hoping so tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Khaos
Jun 21 2007, 08:59 AM
Dm7

That's my guess, could be wrong.

--------------------
Current Gear:
  • 1990 Jackson USA SL1 (Soloist) w/ SnakeSkin Finish
  • Peavey 5150

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 21 2007, 10:17 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
That's only two notes in your chord, F and A.
Or did you mean?

e |---|-X-|---|---|
B |---|---|-X-|---|
G |---|-X-|---|---|
D |---|---|---|---| (x)
A |---|---|---|---| (x)
E |---|---|---|---| (x)
frt 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |

Either way that should make an Fmaj. Look, same formation as the Dmaj from fret twom three frets higher makes F and when I play it it sounds like Fmaj too.

If you really only meant for the e and B string to be in it you have to figure which chords with an A and and F fits your chord progression.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 21 2007, 02:52 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
More than likey its how MickeM Explains it, cause you need 3 notes for a chord and it has the same formation as Dmaj, thats the one that males the most sense to me unsure.gif

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Jun 21 2007, 02:52 PM

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 21 2007, 05:56 PM
Learning Roadie
laugh.gif Yeah I told you I was terrible with making tabs. If I read that as a tab normally I would play it like that but writing it I didn't even realize.

It sounds quite different than fmaj to me, though.

This post has been edited by JVM: Jun 21 2007, 05:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Jun 22 2007, 02:28 AM
The difference in sound is probably because Dmaj has the root note D in it twice as below:

e---2---
B---3--- (D)
G---2---
D---0--- (D)
A-------
E-------

And when you drag it down to Fmaj it only contains 1 Root note:

e---5---
B---6--- (F)
G---5---
D-------
A-------
E-------

If you are having trouble hearing it get someone else to play Fmaj:

e---1--- (F)
B---1---
G---2---
D---3--- (F)
A---0---
E---0---

Then play your Fmaj over it and listen to the similarity. This is actually a great exercise for learning to listen to new chords such as barres and especially Open 5's and such.

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:17 PM