Audio/video Recording Pc, which OS ?
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 19 2009, 04:56 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello,

As I'm planning a small upgrade for my PC I have encountered some questions I need answers.

Which OS is best for audio/video production PC? Vista vs XP ?
Also as I have 64bit CPU should I install 32bit or 64bit version of either systems ?

What are limitations, what is RAM support of both systems ?

Which OS should I go with?

Thanks a lot! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 19 2009, 07:22 PM
Instructor
Well it depends wink.gif

If the new PC is strictly for business, and you are using all major software and hardware, I believe Vista can be a right choice in terms of compatibility. However you will need a big upgrade (or new PC) if you want the PC to perform faster on every aspect with Vista, cause Vista spends more resources.
Personally, without 4 cores and 6GB or RAM I would still go for XP, just to keep it steady for now. OS upgrade is still not necessary IMO.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 19 2009, 07:30 PM
Learning Roadie
What do you guys think about the upcoming windows 7 vs Vista? I have 64bit vista, and I like it well enough, but it can be a resource hog sometimes. I've heard 7 will be a bit of a lighter load, and the upgrade offer they're making is tempting.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 19 2009, 10:56 PM
Instructor
We will see about that. Many experts and power users already labeled Vista as only transitional phase. The real step will be Windows 7, and above, similar like Millenium was once transitional step between 98 & XP.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 19 2009, 10:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 19 2009, 11:11 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
At the mo I'd say XP. Vista has improved considerably since launch but I would still not use it seriously for commercial audio or video work. Win 7 looks better but I would not go with any OS until it is at least 1, preferably 2 SPs down the line.

If you can look at the newer i7 pc mobo - architecture is better for passing data than the older quad and dual cores and not just in terms of ram type. i7 probably isn't a minor upgrade though sad.gif . If you can't and you are already at max ram then maybe look at your hard disc = a fast 10,000RPM small capacity Raptor for the OS plus separate 7200 RPM SATA data/music hd for streaming may give you a good performance jump smile.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 19 2009, 11:37 PM
Instructor
I agree with Tony. Good upgrade is definitely a Raptor as a system HDD. Their price is dropping now, since there are Solid State Discs pushing on the market.

What kind of upgrade are you planning btw?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 20 2009, 12:13 AM
Well, I'm planning to get more RAM memory at start, later on a faster CPU. What is the limit for win xp , how much RAM it supports ? Generally my PC is old , but for audio I didn't have much problems with it (nor for video). Now its time to reinstall an OS and I'm a little puzzled which one to go with. Also I'm not sure what are benefits of 64bit system in relation to 32bit ? Which software/hardware should work on 64bit , and what is the benefit of 64bit system?

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM

This is what I have currently so I just wanted to make it a little better by getting more RAM and a new big HDD.
Later on CPU that is faster and can fit socket AM2 motherboard should follow. I have no intentions to use PC for gaming etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Aug 20 2009, 12:50 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yeah, I'm pretty sure with your specs, Bogdan, I'd stick with XP. Any implementation of Vista that I've worked on, has been such a resource hog. Windows 7 might bring a change, however, currently, I just don't see any downside of XP.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 20 2009, 12:49 PM
Instructor
I think you can have 3Gb of ram with Win XP. That's because it's the 32 bit system. The benefit of 64 bit system is obviously more ram and some audio and plugin processings can be done much better than on 32 bit system. If you go for 64 bit you need to make sure that drivers are available for your hardware.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 21 2009, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Aug 20 2009, 01:49 PM) *
I think you can have 3Gb of ram with Win XP. That's because it's the 32 bit system. The benefit of 64 bit system is obviously more ram and some audio and plugin processings can be done much better than on 32 bit system. If you go for 64 bit you need to make sure that drivers are available for your hardware.

Thanks for info! Hmm this was confusing to me, if there are 64bit drivers available for hardware I use - will I be safe? Does 64bit have nothing to do with software support/problems? Will I be able to use software I used before, Cubase etc? Question being , does 64bit system only affect hardware drivers support as possible problem?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 21 2009, 08:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 20 2009, 01:13 AM) *
Well, I'm planning to get more RAM memory at start, later on a faster CPU. What is the limit for win xp , how much RAM it supports ? Generally my PC is old , but for audio I didn't have much problems with it (nor for video). Now its time to reinstall an OS and I'm a little puzzled which one to go with. Also I'm not sure what are benefits of 64bit system in relation to 32bit ? Which software/hardware should work on 64bit , and what is the benefit of 64bit system?

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM

This is what I have currently so I just wanted to make it a little better by getting more RAM and a new big HDD.
Later on CPU that is faster and can fit socket AM2 motherboard should follow. I have no intentions to use PC for gaming etc.

Limit for XP is 3GB of RAM, which is really nice quantity of RAM for now. I have 4GB or RAM and my PC is only registering 3 of them, and it is working like a clock. No hickups, except in really demanding projects with several Amplitube Fender plugins (they eat most of the CPU).

I have same processor only 4000+, and my proc is enough for now, but I can notice the upgrade coming in 4-6 months time. If you are buying new Mobo, make sure Phenom can be used. On most AM2 boards, phenom can be slotted but with decreased data flow, which cuts down performance. (my motherboard is Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H it does accept Phenom but at cost of low performance).

reasonable proc upgrade would be Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz Box 1MB 65nm AM2
It uses well known Brisbane core, it's AM2 socket proc, 2.6GHz internal clock, 2x128 L1 and 2x512Kb L2 cache. It goes around 50-53e now. Very stable proc, good for OC, and runs great in every app.

All major software can use 2 cores today, and althoughe there is software that can handle 64bit flows, and more RAM, putting Vista would possibly render some software unusable, and eat the recourses of that PC. By putting XP, you can focus tight recourses where they are needed - to the apps.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 21 2009, 08:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 21 2009, 10:26 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 21 2009, 09:43 PM) *
Limit for XP is 3GB of RAM, which is really nice quantity of RAM for now. I have 4GB or RAM and my PC is only registering 3 of them, and it is working like a clock. No hickups, except in really demanding projects with several Amplitube Fender plugins (they eat most of the CPU).

I have same processor only 4000+, and my proc is enough for now, but I can notice the upgrade coming in 4-6 months time. If you are buying new Mobo, make sure Phenom can be used. On most AM2 boards, phenom can be slotted but with decreased data flow, which cuts down performance. (my motherboard is Gigabyte GA-MA69G-S3H it does accept Phenom but at cost of low performance).

reasonable proc upgrade would be Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6GHz Box 1MB 65nm AM2
It uses well known Brisbane core, it's AM2 socket proc, 2.6GHz internal clock, 2x128 L1 and 2x512Kb L2 cache. It goes around 50-53e now. Very stable proc, good for OC, and runs great in every app.

All major software can use 2 cores today, and althoughe there is software that can handle 64bit flows, and more RAM, putting Vista would possibly render some software unusable, and eat the recourses of that PC. By putting XP, you can focus tight recourses where they are needed - to the apps.

Thanks man, this is really helpful! So its safe to install 64bit XP ? I won't have problems with apps?
That is some really useful info on the CPU, I was thinking something along same lines but I kinda got out of information flow of what is good upgrade now smile.gif For now it seems like I just have to get a 2GB ram module + CPU in the near future. I'm looking for a reasonably fast machine for audio work, and hoping for a better performance in video work (rendering + after effects work)....

I'm currently backing up my data and preparing PC for format and OS install.

EDIT:

Regarding CPU, what is currently the fastest CPU I can get that will fit my motherboard with AM2 slot.
ITs Asus m2v motheboard I have.

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 21 2009, 10:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 21 2009, 11:10 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
XP 64 bit is a hybrid OS and able to run both 32 and 64 bit execution paths - obviously 32 bit ones will only run as 32 bit though wink.gif . Not sure if Win7 is hybrid or not - probably but can anyone confirm this?

From memory the AMD Athlon chip you currently have again is legacy orientated and should be able to run 32, 16 and maybe even 8 bit. So on a hybrid OS you should be ok. Having said that you can never 100% guarantee if an app will run until it's been tried and tested.

Just to repeat for the sake of it - a move to a 'true' 64 bit isn't just about more ram. There is a lot more to do with the x86 architecture and also the physical architecture of the mobo. To get that jump you'd need really to look at an i7 or the AMP equivalent.

For upgrading your Athlon Ivan is right IMO - easiest to go to a 5000 or 5200. I'm assuming your's is a socket AM2 Bogdan? A 5200 for AM2 is about 40 UK pounds.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 22 2009, 12:59 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 22 2009, 12:10 AM) *
XP 64 bit is a hybrid OS and able to run both 32 and 64 bit execution paths - obviously 32 bit ones will only run as 32 bit though wink.gif . Not sure if Win7 is hybrid or not - probably but can anyone confirm this?

From memory the AMD Athlon chip you currently have again is legacy orientated and should be able to run 32, 16 and maybe even 8 bit. So on a hybrid OS you should be ok. Having said that you can never 100% guarantee if an app will run until it's been tried and tested.

Just to repeat for the sake of it - a move to a 'true' 64 bit isn't just about more ram. There is a lot more to do with the x86 architecture and also the physical architecture of the mobo. To get that jump you'd need really to look at an i7 or the AMP equivalent.

For upgrading your Athlon Ivan is right IMO - easiest to go to a 5000 or 5200. I'm assuming your's is a socket AM2 Bogdan? A 5200 for AM2 is about 40 UK pounds.

Thanks Toni, this is really insightful! smile.gif

Yes, I have AM2 socket motherboard. I was just thinking as I have 64bit CPU why not go 64bit OS smile.gif It seems like a safe transition now. I was just browsing CPU supply here in stores and it seems there is : AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHz 2MB 90nm AM2 available. If my motherboard supports it (I guess with bios upgrade) that seems like a cool option. Its about 60e. CPU + 2 GB of RAM should give me performance I need for now I guess...Also 500 GB HDD drive for all the data (especially video) would be cool too...

Your feedback guys was really helpful, thanks again! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 22 2009, 12:59 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 22 2009, 01:15 AM
Instructor
No problem, let us know what you bought in the end, and it would be cool to hear some experiences on the performance jump.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Aug 22 2009, 08:26 AM
Learning Tone Master
In the case of video, I found Adobe Premiere unstable on Vista -64, as well as the plugins doesn't run so well....
In case of audio, I would stick to XP 32-bit all days in the week, since at least Cubase with plugs runs terrible on Vista. (Ok, I haven't really checked out the latest updates) If the question of RAM for virtual instruments & plugs a matter, I recommend buying Powercore or UAD as hardware processors instead - they also give a lot better sound quality than the usual VST-plugs ... :-)

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 22 2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys...I will definitely stay away from vista....Hopefully XP 64 bit should work as its hybrid os. Thanks for the info Staffy, those powercore units are worth checking out!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 22 2009, 01:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Staffy @ Aug 22 2009, 09:26 AM) *
In the case of video, I found Adobe Premiere unstable on Vista -64, as well as the plugins doesn't run so well....
In case of audio, I would stick to XP 32-bit all days in the week, since at least Cubase with plugs runs terrible on Vista. (Ok, I haven't really checked out the latest updates) If the question of RAM for virtual instruments & plugs a matter, I recommend buying Powercore or UAD as hardware processors instead - they also give a lot better sound quality than the usual VST-plugs ... :-)

//Staffay

I agree with Staffy, more reasonable upgrade would be to get DSP card if there is lack of resources for audio production.
Also, the better the GPU card, better will be performance in video editing apps, so it is probably better to get better GPU for a good stable upgrade.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Aug 22 2009, 02:37 PM
Instructor
I know when you're installing Sonar it asks you if you want 32 or 64 bit. It must be a difference as not all the programs can support 64 bit arhitecture.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Staffy
Aug 22 2009, 10:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
Vista -64 claims that it can run MOST of the 32-bit programs, but in the field of audio/video I found several that won't. I believe that video is even more critical than audio, since it must handle both at the same time. Til that moment that the most suppliers are building their products in native -64 bit, I personally stick to -32 bit for audio/video... but I use Vista -64 for all other tasks...

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 03:16 AM