2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Black Stone Cherry Collab, Final Mix and Comments!
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 9 2009, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Attached File  BSC_Collab_FINAL_MIX.mp3 ( 23.43MB ) Number of downloads: 362

Hey friends! This is the final mix and comments thread of my Black Stone Cherry Style collaboration!

First I want to be grateful every GMCers that has participated in my collab. The truth is that I am impressed by the overall level of the solo that you recorded. The overall level is superior to the one that I have had in previous collaborations and it indicates that you have been practising very much and that Guitarmasterclass is giving great results! This makes me feel very satisfied! So I would like to congratulate everyone for the performances!

Well, here we go with the comments. I am going to try to describe and mark every detail that I find important in order that you could improve and continue growing as guitarists.

Berko: (00:02 – 00:53)

I like the EQ of your sound, probably you could get more clarity in the fastest licks if you set you amp with a bit less of distortion, but it also depends on the taste on each one. Technically the take is very well. I find some tempo problems in some licks, principally in more bluesy ones. You use many very interesting licks and this demonstrates that your vocabulary in the guitar is wide enough. Nevertheless I feel that the composition of this solo seems to be a succession of licks and does not end up by going towards any concrete side. Probably your excellent playing will be more illuminated if you work a bit more in the structure of your solo. Do you understand what I mean?

Chris Evans: (00:54 – 01:41)
Very good take Chris! I like the beginning in the style of Mattias Eklundh played with the tremolo. Then the solo combines different techniques in a very fluid and natural way. Sincerely I really enjoy listening to your playing. With some small adjustments in the timing and in fastest alternate picking parts I think that this would be a perfect take.

Dexxter: (01:42 – 02:33)
Excellent take! I'm not sure why but your solo reminds me a lot to Iron Maiden! Technically the solo is played very well. However I noted that your bends don't reach the correct pitch in several parts. It is something that you should correct with some exercises dedicated exclusively to this technique. It is very important to know if you listen to this problem, because in case you it do not listen to it, the problem is not technical but auditory and that what you'll have to exercise. The tome in your take is very good and I like how your solo evolves.

Fretburn: (02:38 – 3:22)
There are some technical details to work in your take but I believe that the main thing to work is the composition. It seems to me that solo has too many long notes and it doesn't make the solo dynamic. It makes me feel that you are playing scale notes and not a melody. My method to avoid these solos is to try to create a melody singing or imagining it in my mind. When I find a melody that I like I transpose it to the guitar adding arrangements and some licks to make it more entertaining. Regarding the sound I would like to help you a bit since it seems to me that the quality is not very good but before that I would need to know what set up you used to record it.

Gus: (3:23 – 04:11)
I like very much how your solo begins. I think that all the first part is very good. When you get into the half of the solo you repeat a phrase too many times and it makes the solo a bit least entertaining. I believe that if you had continued with the dynamics and fluency of the first part you would get a brilliant solo! I like the ending part which for some reason reminds me to The Mars Volta's guitar player. Technically, everything is played perfect and the sound is very well. I would set the sound with a bit less of reverb and more bass but anyhow the sound is ok!.

Kaznie: (04:12 – 05:00)
Very good Solo! I note that you interpreted very well the style of the backing track. In your take you used many elements in the style of BSC and Zakk Wylde. Excepting some details in the beginning, this solo very well played. It seems to me that the only thing that you should work is in trying to make the connection between the licks more fluid to make your playing sound more fluently. But the overall is very well and I want to emphasize the fantastic harmonized melody that you recorded in the last part! It's really good man!

Kjutte 32: (05:01 – 05:51)
I am impressed!! Your solo and your guitar skills are fantastic! Congratulations for your guitar level. You sweep picking are excellent, your vibrato very expressive your alternate picking is very precise. I also like your tone very much. So in this case simply I have to say congratulations for your solo and keep on rocking!!

LPR9: (05:52 - 06:39)
Your solo is very interesting and it is entertaining to hear. It has three very marked moments and it gives it a fluid development and evolution. There are some mistakes in the first part which is the rocker part. If these mistakes would not be there, the level of your take would increase a lot. The second part which is the fastest is very well played and I like it very much. The end returns to rocker/bluesy style and works very well as resolution for the solo. In general lines the take is very well like that and it only needs some little adjustments in the playing. Good work!

Marek: (06:40 – 07:33)
The beginning of your solo is fantastic. Every part that appears is better than the previous one until you come to the half of the solo when the ideas already are not so interesting. I believe that if you had continued exploring the ideas of the first part you had achieved a very entertaining solo! In general the take is very well played and the sound of your guitar is also this very well. Therefore it is only necessary to fit a bit the composition and you'll have it!

Outlaw: (07:37 – 08:19)
Excellent take man! Sincerely It is very entertaining to listen to your solo and I find several very interesting parts. Everything is very well technically played and all the notes are in scale. I really like the repetitive rocker licks that you used and also the legato in style of Dave Murray! Very good work Outlaw!

Skenington: (08:20 – 09:10)
There is a lot of melody along the solo and this is very positive! Probably is lacks a bit of rocker licks in order that it becomes a bit more interesting and to avoid it of being so lineal. Regarding the technique I notice that this quite very well played and I only believe that you should fit a bit your bend's pitch.

TylerT: (09:11 – 10:00)

Your solo is VERY interesting! I like the composition because your solo never stops entertaining me. Your technique is very good, principally the alternate picking that sounds as if Paul Gilbert were playing it! It's very clear and very precise!
There are some details to fix at the end of the solo but in general lines I can only give you my congratulations!

ZakkWylde: (10:01 – 10:49)

I delight the wah wah arrangement that you added to the first riff! I would definitely add it to my lesson! The overall of your solo is very rocker and it really honours your nickname. All the bends and licks that come from blues and rock more classic make this solo fit perfect with the style of this backing track. The only two details that I wanted to mark it is that you used too many long bending notes along the take and that almost the whole solo is developed in the same section of the fret board. These two details make the solo sound a bit linear. Does it make sense? Keep on rocking!

Toroso: (10:50 – 11:38)
I really like the structure and evolution of your solo. When I hear your take I feel that it has a concrete direction. It really tells a story (As Sinisa says) and that is really good!. There are some timing details to fix in some licks and it would be really good if you incorporate a bit more of vibrato. You have to continue working more on the technical side but you have the most important thing that is the creativity.

Tolek: (11:39 – 12:32)
Finishing the collaboration we have another guitarist with an excellent level! You do not imagine how much I enjoy listening to the part in which the backing goes from the "chorus" to the "bridge" or "Part C". The drums go down to the half of tempo and you continue playing fast legatos… it sounds incredible! Yeah!! Your guitar skills are very good and this solo is a very interesting composition. There are some timing details in some licks but in general lines it is an excellently solo. Congratulations!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 10 2009, 12:04 AM
Learning Tone Master
This was one of the best collabs EVER!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jun 10 2009, 01:21 AM
GMC:er
Thanks for taking the time to put this together and all the nice comments..
It was a pleasure to participate in this...

thanks

smile.gif

I personally feel that kjutte rocked the house on this one.. but everyone has some nice takes

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jun 10 2009, 04:30 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Thanks for this one Gab. I knew it was a bit over my head but wanted to try and put something together anyway. I will work on things mentioned for sure. smile.gif And may I say MONSTER MIX, love it!

Love all the takes guys, keep rocking!!! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2009, 06:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jun 9 2009, 09:04 PM) *
This was one of the best collabs EVER!

yeah! Too many awesome participants! smile.gif

QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Jun 9 2009, 10:21 PM) *
Thanks for taking the time to put this together and all the nice comments..
It was a pleasure to participate in this...

thanks

smile.gif

I personally feel that kjutte rocked the house on this one.. but everyone has some nice takes

Thank you Outlaw!

QUOTE (skennington @ Jun 10 2009, 01:30 AM) *
Thanks for this one Gab. I knew it was a bit over my head but wanted to try and put something together anyway. I will work on things mentioned for sure. smile.gif And may I say MONSTER MIX, love it!

Love all the takes guys, keep rocking!!! cool.gif

Thank you Sken! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jun 10 2009, 08:18 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Thanks for the comments Gab! I agree that I reached my "full power" to soon, and wasn't able to maintain it to the end. All in all I agree with ZakkWylde - for me it was the best collab till date, uber backing, uber style and some takes are mind blowing:)

\m/\m/\m/\m/

--------------------

+Quote Post
berko
Jun 10 2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for your comments! Yes, those licks in my take do seem to be a bit too much isolated although I'm working on this issue already.

And though I'm not much of a pentatonic shredder I really enjoyed this collab because the bt was that cool. I hope you'll do many more in the near future! cool.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jun 10 2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks Gabe! That was good to hear. I have so far to go tho! Great collab everyone!

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Jun 10 2009, 11:56 AM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 10 2009, 12:55 AM) *
Dexxter: (01:42 – 02:33)
Excellent take! I'm not sure why but your solo reminds me a lot to Iron Maiden! Technically the solo is played very well. However I noted that your bends don't reach the correct pitch in several parts. It is something that you should correct with some exercises dedicated exclusively to this technique. It is very important to know if you listen to this problem, because in case you it do not listen to it, the problem is not technical but auditory and that what you'll have to exercise. The tome in your take is very good and I like how your solo evolves.

Thanks a lot for this collab and comments Gabriel! smile.gif

Hehe, Iron Maiden is my absolute favourite band, so that's a big compliment smile.gif ...but I didn't use any typical maiden-licks huh.gif Strange laugh.gif

I will practice bending as you said smile.gif But I must say that I wasn't 100% happy with those double stop bends. But know I have fixed my intonation, so hopefully it will be better, but I still have to practice wink.gif

Thanks again! I hope you will do another one soon smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sted
Jun 10 2009, 03:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
Unbeleivably good playing there chaps, gratz one and all!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jun 10 2009, 04:44 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks Gabs! Thanks tons wink.gif You're comments are very positive, thanks for that!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 10 2009, 07:22 PM
Instructor
Thank you guys!! I'm really glad that you enjoyed this collab! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Jun 10 2009, 07:30 PM
TylerT! That was some serious shredding there!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jun 10 2009, 08:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks a lot for your kind words. biggrin.gif I enjoyed playing to this backing a lot. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 10 2009, 09:50 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
whoa! awesome! thanks for taking the time to put this collab together, I always enjoy your backings!

thank you for your kind words, great comments and takes throughout smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
LPR9
Jun 10 2009, 10:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hey gabriel,
Thanks for your feedback, I think next time I'll make sure i'll polish all parts of my solos before uploading . your feedback is encouraging.
what i'm planning to do is try to isolate patterns that I like from various players on this collab. it's probably a good way to progress.
congrats to all !

+Quote Post
TylerT
Jun 11 2009, 12:42 AM
Guitar Hero
QUOTE (SonofDestiny @ Jun 10 2009, 10:30 AM) *
TylerT! That was some serious shredding there!

Thanks man! I appreciate it! Still a lot of work to do though.

Thanks for making this awesome collab. Looking forward to future ones!

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Agile Interceptor Pro 725
- EBMM John Petrucci Signature
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 11 2009, 05:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jun 10 2009, 05:15 PM) *
Thanks a lot for your kind words. biggrin.gif I enjoyed playing to this backing a lot. wink.gif

Thank you for your participation Tolek!

QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Jun 10 2009, 06:50 PM) *
whoa! awesome! thanks for taking the time to put this collab together, I always enjoy your backings!

thank you for your kind words, great comments and takes throughout smile.gif

It has been a pleassure! I had a lot of fun mixing and commenting this collab. wink.gif

QUOTE (LPR9 @ Jun 10 2009, 07:13 PM) *
Hey gabriel,
Thanks for your feedback, I think next time I'll make sure i'll polish all parts of my solos before uploading . your feedback is encouraging.
what i'm planning to do is try to isolate patterns that I like from various players on this collab. it's probably a good way to progress.
congrats to all !

That's a really good idea! BTW the composition of the solo was really good! smile.gif

QUOTE (TylerT @ Jun 10 2009, 09:42 PM) *
Thanks man! I appreciate it! Still a lot of work to do though.

Thanks for making this awesome collab. Looking forward to future ones!

Thank you! See you in the next one! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gus
Jun 16 2009, 11:46 AM
I only heard this final mix now and wow!, just wow!

Comparing this collab to others I can see a large technical improvement from most people.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 10 2009, 12:55 AM) *
Gus: (3:23 – 04:11)
I like the ending part which for some reason reminds me to The Mars Volta's guitar player.

Actually, this is the first time I hear about Mars Volta laugh.gif . Do you have any suggestions of songs to start listening to it?
But thanks for the compliment anyway, hehe.

This post has been edited by Gus: Jun 16 2009, 11:47 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
TheKeplerConject...
Jun 18 2009, 04:53 AM
Man, that came out cool, huh? I'm sorry I missed it! Really entertaining to listen to the final mix, though!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 12:08 AM