Soloing Over 12 Bar Blues
Legion
Nov 8 2010, 11:22 PM
GMC:er
I've been trying to lock down what kind of scales to play when playing over the 12 bar blues. First I played straight pentatonic minor, sounded kinda boring, but it worked, then I found out that to capture more of the blues flavor you want to add the major 3rd and 6th. Then I found out that when the rhythm moves to the IV, you should switch keys, so in E, when you move to the IV you would play in A and likewise over the V you'd play in B. But this is where I get a little lost. Over the I you would basically play the E blues scale with the major 3rd and 6th added. Over the IV do I do the same thing? Is it just A blues with the major 3rd and 6th? Same question for the V.

I've seen lessons/articles online about licks to be played over the IV, etc, but I'd really like to know what my note options are so I can come up with my own.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratman79
Nov 9 2010, 08:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey man, there are lots of options but its one of those funny things that its easy to do but hard to sound great.
I say mix up Major & Minor pent... so if the song is in A a 2 bar A minor lick follewed by a 2 bar A major pent lick.

Ivan did a great lesson on this (its only level 3 or 4 but it is great to understand)

Also picking out chord tones of the chord below are importamt not just lindly wailing over the top. Working round arpeggios would help...

Really (as in any stlye) be aware of the chords underneath and the harmonic relation & tensions you are creating with your melody.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 10 2010, 01:57 AM
Instructor
yes, I agree. Don't think about theory that much. Blues is a genre where you have to use your ears a lot. So try all the notes in the blues scales on that IV change and see which one you like the most, or suits the most. Then attack that note on different forms, like sliding, vibrato, non vibrato, etc

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 10 2010, 02:20 AM
Instructor
The essence of blues is to mix minor and major scales naturally, while inserting the blue note. Try to mix both of these scales equally well, and use blue scale and chromatic approach here and there, and you will see how it can sound awesome! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:21 AM