Yet Another Gear Question..
KaiG
Feb 9 2009, 08:52 AM
GMC:er
Hello all

Just having joined this site, has inspired me to start playing again and how would you say, start taking my playing serious.

I have 2 amps. Not very good ones imo. I have a crate amp, from about 3-4 years ago. It is a 60 watt i believe. And i have a spider 2 amp. I just dont htink its my thing. I think im going to sell both and buy a decent fender amp. I want a tube amp, but my knowledge of tube amps is well, very little. My style is blues. I love the John Mayer solo'ing sound aslong with his rhythm sound. STV is another and eric clapton. So my question is which amp to get. I believe with the two ill sell and a little more money ill have maybe 400-500$ I also thought of buying the boss BD-2 pedal, and maybe grabbing an ibanez tubescreamer. I just need an amp. Any help would be awesome thank you.

Another question, my guitar is a PRS, just the SE version. I thought of maybe, getting a strat but im unsure. Should i keep the PRS or sell it for a strat?

Thanks again

Kai

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 9 2009, 10:02 AM
Learning Tone Master
Keep the PRS and save up for a Strat^^ It's always handy to have a second guitar for diffrent tunings, etc...

and this one is the only fender tube amp in your budget that I know of:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...ombo?sku=483075

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 9 2009, 10:11 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I agree with Zakk, keep the PRS!

If you're only going to be playing at home there's a 5W amp from Blackheart that's bluesy
http://www.blackhearteng.com/

They have bigger models too if you want more wattage.

+Quote Post
sted
Feb 9 2009, 12:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi and welcome!

The PRS SE are meant to be excellent value for the money so i would keep hold of that.

As for amps i dont think you will go far wrong with and fender tube, just a question of how much money you got!

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Feb 9 2009, 02:35 PM
+1 to ZakkWyldes comment - my father has that amp and it's absolutely terrific. It's cheap, it's tube, and it has a wide array of usable tones. It has that classic Fender clean to a very gritty/crunchy tone. I would advise you to get the footswitch for it too...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 10 2009, 01:39 AM
Instructor
I agree with MickeM - Blackheart tube amp is great bang for buck, ideal for the room, and KEEP THE PRS! biggrin.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Feb 10 2009, 01:52 AM
Instructor
I cannot disagree, just keep the PRS. It's a great guitar smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
KaiG
Feb 10 2009, 07:26 AM
Hello all

Thanks for your replies. Yeah i love my PRS, i just wanted some opinions =). I went to Guitarcenter today and checked out that Fender amp, i must say it sounds awesome. That might be the amp i will purchase. I still have to check out the other one that was mentioned. Thanks for your input guys

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Feb 10 2009, 08:38 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I can only agree with the rest, keep the guitar smile.gif
And both the Fender amp and the Blackheart amp are great smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pavlov
Feb 10 2009, 10:46 AM
The Fender Super Champ XD is great, I bought it myself too after a long period of deliberation between the Super Champ and a Blackstar HT5.

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 10 2009, 04:20 PM
Instructor
Definitely keep the PRS, you can get pretty good strats for reasonable prices smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 11 2009, 01:16 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Keep the PRS its a great instrument!!! Blackheart amp is a really though to consider....

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:56 AM