2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Tone Testing New Pod
bleez
Jun 6 2015, 08:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I got a pod hd500x, had it about a week so I have a few days left to decide if Im keeping it or returning it. Im not very experienced at dialling in tones so there's a big learning curve but I could do with some opinions on the basic tone Ive been trying to create.
I was trying to get a bluesy rock type of tone. I would really love to get a sound like this dude has -

his lead kicks in around the 18 second mark. This tone is for sale and I would just buy it but I know it wont sound like that when I play through it.

I tried to get something similar and also add in an overdrive to boost the lead when more rawk is required wink.gif
I didn't really come close but Id love to get feedback on how I could improve it, I dont really know what to tweak anymore!
Here it is on its own with no backing, first the basic tone and the overdrive kicked on at 0.30.

what do you guys reckon, my tone doesn't really 'sing' like the dude in the vid. any thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jun 6 2015, 10:46 PM
GMC Founder
I think your tone sounded great. I am not sure his was so much better, though the comparison is unfair since he has a backing.

To get more 'singiness' i would first boost the input signal,mpreferably with a pure booster that just makes you guitar pickups hotter.

Reverb/delay can also give the singy effect, but keep it short and subtle.

Finally a midrange scoop can give the impression of a more fluid tone, but this is dangerous territory as you're mostly fooling your ears. Gentle scoops are nice though and can 'open up' your sound and make it easier to play fluid lines.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 6 2015, 10:59 PM
GMC:er
I don't know the processor, but if I had to tweak your tone to his I'd probably start with decreasing your gain (probably amp first if there's overdrive) and as post eq (after the cab., if not possible after the amp as the eq shouldn't hit any saturation/overdrive) increase 2-3khz range and lower the overall output.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 7 2015, 02:22 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 6 2015, 07:15 PM) *
I got a pod hd500x, had it about a week so I have a few days left to decide if Im keeping it or returning it. Im not very experienced at dialling in tones so there's a big learning curve but I could do with some opinions on the basic tone Ive been trying to create.
I was trying to get a bluesy rock type of tone. I would really love to get a sound like this dude has -

his lead kicks in around the 18 second mark. This tone is for sale and I would just buy it but I know it wont sound like that when I play through it.

I tried to get something similar and also add in an overdrive to boost the lead when more rawk is required wink.gif
I didn't really come close but Id love to get feedback on how I could improve it, I dont really know what to tweak anymore!
Here it is on its own with no backing, first the basic tone and the overdrive kicked on at 0.30.

what do you guys reckon, my tone doesn't really 'sing' like the dude in the vid. any thoughts?

I also have a 500x. It's pretty easy to use. Did you download the pod program for the desktop, you can tweak all the setting without having to reach for the pod.
And did you learn how to use left and right amp models to mix the different amp and cab models?
I start by finding the amp and cab combination I like first before adding any effects, the cabs have a huge impact on tone by the way.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 7 2015, 01:13 AM) *
I also have a 500x. It's pretty easy to use. Did you download the pod program for the desktop, you can tweak all the setting without having to reach for the pod.
And did you learn how to use left and right amp models to mix the different amp and cab models?
I start by finding the amp and cab combination I like first before adding any effects, the cabs have a huge impact on tone by the way. And be sure to set the pod for direct, I think it's called that if I remeber correctly, may be wrong, there are setting for what your using the pod for, in front of combo, stack, or recording. It's all in the beginning of the manual

This post has been edited by dcz702: Jun 7 2015, 02:16 AM

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 7 2015, 04:16 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 6 2015, 07:15 PM) *

And by the way I think your tone is very good. And it will only get easier to find what your looking for as you get more comfortable with the pod.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 7 2015, 04:58 AM
Hehehe wink.gif Small world!! The guy who's tone you like is the dude from CHOPTONES smile.gif I have been working with them building "METAL/BRUTAL" Preset packs for the 11 rack. Building great patches is just like building great guitar solos. Takes wads and wads and wads of time.

If you keep your line 6 you will eventually be able to knock out patches like that in your sleep. But it's a process. The quickest way would be to buy the choptones patch bank, find out how they build theirs and tweak it to your taste smile.gif

Without seeing how he built that patch, here are some things to try. (just in general)
1.)go easy on the amp gain/drive.
* this is the first mistake folks make. It muds up the tone.
* Use a low/mid gain amp and use very little gain on the boost. The line 6 amp models are notorious for turning to mud when you even look at the gain knob.

2.)experiement with cabs/mics
*this is the most overlooked part of tone tweaking in my experience.

3.)Use double rigs
*you can set one rig a bit cleaner and mix it in for clarity.

BTW your tone isn't bad at all and honestly that patch would get downloaded by many folks if you share it on the line 6 forum smile.gif
Also, are you using the software interface to build patches? Its wads easier than squinting at the pod screen. smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 6 2015, 03:15 PM) *

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 7 2015, 02:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for the input smile.gif I tried to make a few tweaks based on the suggestions. Although there a couple of things, I dont really know what a midrange scoop actually means ph34r.gif and also adjusting frequencies is another part Im not sure how to do. I have an EQ in the chain but it's switched off as I didnt know what to do with it!

Here's a quick demo of the current tone with a backing -
https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/tonetest2

here's a screen shot of the chain and amp settings -
[attachment=42154:chain.jpg]
[attachment=42155:amps.jpg]

So far Im actually quite pleased with it smile.gif but do you guys hear anything that could be fixed, tbh Im not even sure I have the effects in the best order.
also, do you think it sits in the mix okay?

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 7 2015, 08:58 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 7 2015, 01:21 PM) *
Thanks for the input smile.gif I tried to make a few tweaks based on the suggestions. Although there a couple of things, I dont really know what a midrange scoop actually means ph34r.gif and also adjusting frequencies is another part Im not sure how to do. I have an EQ in the chain but it's switched off as I didnt know what to do with it!

Here's a quick demo of the current tone with a backing -
https://soundcloud.com/bleez666/tonetest2

here's a screen shot of the chain and amp settings -
[attachment=42154:chain.jpg]
[attachment=42155:amps.jpg]

So far Im actually quite pleased with it smile.gif but do you guys hear anything that could be fixed, tbh Im not even sure I have the effects in the best order.
also, do you think it sits in the mix okay?

I think your tone is very good maybe lay off the gain just a bit. The pod is a pretty awesome processor. Sounds great bleez.
Like you I don't know what all the eq shit means either I just turn knobs and listen for such one removed the frequencies I'm trying to cut out or increase, but I'll be reading this thread for the pros to chime in so we both can learn something.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 8 2015, 12:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 7 2015, 08:58 PM) *
I think your tone is very good maybe lay off the gain just a bit. The pod is a pretty awesome processor. Sounds great bleez.
Like you I don't know what all the eq shit means either I just turn knobs and listen for such one removed the frequencies I'm trying to cut out or increase, but I'll be reading this thread for the pros to chime in so we both can learn something.

thanks dude.
yeah, you're probably right about the gain. I always use too much gain and/or distortion. I think its because Im trying to get some decent sustain, there's probably a better way to achieve it but Im not too sure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 8 2015, 01:03 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 8 2015, 11:54 AM) *
thanks dude.
yeah, you're probably right about the gain. I always use too much gain and/or distortion. I think its because Im trying to get some decent sustain, there's probably a better way to achieve it but Im not too sure.

Try the compressor.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 9 2015, 07:32 AM
THe EQ might be simpler if you picked a GRAPHIC EQ (Is that one of your fx options?) instead of Parametric. If you pick a graphic EQ, if one is available, you just move the sliders to make a "smiley face" and that's a mid range scoop smile.gif

LINE 6 POD HD OWNERS JUMP IN HERE!!!! smile.gif

One the 11 Rack you can use either graphic eq (sliders) or parametric eq (knobs). The graphic is probably the most simple eq for folks new to EQ. I'm sure there are some line 6 folks around that can pitch in here.

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 8 2015, 07:54 AM) *
thanks dude.

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 9 2015, 08:23 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 9 2015, 07:32 AM) *
THe EQ might be simpler if you picked a GRAPHIC EQ (Is that one of your fx options?) instead of Parametric. If you pick a graphic EQ, if one is available, you just move the sliders to make a "smiley face" and that's a mid range scoop smile.gif

One the 11 Rack you can use either graphic eq (sliders) or parametric eq (knobs). The graphic is probably the most simple eq for folks new to EQ. I'm sure there are some line 6 folks around that can pitch in here.

yeah, there is a Graphic EQ available smile.gif Ive not tried it yet but I'll give a go, cheers.
This is all the EQs listed in the model -

Graphic EQ
Parametric EQ
Studio EQ
4 Band Shift EQ
Mid Focus EQ
Vintage Pre

you can also adjust SAG, Low Cut and Thump parameters - none of which I am familiar with as yet cool.gif

This post has been edited by bleez: Jun 9 2015, 08:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 10 2015, 02:51 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 9 2015, 06:32 AM) *

do you mean you can see the curve of the EQ? on the pod you just turn knobs cant see the curve like you can in logic. i would like to know how to use the eq properly also. i just turn shit till it sounds good laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 10 2015, 03:24 AM
Well, the GRAPHIC part in graphic eq typically yields an e.g. with some sliders on it (though not an absolute truth) just like the graphic / slider EQ on the sooooooooo lovely (making me want to sell my kidney) MESA MARK MINI

Attached Image

Here is a quick vid on EQ. It's inside a daw but hopefully the concepts make some sense smile.gif We can hear roughly 20hz (low bass) to about 20khz (high pitched whine) and eq just varies the amount of boost or cut at any given frequency from low to high smile.gif

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 9 2015, 09:51 PM) *
do you mean you can see the curve of the EQ? on the pod you just turn knobs cant see the curve like you can in logic. i would like to know how to use the eq properly also. i just turn shit till it sounds good laugh.gif

There it is smile.gif The graphic eq should do fine. It may have knobs instead of sliders but hopefully they work like a graphic should. IN a graphic eq each knob/slder has a set frequency value. E.G. Set a 120hz (bass) or something. And by turning the knob/slider, lower, you reduce the amount of volume at that particular frequency. I also replied with a youtube vid that might help smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 9 2015, 03:23 AM) *
yeah, there is a Graphic EQ available smile.gif Ive not tried it yet but I'll give a go, cheers.
This is all the EQs listed in the model -

Graphic EQ
Parametric EQ
Studio EQ
4 Band Shift EQ
Mid Focus EQ
Vintage Pre

you can also adjust SAG, Low Cut and Thump parameters - none of which I am familiar with as yet cool.gif

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 10 2015, 03:49 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 10 2015, 02:24 AM) *
Well, the GRAPHIC part in graphic eq typically yields an e.g. with some sliders on it (though not an absolute truth) just like the graphic / slider EQ on the sooooooooo lovely (making me want to sell my kidney) MESA MARK MINI

Attached Image

Here is a quick vid on EQ. It's inside a daw but hopefully the concepts make some sense smile.gif We can hear roughly 20hz (low bass) to about 20khz (high pitched whine) and eq just varies the amount of boost or cut at any given frequency from low to high smile.gif

There it is smile.gif The graphic eq should do fine. It may have knobs instead of sliders but hopefully they work like a graphic should. IN a graphic eq each knob/slder has a set frequency value. E.G. Set a 120hz (bass) or something. And by turning the knob/slider, lower, you reduce the amount of volume at that particular frequency. I also replied with a youtube vid that might help smile.gif

i love love love that amp!!!
i watched a demo on it, and its a amazing amp!! i may try to sell my mini rec for that.
back to graphic EQ this is what it lloks like for the pod

This post has been edited by dcz702: Jun 10 2015, 04:53 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 10 2015, 07:43 PM
Got it smile.gif They are just using knobs instead of sliders. The values for which range is being affected is pre set for each knob (e.g bass/mid/upper mid/etc.) so you are turning the knob to get either boost (louder) or cut (reduction)

Think of each knob as a slider. negative value for cut, positive value for boost. MID SCOOP would mean putting a negative value on the knobs in the middle with the knob closest to middle having more cut than the others. On a slider based graphic eq this would look like a smiley face. Just like on the picture of the Mark Mini smile.gif

Those are just killer amps aren't they? I have yet to spend any time with one but I'd really like to wink.gif

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 9 2015, 10:49 PM) *
i love love love that amp!!!
i watched a demo on it, and its a amazing amp!! i may try to sell my mini rec for that.
back to graphic EQ this is what it lloks like for the pod

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 10 2015, 10:05 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 10 2015, 06:43 PM) *
Got it smile.gif They are just using knobs instead of sliders. The values for which range is being affected is pre set for each knob (e.g bass/mid/upper mid/etc.) so you are turning the knob to get either boost (louder) or cut (reduction)

Think of each knob as a slider. negative value for cut, positive value for boost. MID SCOOP would mean putting a negative value on the knobs in the middle with the knob closest to middle having more cut than the others. On a slider based graphic eq this would look like a smiley face. Just like on the picture of the Mark Mini smile.gif

Those are just killer amps aren't they? I have yet to spend any time with one but I'd really like to wink.gif

Thanks Todd. My ears tell me what they do but have no idea on what there called, like mid scoop, now I do.
The settings I have in the picture where to decrease the low end and bring up the treble or would you say highs?
What about the last 2 knobs that say 1 kHz and 2 kHz?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 10 2015, 10:43 PM
I think there are 5 knobs? Put the middle knobs negative put the outer knobs positive. Use more or less/pos/neg to taste and bingo mid schoop smile.gif You are just scooping or lowering the mids.

Here is a quick reference on EQ for guitar. Of course, folks will probably post that it's ALL CRAZY but it a good reference imho smile.gif

Electric
In general, I find a light hand with broad strokes to be most effective on electric guitar, if any EQ is applied at all other than some filtering. If you do decide to go hunting, however:

• 80 to 90 Hz and below - Mud: Lose it, crush it with your HP filter. There's pretty much nothing useful down here, and it will almost always just equate to flabbiness and noise in your tone
  • 150 to 200 Hz - Thickness: This is where the "guts" of a guitar normally come from, but again, can quickly cloud a mix on you. Use sparingly, perhaps automate to add sweetness to a solo section or an exposed part, and then tuck it away when things thicken up again
  • 300 to 1,000 Hz - Life: I call this the "life" of the electric, as many of the things that make an electric sound like an electric live in this range. So attenuating needs to be taken into consideration carefully. Too much though, and you start fighting with your snare and things like that, so take note
  • 1,000 to 2,000 Hz - Honk: This is where honky and harsh characteristics can usually be smoothed out with a wide cut centered somewhere in this range
  • 3,000 to 8,000 Hz - Brilliance and Presence: This is the range that can add shimmer or allow a guitar to cut through a mix when boosted. It can also be where you make cuts to keep a guitar from conflicting with a vocal. If making boosts in this range, keep an eye (ear?) out for noise, as any noise present from distortion/effects pedals will very quickly be accentuated as well

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 10 2015, 05:05 PM) *
Thanks Todd. My ears tell me what they do but have no idea on what there called, like mid scoop, now I do.
The settings I have in the picture where to decrease the low end and bring up the treble or would you say highs?
What about the last 2 knobs that say 1 kHz and 2 kHz?

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 11 2015, 12:23 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 10 2015, 09:43 PM) *
I think there are 5 knobs? Put the middle knobs negative put the outer knobs positive. Use more or less/pos/neg to taste and bingo mid schoop smile.gif You are just scooping or lowering the mids.

Here is a quick reference on EQ for guitar. Of course, folks will probably post that it's ALL CRAZY but it a good reference imho smile.gif

Electric
In general, I find a light hand with broad strokes to be most effective on electric guitar, if any EQ is applied at all other than some filtering. If you do decide to go hunting, however:

• 80 to 90 Hz and below - Mud: Lose it, crush it with your HP filter. There's pretty much nothing useful down here, and it will almost always just equate to flabbiness and noise in your tone
  • 150 to 200 Hz - Thickness: This is where the "guts" of a guitar normally come from, but again, can quickly cloud a mix on you. Use sparingly, perhaps automate to add sweetness to a solo section or an exposed part, and then tuck it away when things thicken up again
  • 300 to 1,000 Hz - Life: I call this the "life" of the electric, as many of the things that make an electric sound like an electric live in this range. So attenuating needs to be taken into consideration carefully. Too much though, and you start fighting with your snare and things like that, so take note
  • 1,000 to 2,000 Hz - Honk: This is where honky and harsh characteristics can usually be smoothed out with a wide cut centered somewhere in this range
  • 3,000 to 8,000 Hz - Brilliance and Presence: This is the range that can add shimmer or allow a guitar to cut through a mix when boosted. It can also be where you make cuts to keep a guitar from conflicting with a vocal. If making boosts in this range, keep an eye (ear?) out for noise, as any noise present from distortion/effects pedals will very quickly be accentuated as well

Thanks for the reference.
But now I'm confused.
As you can see from my screen shot there are knobs that are labeled 80hz, 120hz, and 240 hz.
Each knob increases or decreases the db of each frequency.
So what I got from the reference you posted that 80-90hz is mud, so would I try turning the knob all the way down? When I do that it completely cuts the low frequencies.
I think I'm just gonna add the graphic eq to all my patches and not bother with the others till I understand it.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 11 2015, 04:48 AM
If you only have 3 parameters, you can't really afford to kill one. The reference was more general. If you have a nice parametic eq or a full 10,20, 30 band graphic eq, you can kill 90hz with no problem and just kill 90hz.

With only three knobs/sliders on a graphic eq, you can't get away with that. If you wanted a scoop, you'd turn the middle knob down and the left/right knobs up smile.gif

With a parametric eq you get a knob to select a given frequency (say 90hz) then you get a knob for boost/cut, and another knob for for "CUE" or focus. The last knob determines if the cut / boost is very tight (just 90hz) or very loose (like a big bell curve dragging other frequencies with it)

WIth the reference I posted, your better off using something a bit more capable than a 3 band eq. PIck a better eq option with more variability and then follow the reference smile.gif The "MUD" can go away if you have control of the rest of the signal. But if you pull down 90hz and pull everything near by with it, as would happen if you only have 3 bands, you'll just get thin sound. No good. sad.gif

One thing with high gain sounds is that you want to trim the low end BEFORE the gain stage to tighten it up if you want a modern heavy sound. Otherwise, there is so much mud that its just flubby sounding, like stoner metal/sludge/orange amps with no pre eq etc.

Your best option might be the STUDIO EQ to better allow yourself more flexibility to try what's in the reference above. I found this web site with a really spiff description of getting good hard rock tones on all the EQs in line 6 pod. I had a POD XT once and tried every patch, every EQ and simply could not cut the mud out of the high gain tones so I had to get rid of it. sad.gif

http://www.foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/eq#effects-studio
Here is a pic of my old pod smile.gif
Attached Image

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jun 10 2015, 07:23 PM) *
Thanks for the reference.
But now I'm confused.
As you can see from my screen shot there are knobs that are labeled 80hz, 120hz, and 240 hz.
Each knob increases or decreases the db of each frequency.
So what I got from the reference you posted that 80-90hz is mud, so would I try turning the knob all the way down? When I do that it completely cuts the low frequencies.
I think I'm just gonna add the graphic eq to all my patches and not bother with the others till I understand it.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 11 2015, 05:05 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:27 AM