6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Pentatonic Rock Collaboration (intermediate), 6 Soloist needed!
ezravdb
Jul 29 2007, 08:36 PM
GMC:er
So, when I set Reaper at 140 BPM, the green lines tell me at how much bars I am right?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 30 2007, 01:24 AM
I'll have a crack at it if theres still spaces left.

Hopefully I wont mess up the sound aspect too bad laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 30 2007, 03:37 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jul 29 2007, 03:36 PM) *
So, when I set Reaper at 140 BPM, the green lines tell me at how much bars I am right?

Exactly - thwe mp3 starts at a bar boundary, so as long as the temp is set right the bars will be exact (you can change the ruler on the top from time to beats and bars by right clicking)

Ok, no we're officially full:

MickeM
jeff
Ezra
Matt
AudunESP
Owen

Dont rush it guys, looking forward to hearing the solos smile.gif

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 30 2007, 03:40 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
JOhn
Jul 30 2007, 09:22 AM
aww i was gonna do it lol

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jul 30 2007, 07:36 PM
Dude! I said I'm in before half the guys you put in, and you didn't include me! me sad sad.gif

This post has been edited by Iluha: Jul 30 2007, 07:37 PM

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 30 2007, 07:41 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jul 30 2007, 07:36 PM) *
Dude! I said I'm in before half the guys you put in, and you didn't include me! me sad sad.gif

Your right, you asked before I did, sad.gif if you really want to give it a shot you can have my place if you want? wink.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Iluha
Jul 30 2007, 07:44 PM
QUOTE (Owen @ Jul 30 2007, 08:41 PM) *
Your right, you asked before I did, sad.gif if you really want to give it a shot you can have my place if you want? wink.gif

No man go ahead, I'll probably won't have enough time to record it anyway, next time I'll jump in a collaboration sooner smile.gif looking forward to hearing this colaboration

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 31 2007, 01:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 28 2007, 01:04 PM) *
Don't you hate what beer does to you... heh laugh.gif

would love to play here!! smile.gif
How many bars may I take,duration?

Ahh,I missed post above,it's closed ...

This post has been edited by muris: Jul 31 2007, 01:25 AM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2007, 03:16 AM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Jul 30 2007, 02:44 PM) *
No man go ahead, I'll probably won't have enough time to record it anyway, next time I'll jump in a collaboration sooner smile.gif looking forward to hearing this colaboration

My Apologies sad.gif I have been a little rushed over the last couple of days, obviously didn't read the posts right ... I'll make the number one spot for you in the next one of these I do, ok?

QUOTE (muris @ Jul 30 2007, 08:20 PM) *
would love to play here!! smile.gif
How many bars may I take,duration?

Ahh,I missed post above,it's closed ...

Would have loved to have had you onboard .... but, theres already 2 of you, so maybe we can do 2 versions if enough others are interested ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 31 2007, 03:32 PM
laugh.gif I'm having fun with this one,

First I thought I'd DI it into my pc, but the hum of the amp being on is just unbearable and I couldnt get rid of it in Reaper.

So I thought, great, what can I do now, my mic stand is broken... so, with some major sellotaping (pics to come biggrin.gif ) I finally managed to get my mic to hold in it for recording the amp speaker, and its sounding much better now.

Unfortunately I was improvising to the track this morning and my Dad comes in and starts shouting how I'm out of key, ¬__¬

Conversation went like this :

"Thats by far out of key, thats flat"
"It cant be out of key, this is the A minor pentatonic, the track is in A minor and I tuned up my guitar five minutes ago"
"Your still out of key"
"No, thats impossible"
*He Picks Up My Acoustic and gets a few notes in key, then flops out of key*
"That's out of key, you moved out the box"
"No it isnt"
*Random arguing for the next half hour* tongue.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 31 2007, 05:42 PM
Lets go fishing!
Ok guys i need some help on recording my work please smile.gif

can you tell me how to ;

A: load andrews mp3 into the sequencer.

and

B: Record my solo once ive plugged everything in !

thanks smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 31 2007, 06:17 PM
Assuming you've got your ASIO4ALL set up.

First, half the window so its taking up only half of your monitor, then drag andrews mpeg file into the blank area of the sequencer.

Once you've done that, right click underneath the panel that is labelled "GMC collaboration blah blah blah" and select insert track.

After you've done that, press the little dot under the track number so that it turns red and is ready to record.

Then just click the other record button at the move to end/start/pause ect ect, and it should start recording.

Andrew, here's my solo, its by no means brilliant, but I've been sitting here all morning trying to get something coherent and I'm pretty sure I'm in key for all of it.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Owen___A_Minor_Pentatonic.mp3 ( 484.94K ) Number of downloads: 205

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 31 2007, 06:36 PM
Lets go fishing!
Andrew - great instructions thanks. Whats an ASIOALL though??

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 31 2007, 06:49 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jul 31 2007, 06:36 PM) *

Andrew! ohmy.gif

ASIO is sounddrivers specifically designed to lower the latency of your recording on the pc.

If you use a line 6 product like the Pod Xt then chances are you already have something like that set up automatically.

But if your just recording directly into a sound card then it'd be advisable to download the ASIO4ALL drivers here!

To use them you simply run the installer, when its finished go into reaper and choose from the dropdown menu:

Options >> Preferences >> Audio >> Device

Then change the Audio system to "ASIO" and apply.

Hope that helps biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2007, 06:58 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jul 31 2007, 01:36 PM) *

That was Owen not me wink.gif

Ok, ASIO is a low latency driver standard for audio recording. Most high end cards come with ASIO drivers, yours likely doesn't ASIO4ALL is among other things a universal driver and will add ASIO support for your soundcard, so download it, install it and set your audio driver to ASIO in reaper preferences.

Now, this part is important ...

In order to make this collaboration work, I need to take 6 mp3 files and importthem to a project. Since mp3 files have no built in notion of musicalness, it can be hard to get them to start and end in time to the backing track as I basically have to manually align them. Sometimes it is not at all obvious how to do this as I don;t know the timing an intention of the solo, it is always up for interpretation.

To get around this we need to do the following.

1. After you import the track, set the temp of the project to 140bpm

2. Set the time units of your ruler to beats and bars (right click on it and select the appropriate option)

3. The backing track is aligned to a bar boundary, so make sure that wehn you import it you slide it along until it starts at an exact bar.

4. When you record and output your solo, give it to me starting on an exact bar boundary.

If you do all of the above the timing will be exactly as youintended it. If you don;t I will have to guess and may get it wrong.

So, go ahead and get something recorded - your next challenge will probably be to get the mp3 track output in isolation - let us know when you are ready for that and we'll tell you what to do smile.gif

QUOTE (Owen @ Jul 31 2007, 01:17 PM) *
Andrew, here's my solo, its by no means brilliant, but I've been sitting here all morning trying to get something coherent and I'm pretty sure I'm in key for all of it.

Cool - can't check it against the backing track for a few days, but it seem like the right length, and very nicely recorded - looks like mic + speaker worked out well!

Regarding the whole out of tune thing ... sounds like you have a chorus or other pitch effect on it, that might be causing that. It doesn't sound too severe though and should be fine against the backing track.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 31 2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks, I think I have my mic to thank for that, it's quite good despite the amount I paid for it.

Nah, earlier I never had the chorus on, so it wasnt that, I quite like the chorus sound though, its got a nice symphonic effect methinks.

I had it marked as starting around the 27th beat, so its probably best situated there if thats possible. smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 31 2007, 07:12 PM
Lets go fishing!
Sorry I did know it was Owen and i meant to thank him - but I guess andrews brain washed me with his Jazz music laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jul 31 2007, 07:25 PM
Lets go fishing!
Andrew which is the exact option to set the ruler to beat and bars? Also, i have installed the drive but i cannot find the option in the prefrences to use that driver.

thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Jul 31 2007, 07:48 PM
Like so:

and to set the beats:

smile.gif

Edit : My apologies, I stretched the page there. Image has been sized down.

This post has been edited by Owen: Jul 31 2007, 07:50 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2007, 08:02 PM
perfect!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:22 PM