Newbie Intro.
jawilco
Sep 28 2011, 11:53 PM
GMC:er
Hello All,

I would like to thank Cosmin Lupu for his kind welcome, and introduce myself as a new member of this site.

Recently I’ve been interested in the theory of music, geometry of the guitar fretboard, and application of some of the nuggets of information gleaned from various sites on the internet.
There is a lot of info out there that has helped me a lot.
My current goal is modal playing.

The players I like are:
Shawn Lane
Paul Gilbert
Steve Vai
George Harrison
Stevie Ray
Chuck Berry
Mark Knopfler
Eric Clapton
To name a few.

I’m happy to have found this site. I’ve looked at a few posts and found some interesting stuff already. Thanks to those who came before me and asked the questions already.

Looking forward to learning a thing or two.
Jim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blister
Sep 28 2011, 11:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Welcome to GMC, Jim! smile.gif The most addicting guitar site on the net!

Gary

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Sep 29 2011, 12:18 AM
Learning Roadie
Welcome! Gary said it right! It's addictive. I'm all the time on the forum, even.

Brandon

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 29 2011, 03:40 AM
Instructor
yeah man Shawn Lane piece of cake....heheh, that guy to me is in another planet/dimension/species

Welcome and I hope you can grow the most as a player here! let us know if we can help you!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Sep 29 2011, 03:56 AM
Instructor
welcome to the site man, i'm sure you are going to have some fun over here!
what lesson are you practicing currently?

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 29 2011, 10:27 AM
Instructor
Welcome aboard Jim, glad you joined the site. If you have some observations about fretboard geometry or theory, let us know, so we can discuss about it, that seems like an interesting point of view.

What are you working on atm? smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Sep 29 2011, 10:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Welcome mate smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JD_
Sep 29 2011, 11:01 AM
Learning Roadie
Welcome aboard mate....addictive indeed....

Good Luck with your playing.

What sort of guitar do you have?

Cheers

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 29 2011, 12:22 PM
Welcome to GMC! This really is MECCA for guitar players smile.gif Try to jump in on the Live Video Chat lessons as well and ask lots of questions! I teach one every Saturday @10PM GMT. Stop by! smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 29 2011, 12:29 PM
Instructor
Hello and welcome Jim! smile.gif I am glad you decided to let the community know that you are here!

I see you have quite a list there biggrin.gif well, I'm planning on my next v-chat session and I thought some modal licks would be interesting (next Thursday) as for today, we shall be discussing on bending and vibrato basics smile.gif

See you around the forum and never forget that we are here to help, so go on and ask whatever you'd like to know smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 29 2011, 04:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Jim and welcome to the site smile.gif

I'm sure Cosmin's told you already but be sure to try and check the video chats if you can. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 29 2011, 11:59 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC, Jim !

--------------------

+Quote Post
jawilco
Oct 2 2011, 08:15 AM
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Sep 29 2011, 10:59 PM) *
Welcome to GMC, Jim !
Thank you all for your kind welcome.

Adrian,
Currently I’m trying to hear the modes. I was doing well with Locrian at one point but seem to have somehow fallen by the wayside. I just don’t hear it for some reason, that is to say that my playing isn’t revealing the flavor of the modes the way as well as I’d hoped.

Jaxn4,
I have a 57 Fender Strat reproduction, An Ibanez that I put together from eBay parts, and a Martin Acoustic. I use a line 6 program on my Mac and Garage Band. I also use a Roland guitar synth.

Cosmin,
I will certainly try to plug in on Thursday. Thanks again.

Ivan,
Two books that are worth their weight in gold IMHO are Advanced Modern Rock Guitar Improvisation by Jon Finn, and Fretboard Logic by Bill Edwards. From these books and from a youtube series of instruction I learned the shapes within the shapes of the caged system, and the shapes of the modes. The shapes of the modes as presented by Jon Finn were three notes per string. He points out the overlap between modes in all directions of the fretboard. After I had practiced the modal shapes for some time I noticed that there are three basic shapes that repeat themselves and reveal all the modes.

It gets a little tricky but I’ll try to explain. (tricky for me anyway)
If you condense the modes into three notes per string but exclude the 7th note of the mode, you have shapes that are as follows.
Ionian
4-5-6
1-2-3
Dorian
5-6-7
2-34
Phrygian
6-71
34-5
Lydian
71-2
4-5-6
Mixolydian
1-2-3
5-6-7
Aeolian
2-34
6-71
Locrian
34-5
71-2
The modes flow incrementally up the fretboard, fret 1, 2, 3 etc., but decrementally across the fretboard (low e to high e ) viewed three notes per string with two strings only.
In other words if I put the Aeolian mode, and Locrian mode and the Ionian mode beside each other across the fretboard they join together to form a scale.
to form a major Ionian scale.

2-34
6-71

34-5
71-2

4-5-6
1-2-3

This works with each adjoining mode.

But what happens if you condense.
If you start with the locrian, then the Aeolian, you borrow the first two notes from Mixolidian and voila you have a repeating pattern that uses only three patterns.
So in essence there are only three main shapes to be concerned with that can be split to use either half or used to begin a scale at any point you wish.
The shapes are the Locrian, Aeolian, and the 5-6 of the Mixolydian.

Example

The Ionian and Locrian share the same shape

e)71-2
cool.gif5-6
g)2-34
d)6-71
a)34-5
e)71-2

But notice that the high E string matches the low E string.
If you had a guitar that had a seventh string you would add the 34-5 to the pattern on your new a string to continue your scale, and so on and so on.

The Phrygian and Lydian also share the same shape.
They are the second half of the Locrian shape, just as the Dorian shape is the second half of the Aeolian shape.
34-5
71-2
5-6
2-34
6-71
34-5

The Aeolian

6-71
34-5
71-2
5-6
2-34
6-71

The Dorian
2-34
6-71
34-5
71-2
5-6
2-34

So this is the way that I am looking at all my scales. I don’t know if this is how other people remember their scales or not, but it seems to me to be the only way to remember them.

Couple this with the minor pentatonic shape over the Dorian, Phrygian and Aeolian modes, and then the Major pentatonic shape over the Ionian, Lydian, and Mixolidian modes and this is how I look at the fretboard.

So, there you have it. Am I alone with this notion or is this common practice ?
All comments welcomed.

Thank you.
Jim

This post has been edited by jawilco: Oct 2 2011, 08:18 AM

+Quote Post
Blister
Oct 3 2011, 02:05 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks for the intro to Shawn Lane. smile.gif Somehow I missed him. I like his style!

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
jawilco
Oct 3 2011, 05:39 AM
QUOTE (Blister @ Sep 28 2011, 10:57 PM) *
Welcome to GMC, Jim! smile.gif The most addicting guitar site on the net!

Gary

An epic player who flew under the radar.
I discovered him a year or two ago.
Dude could tear it up.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:45 PM