What Do You Learn First?
coffeeman
May 5 2009, 03:56 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey guys,

I normally learn the guitar , and then I learn the lyrics while playing.

I want to know the aproach you give when learning a song with lyrics.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
May 5 2009, 05:07 AM
Instructor
It depends a lot on the type of song you're playing I think.

For example, if I'm learning a song like "Drive" by Incubus I'll learn the few chords and then sing the lyric over the song while I also play the chords. Then I do it by myself all alone with guitar.
If the song is more like a metal song I'll probably sing it along with the Cd and then (or before) learn the guitar part so afterwards I can put them together.

So if the song is more like an acoustic one I'd probably learn all more like a whole package, but if it's more "complex" I'd learn each part and then assemble them.

Let me know if this helps a little smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 5 2009, 07:47 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm I though question! In my case I first learn the guitar/bass parts and then the lyrics.Though sometimes I already know the lyrics for the song which helps the learning process.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
steve25
May 5 2009, 08:47 AM
GMC:er
I don't bother with lyrics at all i'm not a vocalist. For me it will always be guitar first and sometimes that is all i will learn. Sometimes i will learn the drum parts as well and at the moment i don't learn the bass. Pretty much i'll pick a song and just tab it out by ear to get some ideas. If i get stuck i might use other tabs to see what they've done.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 5 2009, 10:16 AM
Instructor
I usually leave lyrics for the end,
except if I haven't known them before by some chance. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
djohnneay
May 5 2009, 11:32 AM
GMC:er
I only learn to sing the lyrics if I really like the song.
Because our band already has a vocalist, I don't see the need of learning the lyrics of every song.

I'm not even good at singing, so I only sing for my own pleasure and try not to bother other people with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 5 2009, 12:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I always first learn the guitar parts before going for the lyrics (not always fully, but key points in the song I always know) smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
May 5 2009, 05:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hmmm... I guess I suck at singing because I don't sing, and don't sing because I suck at it. This is why I partially ignore the lyrics, and just for the guitar. Sometimes, however, I know the lyrics to songs (especially by Iron Maiden), and I sometimes sing along to the CD... However I try to stick to the guitar as much as possible to avoid getting a stone thrown at my head by somebody who's unfortunate to hear my dreadful voice ! biggrin.gif

Alexander

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 5 2009, 05:44 PM
Instructor
Harmony then melody , in this case chords all the way followed by lyrics on top of them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jose Lassaga
May 5 2009, 05:46 PM
Instructor
I first learn the chords and form. Then I singing the lyric over the song. Each section separately. Little by little. See you smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 5 2009, 08:07 PM
Instructor
First the guitar parts, then the lyrics, then combine them. smile.gif If I know the lyrics then I don't have to learn them afterwards I guess smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 6 2009, 09:10 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
My approach is to completely ignore the lyrics smile.gif If they are good they will stick to my mind anyway, if not, well... then I can still play the song on the guitar, I am a guitarist after all, not a singer wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
May 6 2009, 12:54 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I learn to play the song at first, and when the song is "learned" than I start to sing while playing. But I rarely learn a song that I haven't know at all, so I am more or less familiar with the lyrics, before I start learning the song.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 6 2009, 01:35 PM
Instructor
I always learn the guitars first. I rarely read the lyrics or try to learn them, instead i play the vocal-melody on guitar.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
May 6 2009, 03:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jose Lassaga @ May 5 2009, 05:46 PM) *
I first learn the chords and form. Then I singing the lyric over the song. Each section separately. Little by little. See you smile.gif

I agree with Jose so...+1 laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:54 PM