Req: 6-6-6-5 5-5-6-5 7-8 7-8
MickeM
Mar 5 2007, 11:29 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'd like several lessons on progressive music. One is not enough.

We'd step out of the 4/4 format and try something different. Like Dream Theater Petrucci stuff f.ex.

EDIT: I tried to add "Progressive music" in the topic description to make the topic clearer but wasn't able to. sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Mar 6 2007, 07:43 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 1)
MickeM
Mar 6 2007, 04:32 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
To be more specific. For me I've got an instictive feeling (sitter i ryggmärgen) for even four beats (4, 8, 12). Easy to follow, even and straight forward.
But when it comes to progressive music it's not so easy any more. Counting to nine, counting to five and then six while the drums don't give any support but just sound mysterious.

Listen to Dream Theater's - Surrounded for example. Not one of their most impossible songs I guess but in order to play that guitar intro I'm making myself dependant on everything but the drums. I'm not helped by them at all.

I start the into as the vocalist sing the last phrase (which then he must do just like James LaBrie), after playing the first section I count to 3 and hit the note for the next section on 4, play and then pause and count to 5, start playing again on 6 etc.
I think another way is to count to 9 and start all sections on 8 but then I'd be counting and playing up to nine at the same time.. and that doesn't work at all.

That's the reason for requesting an approach to progressive music. I think there's room for beginner lessons up to pro lessons here.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:27 PM