Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where Do You Want Your Guitar Skills To Be A Year From Now?
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 28 2019, 02:30 PM
Post #1

Instructor
Group Icon

Group: GMC Instructor
Member No.: 1.289

Hi friends!! It's always good to set some goals, isn't it?

Where do you want your guitar skills to be a year from now?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 28 2019, 03:55 PM
Post #2

Learning Rock Star

Group: Members
Member No.: 5.298

EDIT: TL;DR Guitar playing affected by job center being silly through 6 years, hopefully getting a stop to this and being able to put more energy towards guitar.

-----------------

Here goes the long story:

I think my goal is more related to getting "back on my feet" in terms of (mental) health and hopefully not have the job center etc. push me around more.

It's been 6 years of a fight with the system (with my diagnosis of schizophrenia), and 95% of the activities have been pointless, meaningless and not advised by psychiatrists etc., they have consistently noted wrong things in their system, from getting my name wrong to writing 2 tries at further education when it has been 6, 5 knee operations have become 2, saying "if I have no choice maybe some work experience in relation to music could be okay" becomes "Benjamin would really like to work in a supermarket or storage facility", I am apparently dyslexic according to them, but I have studied linguistics... how does that even match up? I have been pushed to activities of 2 hours of crossfit twice a week when I was in the worst shape in my life with a knee that is wrecked, but I was told it would go away and that I should just keep doing what they told me. One of the exercises was lifting a medicine ball of 10 kg from the floor to above your head, throwing it hard as you can on the floor, picking it up again etc... 100 times in a set amount of minutes. I have given the job center here in my new hometown 40 pages of documents from Copenhagen, but they have been lost from their system. They then asked me to sign a document that allowed them to get documents from themselves from Copenhagen, but at least 4 meetings later (over half a year) nothing has happened. They want me to go into a "mentor program" before I can get to the "clarification program" that I should have been offered way earlier than this. The clarification program will judge if I should go into a "flex job", which is part time but full time pay basically, or disability pension. The procedure is usually (from 99% of the people I have heard from, including professionals) that you get a mentor WHILE you are in this clarification program, you do not need to have had a mentor to enter it. But I am being told that that is what I need to do. Here comes the funny part... I have had 3 mentor programs in Copenhagen (where I lived up until 8 months ago). It even says in those documents they have yet to get here in my new town. The system is digital. Even by postal service it should not take that long.

So, then I turned 30 the other day, so my case worker called and said: "You are now 30, so you will go to another team of 30+´, which means you will also get a new case worker, and that mentor program we entered you for will be cancelled". That's all well and good, but then I asked: "When can I expect to hear something from the new case worker?" and the answer was that I should call them if I had not heard anything in 2 months.

I have a person (from some place that administrates help to people with mental health issues) who comes to help with some things here at my place. She does not directly have influence on my case, but she sees me weekly and she reports to the case worker here and there, but she cannot make any decisions as such. Now, all of these people involved in this (case worker, this "helping" person and some other people) were supposed to have a meeting to clear up some things on the 4th of February. It is about me, but the citizen (me) is not invited to these meetings for better or worse. I trust that they will come to some conclusion without me, and I know that I have a tendency to appear happy, talkative and well spoken, so that often misleads them to thinking: "He just needs a kick in the butt!". Well, what do you know, they took away the other case worker, because I am now 30, and they have yet to assign a new one, so the meeting may not happen anyway. It will eventually though.

If I do get allowed into the clarification program, which I should have been put into years ago in reality, I will actually have to get a mentor again. The clarification program is set to be between 1 to 5 years long before any decision is made. As I have said to other people before... If I was not sick before I entered the system, I would have become sick by getting stuck there.

This and many other frustrations, including my own mental health regardless of all the above, which is only making it worse, as well as other things and people taking up more and more of my energy, has meant even doing things that I would usually find relaxing becomes a chore. Even music and gaming feels more and more like a chore and something that eats away my small amount of energy. So does things I have to do of course (dishes, cooking, cleaning, meetings etc). It becomes such a vicious circle.

So I hope for all of this to stop in some way. I promised myself a year ago I would be more honest with people, and I would be more outspoken about how I feel. Hopefully, in some way or another, this can help in the long run, and hopefully I will have time in between job center activities to recharge my batteries. I hate saying "no, I can't do that!" to them. I usually try to explain my situation and when they presented me of the idea of a 25 hour weekly work experience a few years back in Copenhagen, I told them it was unrealistic, even according to my psychiatrist, and if it was to be a success it would be more realistic to start at 5-10 hours and work our way up. So they said to start at 22 hours and work our way down, and so it was. And it became 20, then 18, then 17 and then a crash and breakdown.
Here in Odense I suddenly had activities every day revolving around mental health. Meetings, therapy, groups, contact persons, dietitian etc. It eats up a lot of energy. Somewhat my own fault for not putting my foot completely down and saying: "I can see it will become too many things, so we need to keep it realistic!".

This has been an ongoing issue for many years, the fight with the system, and I don't think it has helped in any way in relation to guitar and music. Or life in general of course. So many people constantly setting different goals to be achieved, while professionals say: "1 goal for each 3 months would be realistic to achieve, not the amount of goals you have been set".

I hope to be less stressed about all these things soon, and I hope that somewhere in the system someone is willing to actually listen, note the right things in their system, and that I actually get helped in the right direction. I hope this will free up some energy to make life a little better. Not just better for 2 hours while doing vocals for a Christmas collaboration on here, but in other things too. I am not saying we can all be happy all the time or that life is not supposed to be bad at times. But you need some balance, and I don't feel I can get that the way things are with the job center pushing too much, among many other things of course.

This turned out to be a very long post.

Anyway, this was a long story and not entirely related to guitar goals. So my guitar related goal if these things settle down:

Write a guitar driven song or two that I am happy with, which can be entered for a competition I have my eyes on in 2020. Of course I may have to write many songs to be happy with 1 or 2, but if I can achieve to be happy with 1 or 2 songs, then that is great!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jan 28 2019, 04:07 PM

--------------------
For some prog metal made by yours truly, check out:

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-a-celestial-voyage-full-demo

And subscribe to my Youtube Channel and Instagram here! and here!
...and my Twitch:HERE!

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jan 29 2019, 06:45 PM
Post #3

Learning Roadie

Member No.: 23.329

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 28 2019, 02:30 PM) *
Hi friends!! It's always good to set some goals, isn't it?

Where do you want your guitar skills to be a year from now?

I want to my playing to be sharp, precise and clean above else. Maybe learn some more theory and its practical use. And if I study real hard, I may be able to play from score sheets too. Is it achievable in a year?

I'm almost finished with the exams, so there will be more time for that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
post Jan 29 2019, 07:37 PM
Post #4

Learning Apprentice Player

Member No.: 19.975

More theoretical understanding and applying it to improvisation.

--------------------
MY CURRENT REVISION FOLDER HERE

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

“Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in installments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.”
Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 30 2019, 02:55 PM
Post #5

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 28 2019, 11:55 AM) *
Anyway, this was a long story and not entirely related to guitar goals. So my guitar related goal if these things settle down:

Write a guitar driven song or two that I am happy with, which can be entered for a competition I have my eyes on in 2020. Of course I may have to write many songs to be happy with 1 or 2, but if I can achieve to be happy with 1 or 2 songs, then that is great!

I'm sorry about all the health issues mate. I hope that things become better soon. I have no experience with it but I hope that professionals can help you.

Regarding your guitar goal, it sounds great! You are already a great composer so I'm sure that you'll find those two tracks that you want. How do you imagine your guitar solo stuff? Any guitarists as reference?

QUOTE (Adam M @ Jan 29 2019, 02:45 PM) *
I want to my playing to be sharp, precise and clean above else. Maybe learn some more theory and its practical use. And if I study real hard, I may be able to play from score sheets too. Is it achievable in a year?

Nice goals! You'll be able to read some music in a year if your practice it every day. It's not tricky, it just requires practice, as everything.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jan 29 2019, 03:37 PM) *
More theoretical understanding and applying it to improvisation.

We are working on it! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 30 2019, 04:08 PM
Post #6

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 30 2019, 02:55 PM) *
I'm sorry about all the health issues mate. I hope that things become better soon. I have no experience with it but I hope that professionals can help you.

Regarding your guitar goal, it sounds great! You are already a great composer so I'm sure that you'll find those two tracks that you want. How do you imagine your guitar solo stuff? Any guitarists as reference?

In some way the professionals are there and helping, or trying to, and it's great! However, it's the job center (in lack of a better word) that is not helping, and they are actually the ones who decide what is gonna happen - activity and to some extent if I do anything wrong etc. that can affect the social security money I get. So if the psychiatrist says: "6 hours of work experience a week is enough", they can overrule and say: "Let's try with 25 hours at first!". Or at least that is how it has been in my case, which does not seem to be the same for other people. So I have been pushed into a lot of activities that made no sense.

As for guitar solo stuff, there are many different influences. I don't think I could name just one. Vai, Rick Graham, Nick Johnson's latest stuff is great, and many others of course smile.gif

--------------------

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-storm-linnebjerg/storm-linnebjerg-a-celestial-voyage-full-demo

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
post Jan 31 2019, 06:11 PM
Post #7

Instructor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 30 2019, 12:08 PM) *
In some way the professionals are there and helping, or trying to, and it's great! However, it's the job center (in lack of a better word) that is not helping, and they are actually the ones who decide what is gonna happen - activity and to some extent if I do anything wrong etc. that can affect the social security money I get. So if the psychiatrist says: "6 hours of work experience a week is enough", they can overrule and say: "Let's try with 25 hours at first!". Or at least that is how it has been in my case, which does not seem to be the same for other people. So I have been pushed into a lot of activities that made no sense.

I see... I hope that you can find the way to adjust this and make it work as it works for other people.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 30 2019, 12:08 PM) *
As for guitar solo stuff, there are many different influences. I don't think I could name just one. Vai, Rick Graham, Nick Johnson's latest stuff is great, and many others of course smile.gif

Nice list! Does Rick Graham have cool original material? I've seens lots of amazing lessons by him but I've never heard his music.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Caelumamittendum
post Jan 31 2019, 06:50 PM
Post #8

Learning Rock Star

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 31 2019, 06:11 PM) *
Nice list! Does Rick Graham have cool original material? I've seens lots of amazing lessons by him but I've never heard his music.

This is from 7 years ago:

This is newer:

And here's a tribute to Holdsworth, original I think:

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 08:14 PM