$$ Perfect Pitch $$, Choices, choices.....
wheeler
Mar 29 2007, 08:13 PM
GMC:er
OK, I got into a debate about this with another player at a bar.

It's a hypothetical "which would you rather have" scenario.

You can either have ABSOLUTE PERFECT PITCH - I mean *perfect pitch*, the kind that lets you call out every pitch produced when someone drops a handful of change on the ground, or every note sounded when someone slaps their hands randomly on a keyboard...... (Yes, this does exist)

OR

$1,000,000.00 USD, or your preferred international equivalent.

If you chose perfect pitch - is there a $$$ amount that would change your mind?

Just curious.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by wheeler: Mar 29 2007, 08:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 29 2007, 08:29 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (wheeler @ Mar 29 2007, 03:13 PM) *
OK, I got into a debate about this with another player at a bar.

It's a hypothetical "which would you rather have" scenario.

You can either have ABSOLUTE PERFECT PITCH - I mean *perfect pitch*, the kind that lets you call out every pitch produced when someone drops a handful of change on the ground, or every note sounded when someone slaps their hands randomly on a keyboard...... (Yes, this does exist)

OR

$1,000,000.00 USD, or your preferred international equivalent.

If you chose perfect pitch - is there a $$$ amount that would change your mind?

Just curious.

Weeeel, as a musician you can get by with good pitch instead of perfect, so that makes the money look attractive ... on the other hand, what else do you have to offer? If it was 1M or the ability to shred like the guitar hero of your choice ... that would be no contest smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Mar 29 2007, 08:46 PM
I take the million dollars, pay some scientist 100K to build me a perfect pitch ear piece, and spend the rest on top notch hookers, beer, and pretzels.

+Quote Post
Daniel
Mar 29 2007, 08:47 PM
Well, might have choosen the money. With all those money I could quit school and work, and begin practising guitar all day long cool.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 29 2007, 08:59 PM
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Mar 29 2007, 03:46 PM) *
I take the million dollars, pay some scientist 100K to build me a perfect pitch ear piece, and spend the rest on top notch hookers, beer, and pretzels.

Now that's a more practical suggestion - brainlesswonder, you always manage to get to the key essentials smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Pavel
Mar 29 2007, 09:37 PM
Instructor
I take the money! Build myself a recording studio, and play guitar for the rest of my life! What else do you need?

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Ryan
Mar 29 2007, 10:25 PM
I would choose perfect pitch......just because...you coudl then shred like no other..and make all that money...and more.....

but then again...if i took the money...i coudl then..practice all the time.a.nd then finally achieving perfect pitch..would mean so much more to me........

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Pavel
Mar 29 2007, 11:02 PM
Instructor
Perfect pitch doesn't mean anything in shred. Perfect pitch is important for violin and "fretless" instruments and for guitar it is not THAT vital. And trust me - it's hard to earn 1 million dollars with playing guitar so i stay with the money fot the choice hehe

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 29 2007, 11:06 PM
GMC Founder
Yes I don't see much point in perfect pitch either... I'd like to have perfect relative pitch though, which is a whole different animal.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 29 2007, 11:11 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 29 2007, 06:06 PM) *
Yes I don't see much point in perfect pitch either... I'd like to have perfect relative pitch though, which is a whole different animal.

And easier to achieve too - you can train for that!

So, OK wheeler, we'd all like our $1M so we can build guitar recording studios and quit our jobs please - shall I PM you my bank account details? laugh.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Mar 30 2007, 02:18 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Mar 29 2007, 04:37 PM) *
I take the money! Build myself a recording studio, and play guitar for the rest of my life! What else do you need?

Top notch hookers, beer, and pretzels..

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Mar 30 2007, 03:50 AM
I would probably go insane if I had perfect pitch. Just the fact that no guitar can be perfectly tuned all over the fretboard would do me in. In situations like that, ignorance is bliss. Just think of people like Eric Johnson who says he can hear the difference in the type of batteries used in his pedals. Sounds crazy to me, but who's to say he's wrong?

I'd take the million bucks and move to Margarittaville.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 30 2007, 09:14 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Mar 30 2007, 04:50 AM) *
I would probably go insane if I had perfect pitch. Just the fact that no guitar can be perfectly tuned all over the fretboard would do me in.

I agree.

For those of you who don't know what relative pitch is - it's the kind of interval-recognising-ability that can be trained on these kind of sites:

http://www.good-ear.com/servlet/EarTrainer

--------------------

+Quote Post
wheeler
Mar 30 2007, 06:00 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 29 2007, 05:11 PM) *
And easier to achieve too - you can train for that!

So, OK wheeler, we'd all like our $1M so we can build guitar recording studios and quit our jobs please - shall I PM you my bank account details? laugh.gif

Ummmmm....the check's in the mail?

Interesting answers all around.

Someone please write and record a song entitled "Hookers, Pretzels, and Beer" and upload ASAP.

This post has been edited by wheeler: Mar 30 2007, 06:02 PM

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Mar 30 2007, 06:54 PM
Sounds like a Jimmy Buffet song to me. Didn't he already right that? cool.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:57 PM