A Good Deal On 4x6 Firewire Interface
jdriver
Jun 20 2009, 05:32 AM
GMC:er
If anyone's thinking about getting a high (audio) quality 4x6 interface, especially for portable use, Musician's Friend has the Tapco (Mackie) LinkFW for half price, $99. Limited to stock on hand though. Can be configured with 6 discrete output signals from DAW if desired. I have ordered one because I don't think my Pandora is doing such a good job on the USB audio. Comes with Traktion DAW and some Mackie mastering plugins.

Tapco Firewire 4x6

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 20 2009, 09:59 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
J,
as it's firewire...

You may hopefully be ok but if you run into audio issues when you install and use the device:

There have been an awful lot of recent reports about issues where audio firewire external audio cards have not been detected/suffer audio distortion/audio drop out. This is on Mac and PC btw - it's not OS platform specific but down to the actual FW interface in the computer.

The FW computer card that functions without issues is the Texas chipset one. May be worth checking that you have a Texas fw or, if not, getting a Texas fw card. They should retail for less that 30-40 USD.

Best of luck with the Tapco - looks nice smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 20 2009, 10:09 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I've read somewhere that especially Dell is a gamble with firewire.

There's a software company who developed a new USB interface code togeter with their own soundcard and it has a response time of 2 ms.... huh.gif Still their soundcard has a cost of about $1000 with this USB interface included but it's understandable that the costs they plowed down into it has to be covered.
Hope they will be able to make that USB standard in time so we all can benefit from it.

jdriver, hope it works out for you smile.gif

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jun 20 2009, 05:45 PM
GMC:er
I'm using an old Mac laptop until it dies. I've used the Firewire on it for several different kinds of video projects, and backup drives with no problems. But I guess that's why the USB is getting more popular, since USB 2.0 is as fast as Firewire 400, and a lot less picky. As ususal, I'm on the road now, so I'll find out when I get home at the end of the month.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 20 2009, 05:49 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Pretty certain the old mac laptops are fine - the new ones however have a different fw chipset that has been causing problems for many. So if you upgrade any time soon might be worth checking smile.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jun 20 2009, 06:03 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I've always used firewire soundcards (better than USB imo) and never had a problem with them..
Tapco should be good, but I've never tried it though smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 20 2009, 11:36 PM
Instructor
This Tapco looks like a good deal to me. 4/6 is a good option to have. Let us know how it is man, it maybe be useful info.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:16 PM