Misconceptions About Guitars ?
Ben Higgins
Jul 19 2014, 09:23 AM
Instructor
Before I started playing the guitar there were 2 things that I mistakenly thought:

I thought that the higher register notes were played down at the headstock end !

I thought that you used whammy bars by moving them from side to side !

Can you remember any odd ideas that you had about guitar playing before you learned how to play ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carmine Marotta
Jul 19 2014, 09:55 AM
GMC:er
I thought it was much easier to play

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 19 2014, 10:51 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 19 2014, 09:23 AM) *
I thought that you used whammy bars by moving them from side to side ![/b]

totally thought that as well biggrin.gif
I also remember thinking if you could bend a string upwards to make the note higher then you could also bend it downwards to make it lower...... in hindsight that one is really quite embarrassing mellow.gif

QUOTE (Carmine Marotta @ Jul 19 2014, 09:55 AM) *

laugh.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 19 2014, 05:33 PM
I thought it would score me far mre women than it ever has!!!
ohmy.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 19 2014, 06:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carmine Marotta @ Jul 19 2014, 09:55 AM) *

laugh.gif

That is a classic answer !!

QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 19 2014, 10:51 AM) *
I also remember thinking if you could bend a string upwards to make the note higher then you could also bend it downwards to make it lower.

I wish that was true !!

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jul 19 2014, 05:33 PM) *
I thought it would score me far mre women than it ever has!!!
ohmy.gif

You're supposed to play it, not use it as a fishing rod to hook women !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 20 2014, 08:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 19 2014, 09:51 AM) *
totally thought that as well biggrin.gif

That makes 3 of us and at first - I thought the guitar should be held as a leftie would hold it, even if you are a right handed dude biggrin.gif And I was roaming around the house with my little acoustic like that biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 20 2014, 10:14 AM
I use to think a feedback from a guitar note was a totally different instrument - like a box with a lever on it, I didn't know of feedback, whammy bars or even synthesizers back then.

In particular this song, "King of the Nighttime World" by Kiss. The opening note. On the album and on Kiss Alive II you don't hear him pluck the string to make the feedback, so I had no idea it was a guitar...

This post has been edited by Spock: Jul 20 2014, 10:15 AM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 20 2014, 03:50 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 19 2014, 06:40 PM) *
You're supposed to play it, not use it as a fishing rod to hook women !! biggrin.gif

You're not?????
No wonder I've not had much success!!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 20 2014, 05:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 20 2014, 10:14 AM) *
I use to think a feedback from a guitar note was a totally different instrument - like a box with a lever on it, I didn't know of feedback, whammy bars or even synthesizers back then.

In particular this song, "King of the Nighttime World" by Kiss. The opening note. On the album and on Kiss Alive II you don't hear him pluck the string to make the feedback, so I had no idea it was a guitar...

I wish I hadn't watched that video huh.gif I cant get the chorus out of my head blink.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jul 20 2014, 05:24 PM
Once I 'realized' it could be used effectively as a fishing rod ... I started practicing (and fishing) a lot more.

*For years I had no idea that there was such things as a wah-wah, phaser or delay pedals. I thought those sounds were made with how you played.

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 20 2014, 06:52 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Jul 20 2014, 12:05 PM) *
I wish I hadn't watched that video huh.gif I cant get the chorus out of my head blink.gif

Here, I can help you smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 21 2014, 07:15 AM
Instructor
Haha! That Chocolate video was so out of my life until now .... laugh.gif

Anyway, one story that I told a lot on GMC, was the one which happened in Geneva back in 2001. I became friends with the guitar player of this band: http://eleventhmusic.bandcamp.com/ while staying at my uncle. The guy was playing crazy good at that time, when I was barely able to play short phrases from Metallica and GnR songs and I was looking at him like he was God or something.

I asked him: 'Damien, how can you play so fast and complex? Please share your secret with me!' Of course, there was no secret - he shrugged and said: 'I just practice a lot, man.' I was angry, because I thought he didn't want me to play as good as him laugh.gif

Later on, I found out that he was right - the secret was practicing biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 21 2014, 07:30 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Na there totally is a secret man, it will only cost you $300 and and i'll give you the one secret that everyone has been holding out on you.

Its true I saw it on a internet ad

why would the internet lie to me?

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 21 2014, 08:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 21 2014, 07:30 AM) *
Na there totally is a secret man, it will only cost you $300 and and i'll give you the one secret that everyone has been holding out on you.

Its true I saw it on a internet ad

why would the internet lie to me?

Is it one of those sites where you scroll down a page forever where they keep promising you all the amazing things that you're going to get, thinking that 'I can't believe I'm so lucky !' and then you finally get to the bit where you put in your card details ?

Yep, they're not dodgy at all ph34r.gif

Plus, I'll sell you the secrets for only $275.

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 21 2014, 11:17 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Does the Super Secret Society of Super Secret Shredders know that your giving away the Super Secret Secret so cheap?

(Sorry for anyone with a lisp)

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 21 2014, 02:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mith @ Jul 21 2014, 11:17 AM) *
Does the Super Secret Society of Super Secret Shredders know that your giving away the Super Secret Secret so cheap?

(Sorry for anyone with a lisp)

It's a secret so secret that not even the S.S.S.S.S.S. know about it ! ph34r.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Jul 21 2014, 02:44 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:50 PM