Headroom?
Ibanex
Dec 13 2009, 04:31 AM
GMC:er
Hi GMCers!
I have done a lot of internet research lately on a couple of amps and I really fell in love with the Blackstar HT-5. But there is something I don't understand that I keep reading about it: The clean sound is good, but it needs more Headroom. (Something like that)
So my question is: What does headroom mean in this context?
Thanks in advance

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 13 2009, 12:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
In this case Headroom means the amount of volume you have left without distorting. As the Blackstar Ht-5 has only 5 watts you can crank it without it being too loud, for example for a gig in a cafe like I did with my Ht-5 combo...

I played it with max volume on this jam/gig and the clean channel started to distort at this volume. If it had more watts (headroom) I could have played it at this volume without the clean channel starting to distort.

The amp has a great clean channel but if you max out the volume (which would be far too loud for home use) then the clean channel starts to get dirty; with more watts it would stay clean for a longer time.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 13 2009, 04:41 PM
Instructor
I see it comes with a

Speaker emulated output with 1x12 or 4x12 voicing

nowadays everyone is doing that, I actually like emulation. The Peavey Joe Satriani model comes with line out, and he says he uses both signals on live shows, I tried it with the POD x3 and it sounds so full!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ibanex
Dec 14 2009, 10:09 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 13 2009, 12:38 PM) *
In this case Headroom means the amount of volume you have left without distorting. As the Blackstar Ht-5 has only 5 watts you can crank it without it being too loud, for example for a gig in a cafe like I did with my Ht-5 combo...

I played it with max volume on this jam/gig and the clean channel started to distort at this volume. If it had more watts (headroom) I could have played it at this volume without the clean channel starting to distort.

The amp has a great clean channel but if you max out the volume (which would be far too loud for home use) then the clean channel starts to get dirty; with more watts it would stay clean for a longer time.

Thanks a lot ZakkWylde for clearing things up.
Since I'll use the amp primarily in my apartment I guess this won't be an issue then.

QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 13 2009, 04:41 PM) *
I see it comes with a

nowadays everyone is doing that, I actually like emulation. The Peavey Joe Satriani model comes with line out, and he says he uses both signals on live shows, I tried it with the POD x3 and it sounds so full!

Thanks for mentioning the POD X3, that was exactly what I wanted to ask about next.
Since I am also intrested in buying a POD X3 Live I wanted to ask, if it would make sense to connect a POD to a Blackstar HT-5 (because of the amp/ cabinet modelling and stuff).
Also I wonder if it's possible to connect them using the 4 Cable Method.

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 14 2009, 07:51 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
You can connect the POD to an amp, but it will color it's sound. For an amp separate stomp boxes work better in my opinion.

I guess the 4 cable method means placing the POD in the effect loop, I guess you can do that as long as you plan using it as a effect unit disabling the amp modelling. Again, stomp boxes would probably work better.

POD is great to record, but nothing beats a real amp roaring. I mean a real amp + stomps is better to practice and hear your playing live, while the POD is a convenient gadget to record without the hassle of mics, etc.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 15 2009, 01:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ibanex @ Dec 13 2009, 04:31 AM) *
Hi GMCers!
I have done a lot of internet research lately on a couple of amps and I really fell in love with the Blackstar HT-5. But there is something I don't understand that I keep reading about it: The clean sound is good, but it needs more Headroom. (Something like that)
So my question is: What does headroom mean in this context?
Thanks in advance

Headroom is a term that is used throughout audio industry, for all kinds of devices. As zakk and others said, headroom is (very simply put) the amount of the non-clipped signal that an audio device can produce. Clipped signal on guitar amp means overdrive. As soon as you start to hear overdriven signal, this means the limit is breached. That limit represents the headroom limit. The space from 0 to that limit is the headroom (non clipped/clean signal) that the amp has.
Simple example:

if the amp starts to distort at volume 5 - it has small headroom
if the amp starts to distort at volume 9 - it has big headroom

QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 13 2009, 04:41 PM) *
I see it comes with a

It actually has line out on the JSX cab. From what I heard, it works pretty good. I listened to one gig with only line out from that cab (head was 6505+), and I didn't notice the difference. I though the cab was miced (it wasn't).

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Dec 15 2009, 01:18 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:09 PM