6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >  
Rap Isn't Music And Kurt Cobain Can't Play Guitar., Please convince me!
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 19 2008, 02:53 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Apr 19 2008, 04:16 AM) *
Kurt Cobain was awesome and a genious. His songwriting in my opinion was some of the best ever. Without Nirvana I wouldn't be playing guitar or listening to music as it was them that got me into music when I was really young smile.gif

+1 smile.gif

And as Rap is concerned. Its for the most part dead today, with some exceptions. There is no real poetry in it anymore. When Tupac was alive-was when Rap was at its prime. When Tupac died, Rap died with-it. Rap is basically poetry, tuned and modified so the people can relate to it. When Modern Rap came along- It spoke to the people in a different way, a way that wasnt exactly relating to them anymore. Well actually it might have been, but maybe for the wrong reasons.

If you dont like Rap, try some real rap, rap from the heart, try some Tupac- I can gurantee if you listen to this whole song youll have a different view on Rap.

Tupac ft. Sir Elton John- Ghetto Gospel

Tupac-Changes

Tupac-Dear Mamma

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Apr 19 2008, 03:00 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RandomVictim
Apr 19 2008, 03:16 PM
Nirvana's a great bad guys and deep down i think all of you know that. How many of you have NEVER played the opening riff to Smells like Teen Spirit...its almost a staple for guitar

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear

Guitars
Eric Johnson Sig Strat
Gibson SG Special
Esp Ltd EC-1000 deluxe
Larivee Acoustic
Takamine 12 String

Amps
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Line 6 Spider III HD75 head
Line 6 Spider III Cab with C30 speakers
Vox AD30
Marshall MG10

Pedals
Line 6 Pod X3
Slash Sig Wah
Dan Electro Cool Cat Chorus
Dan Electro FAB Echo
BB PREAMP!
Boss MT-2
FBV Express

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Apr 19 2008, 03:30 PM
QUOTE (RandomVictim @ Apr 19 2008, 06:16 AM) *
Nirvana's a great bad guys and deep down i think all of you know that. How many of you have NEVER played the opening riff to Smells like Teen Spirit...its almost a staple for guitar

+1 smile.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Apr 19 2008, 03:46 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rHVziQ-tMGM

Now that's good rap!
Iron Man cover by Sir Mixalot! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 19 2008, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Interesting thread! For me Kurt Cobain was a great songwriter and just a punk rock guitar player. I think that he was a better singer than guitar player.

About Rap and Hip Hop: I discovered that when it's not mivxed with music I get bored when I listen to rap. I like Kid Rock and some thing of EMINEM beacuse they mix rap with nice rock/pop chorus. And that's why I also like RATM.

Gabriel.-

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 19 2008, 08:33 PM
GMC Founder
Since important posts get lost in big topics I'll repost my resolution post (just as with music - cool conversations are always about tension and resolution, in my opinion!)

------------------------------

A little defence in case anyone should think I am against rap music or Cobain.

One of my hip hop songs. (Not many real instruments but I still enjoyed it alot)

My tribute to Kurt Cobain

Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman33
Apr 20 2008, 02:49 AM
i agree with gabriel about kurt cobain, but i do believe rap is music if you find the good stuff

--------------------

+Quote Post
swingline
Apr 20 2008, 03:44 AM
Cobain is a great song writer but definitely not a legendary guitarist. (Even though he is the 12th best guitarist of all time according to Rolling Stone Rolling Stone Article) Hes like Tom Petty great music but not super hard guitar in it. But I get a kick out of how when Axl was with Guns and Roses he asked him to open for them, but Cobain claimed that they were just a bunch of untalented musicians.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
ballistic31
Apr 20 2008, 05:19 AM
well all i know is this rap sells big time lol ......I stand to say most woman,, chicks, girls , or however you want to say it,, give them a handfull of cds 1 metal a rap cd a rock cd and a country.......with in a week look what cds they have in there changers in the car ........most likely the rap and the country,,main reason they can dance to it lol ..That and they love pimped out rides.....and i have yet to hear Srv or slayer blareing out of anyone of them lol....It more like start an eathquake with that kicked up bass .......and light up the road with nitros.....

I think as far as opra..Its way to hard to understand what they are singing. in a way its kind of like rap with a dude or woman with some killer pipes......screaming at the top of there lungs like a death metal singer..But allways make for killer songs in movies right before someone gets murdered. lol ...As far and good old Kurt cobain he had to play a gig in heaven..he found a way to get there but he didnt think it out very well,,,,,,,cause once he got there he was like damit smooth move how the hell and i going to get back ...........I thought everybody new that lol

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Apr 20 2008, 06:57 AM
Instructor
Kurt Cobain was a mastermind when it came to making brilliant songs out of the simplest guitarbits.
And having Dave Grohl on drums really gave these simple guitars a huge push.

As for rap.. i like Weird Al's rapsongs smile.gif
I thought your rap song was kinda catchy too, Kris smile.gif I take it your not the one singing? .. If so, then i'm hugely impressed with your norwegian ohmy.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Apr 20 2008, 08:14 AM
Reggae music is definetly worth listening to....Bob Marley,....reggae went on to spawn great bands such as the slackers, less than jake, Mad Caddies, anything SKA!

biggrin.gif

and WHO can deny music so chilled, and so happy? It's awesome stuff, imho.

Rap used to be music. Heiruspecs, Sage Francis...etc...
check out this song, remix of Sage Francis mixed with Dashboard Confessionals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGiJ8XxmtWU

This kind of rap, I can definetly listen to....but Akon?, 50 Cent?, Notorious B.I.G?, Fat Joe? Fabricated wannabees. Rap is going through the fabrication stage. Just like Pop, and Punk rock did only a few years ago...remember when punk rock was awesome? When Blink-182 and Greenday and Sum 41 were new?...what happened? Record labels saw a fad coming, and COMPLETELY exploited these bands...when they started losing hype, new bands were needed and what came out was half-hearted, crappy, typical teenage "rawk" anthems like Avril, McFly, Busted....meh.

Right now, Rap sucks...it is fabricated and over-produced...it sells, it makes money, and that's all there is to it at the moment. Rap could be good...just not now.

As for Kurt...he's a legend in my book, just like the old Tom DeLonge biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Paul Coutts: Apr 20 2008, 08:15 AM

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 20 2008, 11:04 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I don't really differenciate between rap, pop, rock, metal, opera or whatever other genre, I differenciate between songs I like and songs I don't like. If a song has the power to catch me, in whatever way, then I couldn't care less if it is rap, rock or whatever else, then it is just a good song. Of course there are genres that I don't really like, which means there are not really a lot of songs in that genre that attract me, but still I don't really like to bash this whole genre. If you really explore a type of music I am sure that you will always be able to find some good artists, even in Rap wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 20 2008, 01:35 PM
Moderation Policy Director
^^^^^

laugh.gif Thats the kind of thinking I can agree with - my premise is that the top 1% of ANY genre is worth listening to even if you don't like the rest - you will always learn something and probably like it if it is the very best that genre has to offer. For me, a problem is identifying that 1% without listening to all of it wink.gif LIke Marucs, I will listen to any song if it inspires me in some way.

Oh, and yes, I do have a Bob Marley album and listen to it occasionally, for me, he IS in that top 1% of Reggae, the rest however appeals to me less ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Apr 20 2008, 01:38 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Apr 20 2008, 01:35 PM) *
^^^^^

laugh.gif Thats the kind of thinking I can agree with - my premise is that the top 1% of ANY genre is worth listening to even if you don't like the rest - you will always learn something and probably like it if it is the very best that genre has to offer. For me, a problem is identifying that 1% without listening to all of it wink.gif LIke Marucs, I will listen to any song if it inspires me in some way.

Oh, and yes, I do have a Bob Marley album and listen to it occasionally, for me, he IS in that top 1% of Reggae, the rest however appeals to me less ...

The bottom 1% of any genre shows how not to play lol biggrin.gif

Can also be useful for a laugh smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 20 2008, 01:47 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Paul Coutts @ Apr 19 2008, 11:14 PM) *
and WHO can deny music so chilled, and so happy? It's awesome stuff, imho.

Oddly enough, thats why i cant get into Reggae, its TOO happy. laugh.gif

I dont know, It sounds weird, but to me, Theres a difference between Happy Music and music that makes you happy smile.gif

+Quote Post
Chiruki
Apr 20 2008, 02:06 PM
Rap Is Poetry made with a music background smile.gif ..

--------------------
Your life is never ruined, unless you make yourself believe it's ruined.

+Quote Post
at lights end
Apr 20 2008, 02:25 PM
i think some rap is alright, a lot of new rappers are awful though.
i love these guys though, rap metal that works a lot better than limp bizcit.

Stuck Mojo
http://www.myspace.com/stuckinthemojo

QUOTE (Chiruki @ Apr 20 2008, 01:06 PM) *
Rap Is Poetry made with a music background smile.gif ..

not many shakespeares around anymore.

i love kris' hip hop, sounds pretty cool in norweigan.

This post has been edited by at lights end: Apr 20 2008, 03:25 PM

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
rokchik
Apr 21 2008, 01:44 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (ballistic31 @ Apr 20 2008, 01:19 AM) *
well all i know is this rap sells big time lol ......I stand to say most woman,, chicks, girls , or however you want to say it,, give them a handfull of cds 1 metal a rap cd a rock cd and a country.......with in a week look what cds they have in there changers in the car ........most likely the rap and the country,,main reason they can dance to it lol ..That and they love pimped out rides.....and i have yet to hear Srv or slayer blareing out of anyone of them lol....It more like start an eathquake with that kicked up bass .......and light up the road with nitros.....

I think as far as opra..Its way to hard to understand what they are singing. in a way its kind of like rap with a dude or woman with some killer pipes......screaming at the top of there lungs like a death metal singer..But allways make for killer songs in movies right before someone gets murdered. lol ...As far and good old Kurt cobain he had to play a gig in heaven..he found a way to get there but he didnt think it out very well,,,,,,,cause once he got there he was like damit smooth move how the hell and i going to get back ...........I thought everybody new that lol

When I saw this thread and started reading through, I realized that Kris was trying to ignite some useful debate on the "is rap actually music?" and "does Cobain deserve the credit?" arguments. There are some great discussions here giving reasons for both sides of each argument. When it comes to music people are very passionate about what they like and what they don't so it's interesting to read the different points of view. Some may be more insightful then others but for the most part all the arguments are sound. Then I read the above post.....

I normally try to take everything with a grain of salt, but ballistic31 your generalization of women is the most ignorant thing I ever read. I'm not gonna speak for all the women here at GMC, as I would never presume that their views are the same as mine but I find your comments pretty offensive. How is this an argument for "is rap actually music" Are you trying to say that because women like it, it can't be music? And by saying that are you also implying that women cannot appreciate music unless we can dance to it? Cause that is how I took your comments.

You may have stated it as "Most women" but dude, I can assure you that this generalization is as narrow minded as the generalization that metal is just a means to promote satan worship and violence. (sorry metal fans needed a reference smile.gif I don't agree with that generalization either ) I pride myself on the fact that I enjoy many types of music. I feel that to limit myself to only one genre I may miss out on something I may truly enjoy. My cd collection has everything from Mozart to Eminem, The Three Tenors to SLAYER!!!!!!!! On any given day you can look in my truck and find a vast array of music and unless it's Johnny Cash you will not find a country cd among them. I play my music loud, but to quote KISS, I love it loud. Currently in my cd changer there is Flogging Molly, The Tragically Hip, Children of Bodom, Rob Zombie and The Phantom of the Opera soundtrack. Last time I checked Children of Bodom wasn't really made to dance too.

As for the 'pimped out ride' comment and your view on Opera and Cobain, well I'm not even going to dignify them with a discussion. Not even sure if I should have even dignified your post with a reply. I apologize for my brashness but my blood is pretty boiled right now. ballastic31 I don't want to attack you, and your opinion is your opinion, but your comments did put me on the defensive pretty quick.

rok

This post has been edited by rokchik: Apr 21 2008, 01:58 AM

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Apr 21 2008, 02:30 AM
Opera is awsome, hard to understand.. usually because its in different langauges regardless of where it is being preformed.. Opera is cool because other than being songs they are telling a story, and opera is not only a "concert" but a play as well.. knowing the story really helps you enjoy opera. As for rap music.. i agree with comments that regard it in a "fabrication state" when music is being exploited it goes down hill, becomes main stream, blah blah blah.. there is rap music that is indeed "poetry to a beat" This is good, i don't mind this, eminem did a good job, the streets.. i don't know too many others.. kurt was w/e

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 21 2008, 10:01 AM
Instructor
I have listened to rap and grunge back in grade school/high school when it was decent music. Today rap does not exist in its original and pure form. The same goes for grunge - no differences between these two.

Another thing that is the same is the effect these two genres had on further development of music as we know it today, along side other genres.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 21 2008, 10:02 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:31 AM