Black Sabbath First Influence
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 20 2012, 02:50 PM
Instructor
Hello guys! I started watching the documental series called "Metal Evolution", and I was really amazed when Geezer Butler explained how they composed the song "Black Sabbath". He said that he was trying to play this classical piece, and while Tony Iomi was trying to learn the notes too, the riff appeared.

Did you know this?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
Ben Higgins
Nov 20 2012, 03:10 PM
Instructor
Mars - Bringer of War ! What a great piece.

I had heard about Tony and Geezer playing those notes accidentally but I did not know about Geezer trying to play a classical piece !! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 20 2012, 03:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 20 2012, 11:10 AM) *
Mars - Bringer of War ! What a great piece.

I had heard about Tony and Geezer playing those notes accidentally but I did not know about Geezer trying to play a classical piece !! smile.gif

yeah, that's what he said in the series... smile.gif

by the way, you have to watch it! it's an amazing documentary.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 8 2012, 02:27 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
this has been on tv here every week and I watched episode 10 - power metal tonight. Marcus was on it..... quite a lot!
That's probably not all that surprising considering that BG are such a big band but when he first appeared on it giving an interview I didnt think "okay, they are interviewing the guitarist of a prominent power metal band" no.... my first reaction was : "hey, there's Marcus from GMC" LOL!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Dec 8 2012, 03:49 AM
GMC:er
No I didn't know that, but it makes sense. I think I've heard that before that metal stems from some of the heavier classical like Wagner and Beethoven. I'm not comparing myself to Geezer (personal hero) but I too have found influence in the classics...

About a million years ago when I was in a band I was trying to figure out Chopin's Sonata No. 2 in B Flat Minor -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ido55uT5U0k

and I came up with the riff for our song, 'Wallachia' -
http://www.theoblongbox.com/oblongbox_new.swf

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 9 2012, 03:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 7 2012, 10:27 PM) *
this has been on tv here every week and I watched episode 10 - power metal tonight. Marcus was on it..... quite a lot!
That's probably not all that surprising considering that BG are such a big band but when he first appeared on it giving an interview I didnt think "okay, they are interviewing the guitarist of a prominent power metal band" no.... my first reaction was : "hey, there's Marcus from GMC" LOL!

wou! that's very cool! Marcus from GMC! biggrin.gif I haven't seen this episode yet!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:29 PM