Living Playing Music Or Hobbie, tips to survive
Osedmen
Dec 12 2014, 03:24 AM
GMC:er

Hi Gmc today was a crucial day for me...

i reject my job ...... happiness v.s stay at the office everyday

First i think that is important find the happiness enjoying things that you like.

my happiness is in playing music you know.

but sometimes i think in my future, and i dont know how build my own things like an apartment, my car.... etc. (playing guitar)

i dont know if i choose the correct solution....

my idea is to buy my own sound, backline, and search different places to play... what do you thing?

if you surviving with the music.... can you give me ideas to do?

thanks friends

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 12 2014, 09:17 AM
GMC Founder
Wow amazing, I don't think you will ever regret following your heart. After all, apartments and cars are insignificant compared to happiness.

You should probably have a short term strategy and a long term one - and make sure you work on both.

The short term strategy will help you pay the rent while you get more time to dive into-, and promote, your music and artistry. The long term strategy will give you edge by building a powerful network, social skills and uniqueness as an artist.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Osedmen
Dec 12 2014, 02:49 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 12 2014, 08:17 AM) *
Wow amazing, I don't think you will ever regret following your heart. After all, apartments and cars are insignificant compared to happiness.

You should probably have a short term strategy and a long term one - and make sure you work on both.

The short term strategy will help you pay the rent while you get more time to dive into-, and promote, your music and artistry. The long term strategy will give you edge by building a powerful network, social skills and uniqueness as an artist.

Yeah at this moment i feel a little bit more relax....

i´m going to follow your advice Kristofer! thanks a lot.

--------------------

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Dec 12 2014, 04:00 PM
Congratulations and good luck. I remember hearing the advice. "Find something you love, then figure out how to make money at it." and "If you do something you love you'll never work a day in your life." Of coarse I am standing here writing this while at a job I hate laugh.gif (my day job, not the picks). I have a lot of respect for anybody who can do what you are doing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 12 2014, 05:34 PM
Instructor
Hey Oscar! I totally recommend you a book written by a bassplayer called Janek Gwizdala - he wrote a sort of a musician's manual for building a small business out of music - here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Musician-Creative-Fi...k/dp/B00A413PXE

It made me see a lot of important aspects and it helped me re-evaluate the idea of making money out of music - try it!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 12 2014, 10:16 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Congratulations on taking this step! smile.gif

It is really important to be happy at what you do. Not everyone gets to do something they love and that can be really disruptive as we only live once. I do believe we all have a choice and if we want to achieve something truly - we can do it whatever it is!

I can see that you already have a plan and an immediate goal (geting stage gear and playing small gigs). I have a few friends who started from scratch but managed to make a living out of playing small clubs and cafes (acoustic gigs). They really wanted to do it and now are living from doing it and guess what? They are happy. Also, it wasn't as hard to get to the "living out of it" stage as it seemed at first. It all came down to how much effort you put into it (searching for venues, making cool promos, getting references from other venues, networking). I think it is perfectly doable and even if it takes a more than expected to setup and get some traction.

My advice would be to work on networking (getting to know and collaborating with as many musicians as you can) and be persistent at finding your place in music industry. One call for a gig/fill-in, leads to another etc.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 12 2014, 11:13 PM
Congrats!! smile.gif I transitioned away from my "Full Time Job" towards being a "Freelancer" so that I could try to make more time for music. My job felt like it was crushing my spirit and killing my creative drive as well. It's been very, very, very tough going without that paycheck to look forward to. I have to be honest. It's not for everyone and if I had a wife, kids, mortgage, what not, I just couldn't be doing this. I'd probably be doing what I was doing before for the rest of my life as the freelance approach is just not that stable financially. Thankfully I've only got myself to pay for so I can squeeze by on less smile.gif

I hope to be able to maintain this sort of lifestyle. Although, having parents who are getting older, I have started to have to take time away from freelancing to take more care of them. I"m glad that I'm able to help them. I really did'n't have the time for it when I was working non stop for a salary.

Like everything, it's a balancing act smile.gif KRIS DAHL gave some great advice. You have to make two plans.

1.)TACTICAL (how am I going to pay rent this month) E.G. Short Term.

2.)STRATEGIC (How am I going to pay rent next month) E.G. Longer Term

Todd

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 13 2014, 09:18 AM
Instructor
There will be a 'transition period' most likely - that means you should've put some cash away (maybe you did) which will sustain you for a determined period in which you will take care of building up your moneymaking system.

That's what I'd do, at least - I learned to never put my eggs into only one basket wink.gif So if one thing goes away, you will have the rest - as Todd said - freelancing isn't for everyone. I've had the huge luck to be able to grow up in an environment that supported this sort of thinking and attitude - I have my folks to thank for that - and it proved very useful.

What is your plan so far?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Dec 13 2014, 10:35 AM
Instructor
It's one of the coolest decisions in life smile.gif Guys pointed some great aspects of it as well as some things to be aware of.
IT IS ALWAYS WORTH TO TRY smile.gif Living out of playing is a tough thing but it is possible. The difference is...a bit more of adrenaline when You try to collect the money for Your bills smile.gif Each month is a different adventure biggrin.gif Also...You can get a regular job anytime You feel You can afford living form playing only. You can do this many times so Your decission actually doe not close any doors forever smile.gif

There are 2 important things...down to earth things worth considering unless You have a good contract with a popular band that plays a lot of comissioned gigs.

1. If You live in a small town, You'll probably get most of Your cash from giving lessons, adjusting instruments, making some music for advertisments etc. Living costs are smaller so it becomes possible to live this way

2. If You really want to get most of cash from the gigs, then moving to a larger city coudl be crutial. Living costs are usually bigger but same with opportunities to play for cash. In this particular case You'll save some money on gas/transport and some people will choose You because of Your location and ability to show in the studio or rehersal pretty fast (Your overall availablity)

Unless You location is lucky as hell, costs of gas and time wasted on car driving coudl eat You alive.

Those are not hard rules but considering my and many of my friends experience it usually looks this way.

Holding my thumbs for Your future career smile.gif I wish You all best with Your new life smile.gif

+Quote Post
Osedmen
Dec 13 2014, 11:21 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 12 2014, 08:17 AM) *

yeah Kris.... thanks.

i´m going to try

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Dec 12 2014, 03:00 PM) *
Congratulations and good luck. I remember hearing the advice. "Find something you love, then figure out how to make money at it." and "If you do something you love you'll never work a day in your life." Of coarse I am standing here writing this while at a job I hate laugh.gif (my day job, not the picks). I have a lot of respect for anybody who can do what you are doing.

lol thanks a lot

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 14 2014, 02:02 AM
Versatility.
Work well with others.
Be available.
Learn to sing.
Learn another instrument.
Be open minded.
Take criticism well and don't be oversensitive about it. Learn from it.
Don't make the same mistake twice.
Play in tune.
Play in time.
Don't be late.
Don't talk shit about other players, bands or styles.

+Quote Post
Osedmen
Dec 14 2014, 05:05 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Dec 14 2014, 01:02 AM) *
Versatility.
Work well with others.
Be available.
Learn to sing.
Learn another instrument.
Be open minded.
Take criticism well and don't be oversensitive about it. Learn from it.
Don't make the same mistake twice.
Play in tune.
Play in time.
Don't be late.
Don't talk shit about other players, bands or styles.

yeah ... very specific... i agree , thanks man

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 14 2014, 12:33 PM
Instructor
Hey bro smile.gif I found this article which will prove itself useful I think smile.gif

http://blog.sonicbids.com/12-simple-ways-t...source=facebook

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:48 AM