Major Key Triads
espkh2
Nov 24 2011, 03:28 PM
GMC:er
Hey, im new here.

I am wondering about major and Minor chords, and what chords to use within them. For example D Major and C minor.
I saw this in a lesson:

C major key triads:
C - Dm - Em - F - G - Am - Bdim

Does this formula work on every major key and what is the formula to the minor.

Could someone point me in the right direction wink.gif

Also a link to a lesson would be great

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Nov 24 2011, 04:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
Major Triads:
Major = I, IV, V
Minor = ii, iii, vi
Diminished: vii

Minor Triads:
Major: III, VI, VII
Minor: i, iv, v
Diminished: ii

And yes, it works in any key. So by knowing C major scale, as you said you get C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim. And knowing the key of E minor for example, you would get Em, F#dim, G, Am, Bm, C and D. smile.gif
All you need to know is how the basic diatonic chords are created. Just add every second note of the scale. Triads have 3 notes. So in C major, first chord would have the notes C, E and G. Second D, F and A, third E, G and B and so on.

A lot of people ask this, so you probably find a lot of information by using the search function. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Nov 24 2011, 04:23 PM

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 24 2011, 06:30 PM
Instructor
Yeah Sollesnes is right, by knowing that formula you pretty much can apply to any key!

it is simple but in real life it's so helpful and so important for you to know this!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
espkh2
Nov 25 2011, 03:01 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Nov 24 2011, 03:19 PM) *
Major Triads:
Major = I, IV, V
Minor = ii, iii, vi
Diminished: vii

Minor Triads:
Major: III, VI, VII
Minor: i, iv, v
Diminished: ii

And yes, it works in any key. So by knowing C major scale, as you said you get C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, Bdim. And knowing the key of E minor for example, you would get Em, F#dim, G, Am, Bm, C and D. smile.gif
All you need to know is how the basic diatonic chords are created. Just add every second note of the scale. Triads have 3 notes. So in C major, first chord would have the notes C, E and G. Second D, F and A, third E, G and B and so on.

A lot of people ask this, so you probably find a lot of information by using the search function. smile.gif

Thanks alot! ( Takk skal du ha) smile.gif

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Nov 26 2011, 01:58 AM
Learning Tone Master
Vær så god -_^

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:34 PM