Guitar Fretboard Trainer, A small tool
-Zion-
May 20 2009, 06:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello everyone..

So along with my 1st anniversary here at GMC (EDIT: and 500th post.. weee laugh.gif), I've created a small program which I think could benefit some of the newer players here.

I present to you

Guitar Fretboard Trainer

The General Idea
I know there is a lot of other fretboard learning programs out there, but I've always had some problems translating the onscreen fretboard onto my guitar. Therefore I created this program.

The idea behind is that you should always have your guitar in your hands, and when a certain amount of time passes a random note will be chosen. This note is also spoken out loud, so you dont have to look at the screen all the time.

How it works
In the program you define the interval at which your random notes should appear. The default time is 5 seconds (I've based this time interval on practicing on 1 string at a time) for beginners (like myself), but I wanted to give others the opportunity to change the interval in case they wanted to work on more strings at a time.

Furthermore, there is a "practice" time, which is default set to 15:00 minutes. This is the total time the program will call out random notes. This was made in order for the user to set a specific time to work into their own practice schedule, and not worry about not practicing enough or practice too much.

The "Rules"
Interval Timer
This is a program to help you memorize the notes on the strings, and I just want to stress one EXTREMELY important thing: It is *NOT* a competition. The interval timer should be set to a time where you can get all the notes without rush and preferably with a little time to spare. Remember: It's about getting the notes RIGHT, not fast.

So lets say I wanted to use the program to practice notes on the 6st string, and only up to fret 12. I would set the interval timer for 3 seconds. If i wanted to take the whole string i would set it to 5 seconds.

Now, if I wanted to practice on both the 5th and 6st string, I would probably set it to around 12-15 seconds. You get the idea.

So the interval timer should be set to a time where you don't stress and have a little time to spare.
The interval timer is placed to the right of the big "Note" display. There is also a small progressbar, so you can see how much time there is left before next note is presented.

Playing the notes
Okay, I will tell you how i practice notes. At the moment I am practicing on both the 5th and 6th string. Lets say that the B note is called out. I start on 5th string 2 fret and play that note. I go onto 6th string 7th fret and play that note.. Then I continue on and take 5th string 14th fret and finally 6th string 19 fret. My hand is now long way up the neck.

The next note is called and it's E. Now the idea is to find the *CLOSEST* E note from where my hand is currently located. It happens to be the 5th string 19th fret, then the 6th string 12th fret, then the 5th string 7th fret and finally, this may seem stupid but I put my finger above the 6th string 1st fret on the headstock. The idea is to imprint the note into your memory, and doing this is a good idea I think.

One more thing. I *ONLY* use my index finger. Again this is to imprint the notes at my "starting" position. Furthermore I've added a little time to my interval, so I can practice vibrato on every note as well (wow.. double technique practice) laugh.gif

Different note types
When you first open the program, you will probably notice 5 checkboxes at the bottom. I will shortly explain what they mean here.
It may be overwhelming for new guitarplayers to have ALL notes thrown at you, so I've given you the opportunity to specify which notes you want to practice.
  • Regular: C, D, E, F, G, A, B
  • Sharps: C#, D#, F#, G#, A#
  • Flats: Db, Eb, Gb, Ab, Bb

There are also two more checkboxes which will include the special flats and sharps. Those that may seem odd, but are perfectly valid notes, and they are.
  • Special Sharps: B#, E#
  • Special Flats: Cb, Fb

Requirements
The program is written in C#, so here are the requirements.
  • A Microsoft Windows Operating System
  • Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 (can be downloaded here)
  • Around 1 MB free harddrive
  • EDIT: No installation needed. It's just an .exe file.

Bugs
Even though I'm the greatest developer in the world laugh.gif, there could still be some bugs in the program. Should you happen to encounter any bugs I have included an email address on the "About" screen.
If you left click the link, your default email program will try to launch.
If you right click the link the email will be copied to your clipboard and you can paste it into your web mail (or whatever else you use).
You can also just message me directly here on GMC. Whatever you think is easier/best.
EDIT: You can also contact me on my practice agenda.

Final words
At the end here I just want to say Thanks to Chris Evans for helping me out with this program (even though he hasn't seen it or anything). Without him the program would not be what it is today. cool.gif

I hope you like it, and message me if there's anything I can do to help you out.

EDIT:
One last thing i forgot to tell you..
Should you have any ideas on how to improve the program, feel free to contact me.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by -Zion-: May 20 2009, 09:01 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jesse
May 20 2009, 07:55 PM
GMC:er
WOHO! How cool ,you made software?! Im going to try this out!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 20 2009, 08:09 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
laugh.gif that sounds just like me!! laugh.gif

thats so cool mate!

Nice little tool, I like it smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 20 2009, 08:40 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
BRAVO!!!! Awesome tool bro!!! THANKS!!!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
skennington
May 20 2009, 08:40 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ May 20 2009, 03:09 PM) *
laugh.gif that sounds just like me!! laugh.gif

Thought the same thing, but then again, I haven't spoken to many Brit's.. laugh.gif

It's a nice program you have here man, thanks for sharing it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
NoSkill
May 20 2009, 08:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Cool idea!

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
AlexLion
May 20 2009, 09:02 PM
Wow, the fact YOU made it by self makes me download it!

EDIT : Such a cool program! Really simple and very useful!

This post has been edited by AlexLion: May 20 2009, 09:04 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 20 2009, 09:11 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is great ! Thanks for sharing mate! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: May 20 2009, 09:11 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 20 2009, 09:26 PM
Instructor
Wow, that's pretty cool man, it's great that you can create your own software this way smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 20 2009, 11:02 PM
Instructor
Thats just amazing man, congratulations on your music software !
I think members will benefit from it along lessons smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
May 20 2009, 11:46 PM
Instructor
Very good man. I love programing but I stick to my PHP/MySQL smile.gif haha

This is a great tool and cool to hear that GMC has some programers in the community.
I also enjoyed reading the documentation. Looks like the ones for open source software which I love reading.

Also congratulations on your 500 posts smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
shrednbuttah
May 21 2009, 02:22 AM
really helpful. thank you kind sir!

--------------------
"The object of my work is to raise it above my standard"

+Quote Post
Skalde
May 22 2009, 12:04 AM
Learning Roadie
thank you for this programm. Sometimes it says G sharp, but only a G is displayed.

+Quote Post
djohnneay
May 22 2009, 01:04 PM
Cool program, very simple and helpful !

Could it be also possible to have the right note playing when time is up, so you know you've got the right ?
At the moment there is no foolproof way to see if you got it right or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
-Zion-
May 22 2009, 01:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks everyone.. I made this for myself and because I wanted to add something to the community..

QUOTE (AlexLion @ May 20 2009, 10:02 PM) *
Wow, the fact YOU made it by self makes me download it!

EDIT : Such a cool program! Really simple and very useful!

Thanks.. I tried to make it as simple as possible..

QUOTE (Skalde @ May 22 2009, 01:04 AM) *
thank you for this programm. Sometimes it says G sharp, but only a G is displayed.

Okay, could you provide me with a little more detail?? which checkboxes do you have checked?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:32 AM